Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl

Options
  • 05-01-2006 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

We moved into Wood last Feb and got the NTL hooked up - No problems with them or their service until a couple of months ago. The digital box would occasionally freeze so you'd have to take the card out and start again. This I can live with but over the past week the reception has been wobbly and freezing v. frequently - v. destressing when ur in the middle of Desperate Housewives!

Is anyone else's reception playing up at the moment? Or have any of u had ur digi boxes replaced by them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

The reception has been a bit wonky over the last few days, but the cutout during desperate housewives was bad even by those standards. Don't think it's an issue with the box as we have two separate boxes, and the reception went on both of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Jingle

Might give them a bell tomorrow to see what the story with the bad reception at the moment in the area is. Will let u know what they say.

Better not cut out during next Tuesday nights DH ....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Manny7 wrote:
    The reception has been a bit wonky over the last few days, but the cutout during desperate housewives was bad even by those standards. Don't think it's an issue with the box as we have two separate boxes, and the reception went on both of them.

Yeah, same happened to us as well on Tuesday. The NTL connection into Charlesland is not a proper cable connection but an MMDS signal. I think that means that there is one dish in Charleland that we all feed off. The end result seems to be a worse than usual NTL signal. The picture seems to pixelate a lot of the time, and the software on the box is pretty flaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭lastsaturday

anyone know of any objections to putting a sky dish on the houses? i hate NTL, their service is appaling...

i'd like to go with some sort of broadband too, have the phone lines been connected up yet?

anyone know of any objections to putting a sky dish on the houses? i hate NTL, their service is appaling...

The management company seem dead set against this, although I don't know if any residents have made any objections.
    i'd like to go with some sort of broadband too, have the phone lines been connected up yet?

A good few have, it depends on the block you are in. Each phone box serves about 4-6 houses. I don't think they will bother to connect all until most of the houses have been completed. Broadband is available in the Greystones exchange.

• Advertisement

good man, Eoin_s.. i think we'll change your name to "Dalai Lama of Greystones"

we went down to "measure for the curtains" on friday, and got our first look inside our new apartment.. we were not very amused; to see that there is still at least 3 to 4 weeks work needed to complete... holes in walls, broken sinks, cracked tiles, balcony floor all uneven, etc.. missing plaster.. jesus.. seeing the house in that way has really put me off wanting it.

oh yes, and they're still kangoing the floor in the lounge because of the gas leak...

we're supposed to be snagging on Saturday. what do you think the odds are on that?

eoin_s wrote:
    The management company seem dead set against this, although I don't know if any residents have made any objections.

considering, we employ the management company, i think i might tell them where to go.

i am also going to be performing a managment company review when i move in. just to ensure we are getting the best value for our money. there seems to be a rather large discreprency in service for charge right now... perhaps we can negotiate a better contract, or check out the competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

at least 10% of the houses in Charlesland have satellite dishes on them.. can't see the management company making them all take them down.

besides, as you say, we employ the management company.

personally I find the NTL service to be fine - the outage during Desperate Housewives was the only time it has gone properly down in the 6 months I've had it, and it was only down for < 10 minutes. Compare this to the Chorus service in the rest of Greystones - its fuzzy, snowy and regularly goes off-air for hours at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

loyatemu wrote:
    Compare this to the Chorus service in the rest of Greystones - its fuzzy, snowy and regularly goes off-air for hours at a time.
    Ehhhhhhhhh, no. Apart from C4/SkyOne sometimes, the reception is perfect in my house. And i can't remember the last time its gone off-air and certainly not for 'hours at a time'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

well I can only go on the service that my parents and several of my friends have and its atrocious. I'd take NTL any day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 nicm

i've had the same problem with NTL over the past few weeks. ive also experienced channels "disappearing" and i have to re-boot the box each time to get the back. theres no point in trying to ring NTL to complain, they just dont care.

i originally went with NTL as i thought the mgmt company would enforce their "absolutely no dishes" rule. then i started seeing dishes popping up all over the place so i rang Cuala to ask what the story was and was essentially told (off the record) that its okay to put up a dish, but ideally on the back of the house rather than the front, which was quite irritating as i would have gone with Sky had i known this in advance :(

what exactly do the mgmt company do does anyone know?

nicm wrote:
    what exactly do the mgmt company do does anyone know?

Management Company posts moved to a new thread as it is probably a big discussion in itself!

Eoin

Advertisement