Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Laying Wood Floor

Options
  • 05-01-2006 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I have purchased a solid wood floor and have gotten a quote to put it down.

They are looking at charging €1250. There was 42 sq yds purchased.

The floor will be nailed. There will be OSB underneath (this is chipwood/plywood) . There will need to be some removal of skirting, they will need to manufacture some saddle boards to put down at certain areas to cover linkage. These will be made out of the new wood as well. This is primarily to link the Kitchen/Dining room area as this area is part tiled. The tiles are below the level of the Wood and therefore the wood there will need to have a part saddleboard look to allow a gentle slope down to the tile level.

The guy doing it is good and has been recommended.

Is this price ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Sounds about right to me.
    I got quoted €20/sq yd a year and a half ago.
    That was just to lay the floor and fit the scotias.
    No removal of skirting boards involved.

If the price includes him supplying all the nails & plywood, it sounds fair.

Have you looked in Brooks Thomas for ramps?

Instead of getting him to make up some himself, you can buy ready made ones to match your floor type, and they will ramp down nicely to your tiled floor.
    He might knock off €100 off the price cos there will be no labor involved for him to make them and they probably will only cost you about €30. From memory they come in 2 lengths (0.9m & 1.8m)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 canman

Thanks Lex,

Will look into the ramps definitely at the weekend. The wood we have is Irish Oak which tends to differ in grain than the European or American Oak that which most of the DIY stores supply. So if the grain is too different, don't mind paying for the matching of the grain. Suppose in the whole scheme of things is not too bad.

Thanks for you advice. Greatly appreciated.

canman wrote:
    Thanks Lex,

Will look into the ramps definitely at the weekend. The wood we have is Irish Oak which tends to differ in grain than the European or American Oak that which most of the DIY stores supply. So if the grain is too different, don't mind paying for the matching of the grain. Suppose in the whole scheme of things is not too bad.

Thanks for you advice. Greatly appreciated.
    Bring a piece of the wood with you when looking at the ramps. I got the oak ramp from Brooks and I got the floor from somewhere else. They match perfect.
    I wouldn't worry about the grain on the ramp as its only a small piece of wood. Its the colour you will want to match. And if its a slight shade out, I wouldn't worry about it.
    The ramps are not specific to Brookes though...I've seen them in other places aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Hello,
    I have 50 sq yard that I need to get floored (solid wood) ... (hallway and living room)

If this all goes well for you could you PM me the guys details ???

This is my first house and finding it hard to get people with recommendations...

Any help appreciated cheers...

-A

aloleary wrote:
    Hello,
    I have 50 sq yard that I need to get floored (solid wood) ... (hallway and living room)

If this all goes well for you could you PM me the guys details ???

This is my first house and finding it hard to get people with recommendations...

Any help appreciated cheers...

-A
    Where do you live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

I will be living in north Dublin... near Sutton...

-Alan

aloleary wrote:
    I will be living in north Dublin... near Sutton...

-Alan
    Sorry, guy who put my floor down wouldn't travel 5 miles outside Naas for a job..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Alan,

Just PM'd you

Dools

Advertisement