Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Galway accomodation ment to be this expensive?

Options
  • 05-01-2006 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

(I know this is long but please, bear with me….)

I would like to know just what in the hell is going on with the cost of renting accommodation in Galway at the moment….!?

Here’s the story…

Myself and my Fiancé (getting married in March;) ) are currently living on Prospect Hill in a 1bed apt. smallish as it is, it has served our needs to date.

However about 2 weeks before Christmas Mould struck (dun dun duuun) our clothes, my guitar case, the lower parts of the walls, the flooring, etc…etc… the landlord (who is by far the best I’ve ever had by the way) immediately got a surveyor in check it out and he said it’s a combination of bad and unsuitable venting by the builders and that there’s no outlet for the washer/dryer, so its gotta be fixed and he handed us back our deposit there and then.

So, we gotta move, and have been looking for a place since then…

Its now 3 weeks down the line and we’ve looked at a good few places, 2 or 3 shoe boxes and some that are just miles from anything, for about €700per mth and have resorted to getting a large 1bed or a 2bed place and stretched the budget to €800per mth (ish!)

Yet low and behold some bunch of smart-ass property companies have attacked the rental market in Galway city Centre.

Average 1 bed €850 to €950!!!!!!!!!

Average 2 Bed between €950 and €1200!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Some of the cheeky F@^*s are even asking for up to 6weeks rent as a deposit plus a full month in advance (which could add up to €2250… UP FRONT!) in one place we looked at…

It’s a disgrace…. Sure I used to pay €725 only 18mths ago for a 2bed Duplex Apt 20mins from O’Connell St. in Dublin!!!!!

Someone HELP!!!!:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

There are some very good places to be found for reasonable money, but not at this time of year as any good and cheap places have been snapped up by Galway's high proportion of students back in August/september.

There are some humourous prices being asked by some landlords/property management companys for fúcking kips.

What grade are you looking for? When I was looking back in mid-october, the average price for a 2bed was 800 or so. Are you and your fiancée willing to share (soon to be newly-weds, so I doubt it smile.gif) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭half_dead

Yeah, about 800 was what we had expected to pay ourselves...

Students I would imagine wouldn't have 800 to spend on a large 1bed though and we ain't even looking near NUIG or GMIT....

We had thought about sharing, but between the amount of stuff we have, and the problems we've both had in the past sharing with ppl who were... shall we say... unpleasent! We're both a bit put off by the idea.

(Yes...and we're soon to be newlyweds:D ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

~What part of the town are you looking in?

Salthill/Taylor's Hill would be quite expensive id imagine, but id have thought the likes of the Wellpark centre wouldnt be too bad? (Thats the only new/decent place I can think off the top of my head)

try dun na coiribr!fairly cheap accomodation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭OrangeOranges

750 -950 is average price for 2 bed city centre apartment.

1 bed - 600 - 800

You are just looking in the wrong places. Also you need to be able to talk for yourself in meeting landlords. I've always found landlords willing to knock 50 quid off the rent or throw in heating if you can guarantee them quiet tenants who pay on time for a 6month plus period.

What about edwards square? They have an office in town too right beside hmv. If you dont know it i'll find number somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jbx2005

Try Estoria House. me and da fiancee lived there for 2.5 years. Two bed was 800 1 year ago. All owned by Heskin Auctioneers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Prices here are a joke, but like someone said before: usually, you can negotiate with landlords, even agencies sometimes. (I got a 2 bedroom apt in Salthill for 680,-, and it's not a dump! ;-))

And the problem is: people are still paying these exorbitant prices, so there's no need for landlords to lower the rent - they can still push it up, cause there's always one...

For 900 you should be able to get a 4 bed house in Salthill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭half_dead

All very good points folks, and I have actually tried almost all of those places and agencies mentioned...

Mind you I haven't come across any that were 750 for a 2bed in the city at all...

But, good news... after a very resourceful hunt down of a new agency (By my girl!:) ) we got a new apt this morning...:D Wood quay @ 800per mth for a 2bed and they're kitting it out with new bed/suite/lockers/kitchen-unit etc....

Crisis over... mind you it just goes to show that if a much smaller agency can offer a reasonable price for a nice 2bed right in the middle of the city, how much are other people getting skrewed for by paying out much more cash for places smaller, the same or with less ammenities?

Buyers BEWARE!!! there are a lot of MAJOR con artists out there!

how much would a mortgage be?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

question is if you'd get a mortgage that easily (I know I wouldnt, single income, foreigner, with house prices around 300 000 in Galway City - not a chance, not even with 100 % mortgages) - even if a mortgage would work out cheaper than renting...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

SyxPak wrote:
    how much would a mortgage be?

Jayzus

lets say a 100% 250k mortgage over 25 years and mandatory life assurance on top of that . €1200 for the mortgage itself and then the life assurance so €1400 a month all in if you smoke.

if the gaff is an apartment, pick a number for service charges, up to €200 a month as well as the €1400 but typically another €100

even new houses now come with estate service charges .

total outgoings €1500 to €1600 less a smidge of mortgage interest tax relief which would knock €50 a month off .

min outgoings (non smokers / house no service charges) 250k mortgage over 25 years = €1250 after tax relief.

Aye, I was thinking.

Nearly decked my uncle-in-law over the christmas in a 'discussion' regarding Ireland's relative prosperity.

"Best it's ever been or will ever be" he said.
    "The country's fúcked" I said.
    "Anyone can buy a house in Ireland [dependent on desired location]" he said.
    "Not if you want to have basic (1st world) amenities available" I said.

Course, he has made his money and is sitting comfortable (worked for it too mind, don't think there was much silverware touching tongues) so of course his perspective is a littler different.

I won't be buying my first property in this country if I can help it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

May be a stupid question,but have you tried www.daft.ie ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Darven

im having the same problem with finding anything decent at the moment in cork. nothing anyway fesible for me and my partner for under a grand most times. some suberb have just gone mad and others just dont seem to have anything worth renting. we both drive so thats a bonus buti certainly dont want to spend half my day commuting just to save money but looks like thats the way it will end up.

also let.ie is a good one too.

my boyfriend is in athenry in a new four bedroomed house that is really spacious and the rent is under 800 a month for entire thing

Advertisement