Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer shops in Cork City?

Options
  • 05-01-2006 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

All I know is Maplins. Am looking for a sound card.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Check out soundstore on oliver plunkett street, they should have stuff like that, there's also PC Superstore across the river from College of Comm, next to Chorus' Place.

Oliver Plunkett street is a good place to start though, alot of electrical and computer stores on it, aswell as places like Princes' street (just off Oliver Plunkett Street) which has a few electrical shops too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Yep Soundstore probably your best bet in the City. PC Superstore are quite expensive in my experience.

Venturing further....Harvey Norman have a good range or peripherals, as do Flor Griffins at the Douglas Woollen mills.

PC World due to open at Mahon point during Q1 this year....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

PC Superstore was on the quays by the opera house... They went bankrupt a couple of years ago... The place by the College of Commerce is a complete rip off.

Maplins arent exactly cheap either... There's a place down in the Industrial estate on the crosshaven road in Carrigaline that used to sell cheap stuff, he's probably still there but might have gotten expensive since I was last in there. There's not much choice in the matter... Probably your best bet selection wise is soundstore (blackpool I'd say).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

There's also a place on the way out to Blackpool....never been in there mind you....

As you drive along the dual carriageway past Heineken, straight through the set of lights for the turning to Blackpool village (on your left) and on your right is an old Mill type building with a pc peripherals sign on it.

Someone told me ages ago that it was a real goldmine of pc stuff, but as I say, bever tried it myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Cochise

Q&V In Ballincollig have a great cheap soundcard for €24.99, 5.1 surrond sound, rca inputs and outputs. there located behind the cinema just down from aldi. i bought the card myself and the sound qualtiy is good and it was easy to install

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

maplin are very expensive! avoid like the plague! best bet is to buy online if u ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭omahony99

Thanks, got one in Soundstore in Blackpool for €22.
    In the mean time I got the audio working (wrong driver was installed) so hopefully as I didn't even open the box they'll allow me to return it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hah, if you think Maplin are expensive I take it you've never set foot near the Cork Computer Clinic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 qwas

Hi Guys,

Does anyone happen to know the opening hours of the PC Word mentioned in post No.3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Seems to be open regular hours (9-6 or 7)... Not 100% but I would presume that they'd have late shopping like Mahon Pt. Centre itself...

• Advertisement

they were open late last Friday anyway...

Thanks for the fast answer. I want to purchase a Freecom mobile drive and the only shop I found was this one. I finish my work at 5.30 in Timoleague so it is not impossible to reach that shop open.
    Thanks once more.

no problem.. welcome to boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

PC World are open til 9 on Thursdays and Fridays but don't have a great selection of sound cards... wouldn't be worth heading out there I'd say.

Thanks Gauge. It is a useful information for me. The lack of the selection of sound cards is no problem, but I hope they have mobile drive yet :) . Last time I was there they had only 4 or 6 from the 80GB type.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Does anybody know if Soundtrax(near where the old house of music is) would have a decent range of soundcards? Need to do a Music assignment but just found out that our computer at home doesn't actually have a soundcard so I've no MIDI options and cant record to Soundforge. What would people recommend(ie. how much to spend, any good models)?
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

I've never been to Mahon point before, is it far out? Which bus do I get.

I need to find a USB to Ethernet adapter in town... where can I find one? I guess if I head out to PC World tomorrow night...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Harvey Norman, on the Kinsale road where
    woodies used to be, do computers and accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

Does anybody know how to get to Harvey Norman without a car? (With the bus)
    Leaving from city centre.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Em, you could get the 3 or 6 as far as turner's cross and walk... There's no bus right to the door...

There might be a better bus, but those 2 (^) are the only ones i can think of...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Or take Cobh train to Little Island and find the Harvey Norman there!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭DePurpereWolf

Wound't ever have thought of little island, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,550 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Where is best to buy a laptop in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Holy zombie thread ressurection Batman!

Nowhere really. As much as I would recommend supporting local businesses (I am one!) any shop in Cork selling laptops is usually :
    a) Overpriced
    b) Selling old stock which has been on the shelves for months
    c) Ill-equipped to handle problems under warranty.

Buy online, you'll get a better deal, an up to date model, and if you buy from the likes of Dell, you get next day call out support it something goes wrong. Plus Dell have their Outlet store where you can get some pretty good deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I think that's a bit unfair Paintdoctor. I had a look in PC world recently and they hav an ok selection for a reasonable price. For the average user that's not looking for something too specific I think they are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 blackest

pcworld is a rip off, same as maplin ok maybe a bit cheaper than maplin but neither can be recommended, currys next to pcworld is the same company but sometimes has stock when pcworld is out.

There must be some good irish stores somewhere which offer hardware at a reasonable price.

It would be worth making a list.

I'm looking for a powered usb 2 hub but i'm not paying stupid money for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I'm late to this but for the sake of your wallet I would suggest you buy online:

Komplett.ie
    Pixmania.ie (accepts Laser)
    Amazon.co.uk (free post over 25GBP surprising well priced and customer service that is the best I ever encountered)

The shops around charge a HIGH premium for parts where as online retailers will sell more OEM stuff and as they buy volume have much better prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

I found this Ebay store absolutely excellent.
    http://stores.ebay.ie/VTEL-Ireland?_rdc=1
    Jonathan is in Blarney and his service is next to none.
    He stocks a fairly good selection of well priced peripherals and other bits and pieces.
    A good place to look for USB hubs, mices, keyboards etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 blackest

morgana wrote: »
    I found this Ebay store absolutely excellent.
    http://stores.ebay.ie/VTEL-Ireland?_rdc=1
    Jonathan is in Blarney and his service is next to none.
    He stocks a fairly good selection of well priced peripherals and other bits and pieces.
    A good place to look for USB hubs, mices, keyboards etc.

Brilliant I am in blarney too do you have an address ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Eh it's an Ebay store, so ...
    But delivery is usually next day and a lot of items are postage free or very reasonable.
    Or contact him via ebay to see if collection is possible.

Advertisement