Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-refundable deposits

Options
  • 05-01-2006 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

I put a deposit on a suite in Land Of Leather.

Is it legal for them to say its a non-refundable deposit?

Can I ask for a refund stating some random excuse?

Cheers
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

riddle me this .. if the deposit was refundable what puprose would it serve?

Why bother having a deposit system at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I'd be 99.9% certain non-refundable deposits are legal. You did choose to purhcase that product/service and in the interim the business in question held it for you in good faith (they're basically giving you a few weeks credit to pay it off).

I'm involved in a service involving deposits and they are really needed to protect me from financial loss.

whippet says it all for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yeah they are allowed to , they have to protect themselves. Say they have somethign held for you and it's the last one. They may be turnign other customers down only for you to come back in and say you want your money back. They may well be stuck with it then. Or if they special order an item they normally would'nt stock as it doesnt sell very well.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Savman wrote:
    I'd be 99.9% certain non-refundable deposits are legal. D
    ok follow me on this
    deposits are neither legal or illegal and the same for the signs
    deposits are take as part payment for a product or service and can be assumed to be the first installment for the total purchase of the product so in effect ,unless otherwise agreed with the retailer, you have purchased the product or service for which the retailer will hold on to the product until you cough up the rest of the cash which will normally not incur any intrest or charge like hire purchase in which case the law is different totally.

unless agreed with the retailer that the deposit is a holding fee for a few day,which some retailers do if asked,the product is sold to you by your deposit the consumer so you cannot get ur deposit back as there is nothing wrong with the product so why should the retailer be at a loss of a sale just cause you suddenly dont like the colour. mean i know but thats life

remember ask the stupid questions saves making stupid mistakes

• Advertisement
Advertisement