Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ever happened to our january storm cycle?

Options
  • 05-01-2006 4:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Just thought Id bring this up being the time of year and all. Im sure most of us remember growing up with a good storm every january. Where I am on the west coast, we used to get the brunt of some bad ass storms, power cuts for days on in end, trees knocked over and the amount washed up on the shore's was incredable. One year we got a fish box of assorted fish just by walking along the beech. Is there cycle involved, or is the recent lull a precedent of sorts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Last January/February was bad enough IIRC, we had more than our fair share of stormy days. In fact, my weather station recorded a wind gust of 136Km/h on 13th Feb last. We're definitely seem to be getting more settled, but cooler weather this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Wind - what was that? :D

In my part of Laois, it takes some wind to even stir the branches of the trees.
    The joys of living in the Nore valley with hills to your W, SW, S, E AND NE

NW Winds get here though... and as they squeeze down into the valley the gusts can be impressive, say 35-40mph gusts! Kinda mini Mistral! :D

Advertisement