Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best area of engineering

• 05-01-2006 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hello all,
    I have to fill out my CAO application in a few weeks and im feeling very nervouus thinking about it. I was set on mechanical engineering in DCU but ive talked to a few people and theyve said that its near impossible to find a job in mechanical.

What is the best area of engineering for gaurenteed, well paid work? Please give me your side of things, i really need some solid advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭franman

Yep there are no jobs for graduate mechanical or maufacturing engineers at the min while civil and stuctural engineers are in demand. However in 5 years time who knows what the jobscene will be like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Civil is job central AFAIK, especially with that whopper nationwide infastructure project that was recently announced. I'm actually studying Civil myself. It is indeed very difficult to find a mechanical eng job since there's no real automotive industry in Ireland.

Having said that, I would go with the degree you are actually interested in. Seriously, if it's money you want, do Actuary or something. College is a lot lot easier if you are into what you study. If you aren't, you'll find it's all too easy to just skip lectures all the time and I'm sure you can see where that'll lead you.

What is the Mechanical department like in DCU? You might want to consider an undenominated course. I can only speak from my experience in UCD but I can imagine it would be useful to someone like yourself. I personally regretted doing the undenominated entry because I pretty much knew I was going to do Civil and there was more pressure at the end of the year as places in the various departments were based on exams, so bear that in mind.

And finally, Civil is a complete doss compared to any of the others. I'm getting away with murder!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Maybe from the DCU qualification, But Mech Graduates from trinity don't seem to be having any trouble getting a job.
    It is indeed very difficult to find a mechanical eng job since there's no real automotive industry in Ireland.

O dear god, you've no idea what you're talking about. The automotive industry is just one path you can go down in mech. It's not the only one. it's akin to saying, "no jobs in civil because we don't build skyscrappers".

Form what I've heard people in general are finding it hard to get jobs on the strength of DCU eng and CompApp degress, and that it isn't realyl a reflection o nthe market.

But Mech Graduates from trinity don't seem to be having any trouble getting a job.

Do you know this to be true or do you just happen to know a few TCD graduates with jobs? The only TCD mech eng graduate I know still cannot get a job 1 year after graduating.
    O dear god, you've no idea what you're talking about. The automotive industry is just one path you can go down in mech. It's not the only one. it's akin to saying, "no jobs in civil because we don't build skyscrappers".

You have incorrectly interpreted what I was saying here. I never said mechanical engineers only work in the automotive industry. That industry is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) employer of mechanical engineers and its absence in Ireland is the reason it's hard for mech graduates to find jobs.

And there's no need to be so bitchy, this is the engineering forum, not AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 TE0N

I would definitely agree that you should do what you are interested in.
    I had the same dilemma last year and can say that I am totally relieved that I went with Mechanical Eng. Knowing a few studying civil and listening to students giving presentations on their work experience (imagine a student describing how she worked on car park layout after a students stimulating experience with BAE Systems), I am glad I didn’t go civil.

Prospects gives great information on careers

I wouldn’t worry about the job prospect (but I am more than willing to travel beyond our coast for a job). You also must remember that Mechanical Engineering is very diverse degree, with a large amount of industries demanding a Mechanical Engineer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 amistyfog

So do you guys think DCU is poor for engineering??
    Ok well there seems to be mixed opinions on mechanical but generally it seems to be hard enough to get decent well paid work in ireland, yes, no??

Breadmonkey, i know exactly what youre saying and that has always been my philosiphy but by the same token i want to be able to earn a decent wage and live a comfortable life where finding work isint a problem.

Im really into computers but ive always strayed away from the idea of computer or software engineering because A) Im generally told theres **** all work to be found and b) the course contains ALOT of maths which is something i would dislike.

Thanks for all the replies so far by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A lot of mech eng students in my class went into IT. Many went into accountancy too. Many firms prefer a fresh mind rather than an accountant trained in a totally different way to what they want.

I have considered undenominated and i intend on putting engineering at trinity as my first choice for that reason(but the points for it are 450+ and i dont know if ill get that), generally the undenominated entries are very high in points which is why i am reluctant to put them down.

the course contains ALOT of maths which is something i would dislike.

You should be aware that all engineering degrees contain a lot of maths. For example, last year I had maths algebra, maths calculus, fluid mechanics, maths physics.... There was also maths in physics, chemistry, thermodynamics and so on. I would advise you to spend a lot of time on maths for the LC (of course, don't let that detract from you other subjects) and get comfortable with it. That wil pay off big time next year.
    Breadmonkey, i know exactly what youre saying and that has always been my philosiphy but by the same token i want to be able to earn a decent wage and live a comfortable life where finding work isint a problem.

I just re-read my original post and realised that my comments with regard to money may have come across a bit sappy. That wasn't my intention. Everyone wants a good wage.
    Ok well there seems to be mixed opinions on mechanical but generally it seems to be hard enough to get decent well paid work in ireland,

From what I've heard, yes. And I think that's fair. I'm not trying to knock Mech as a degree/career.

amistyfog wrote:
    I have considered undenominated and i intend on putting engineering at trinity as my first choice for that reason(but the points for it are 450+ and i dont know if ill get that), generally the undenominated entries are very high in points which is why i am reluctant to put them down.

I strongly believe that you (or anyone) can get those points if you just do a decent amount of study. Be honest with yourself, but don't go mad and devote every waking minute to the LC. And there's no need for silly 8 hour marathon sessions that some people go for.
    I am glad I didn’t go civil.
    *Growls at TE0N!* :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭charlesanto

One of my mates is doing something like that in Galway. Very intense course!

I strongly believe that you (or anyone) can get those points if you just do a decent amount of study. Be honest with yourself, but don't go mad and devote every waking minute to the LC. And there's no need for silly 8 hour marathon sessions that some people go for.
    True I just really need to get up off my arse and start doing some proper study.

Im going to put down trinity as my first choice anyways. Ive been completly thrown off mechanical now bar maby medical mechanical in DCU.

Ive been hesitant to go into civil as ive always had the view that its by far the most popular and the housing boom has to end sometime. I just thought/think it will eventually become overperscribed, am i wrong? Is civil a guarenteed secure area?

Just seen your post charlesanto, ive been interested in medical mechanical for a while now, seems to be a guarenteed area for work.

Is civil a guarenteed secure area?
    Civil is job central AFAIK, especially with that whopper nationwide infastructure project that was recently announced.

I said WHOPPER!:D

Where are you doing civil breadmonkey?

UCDizzle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

LiouVille wrote:
    Maybe from the DCU qualification, But Mech Graduates from trinity don't seem to be having any trouble getting a job.

Form what I've heard people in general are finding it hard to get jobs on the strength of DCU eng and CompApp degress, and that it isn't realyl a reflection o nthe market.

LiouVille :mad: , rite for a start have you any actual facts to back these dubious comments.

As a DCU eng student and from talking to various employers; DCU has actually an advantage when looking for a job; as a 6month work placement programme exists (INTRA) in third year. When employers are looking for college graduates its looks very good to have on ones CV to have already worked with Intel, HP etc.

I know my course had over 80% of that class found a job, where as many others went travelling etc.

Wooly what specific eng degree did you do/ are you doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

amistyfog wrote:
    True I just really need to get up off my arse and start doing some proper study.

I'm going to put down trinity as my first choice anyways. I've been completly thrown off mechanical now bar maby medical mechanical in DCU.
    Hi, I was once where you are now trying to find the correct road to go down. I picked Mechanical in the end. One thing I'll say is not to worry about future job prospects as these things can't be predicted and If you like your area of expertise and are good at it then you should have no problems with finding jobs. Your life in general will be a lot better if your doing something you like as oppose to something that you hope you will grow to like (that day may never come).

I don't know where some of the previous "facts" about poor employment in mechanical came from but I would say they're ungrounded, see part of a '04 survey of graduates here, what people don't seem to grasp is that just because you don't see many mechanical engineer positions advertised then there must not be any jobs for them. That's completly untrue, mechanical engineering is a VERY broad discipline and graduates can end up working in all sorts of different areas (as the survey kind of showed), that's one of the main reasons I chose it.
    Basically all I'm saying is choose whatever area you'll think you'll be happiest in and don't mind the other factors, engineers no matter what type will always be in demand.

• Advertisement

pauln wrote:
    I don't know where some of the previous "facts" about poor employment in mechanical came from but I would say they're ungrounded, see part of a '04 survey of graduates here

First of all them surveys are complete bull. Second, im a graduate mechanical engineer that struggled for ages to get a job. The last time i was talking to people out of my class they were all struggling aswell. The Head of my engineering department told last years graduating class that for the next few years graduate mechanical engineers are gonna struggle to get a job in that area.

amistyfog wrote:
    Just seen your post charlesanto, ive been interested in medical mechanical for a while now, seems to be a guarenteed area for work.

No such thing as guarenteed work. If you pick a course because you thing you are guarenteed work when you finish the degree you might not end up finishing it. Pick something you like!!! There is a reason everyone gives you this advise.:cool:

Franman, as i said to Breadminkey
    amistyfog wrote:
    .....i know exactly what youre saying and that has always been my philosiphy but by the same token i want to be able to earn a decent wage and live a comfortable life where finding work isint a problem.

Any thoughts on the computer/ electronic side of things? Is it interesting? Is there work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

ive been interested in medical mechanical for a while now, seems to be a guarenteed area for work.

What companies would look for medical mechanical engineers? The closest i can think of is Tyco. Would the biopharms(Wyeth, J&J)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Im doing an elec eng PhD and loads of the graduating class here seem to be sorted for work. The numbers are really dropping for Elec/Comp Eng in UL this year. Only 6 first year comp eng'ers for this academic year... very low. And NO girls... boo. (Not that I mind being the only girl of course :v: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

PDelux wrote:
    What companies would look for medical mechanical engineers? The closest i can think of is Tyco. Would the biopharms(Wyeth, J&J)?
    The BioMedical Engineering guys that I share a lot of subjects with at the minute are going to the likes of Medtronic Galway, Boston Scientific Cork, Cook Limerick etc on co-op.
    Biomedical and medical mechanical engineering would be pretty similar I guess. There seems to be a good amount of BioMed companies in this country. BioMed is a pretty hot area at the minute, a lot of R&D going on in it.

Yeah workers for the whole medical engineering area seem to be in demand. How do you find the engineering couses in UL 440Hz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

amistyfog wrote:
    Wooly what specific eng degree did you do/ are you doing?

Mechatronics DCU. A tough, demanding but well balanced course which integrates the best of both electronics and mechanical engineering!

I seen you were looking at medical mechanical, from speaking to various people this looks to be the most promising course atm, due to boston scientific etc all setting up huge plants here in ireland. My course will also suffice in this 'medical boom' along with many other courses available nowadays as other courses have the same backbone and alot of the same modules are linked with courses.

Ones final year project or thesis also can affect what carrer path one want to take eg, if you study mechanics of a car, plane, microbilogy, manufacturing processes, research etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

pauln wrote:
    The BioMedical Engineering guys that I share a lot of subjects with at the minute are going to the likes of Medtronic Galway, Boston Scientific Cork, Cook Limerick etc on co-op.
    Biomedical and medical mechanical engineering would be pretty similar I guess. There seems to be a good amount of BioMed companies in this country. BioMed is a pretty hot area at the minute, a lot of R&D going on in it.

Boston Scientific in Galway are always on the look-out for Biomedical/Mechanical Engineers.

A lot of smaller industries look for these type of engineers also. melit medical in galway, Stryker in East Cork are 2 examples of smaller companies who would look for Mechanical/Biomedical Engineers.

'Biomedical and medical mechanical engineering would be pretty similar I guess' You'd be right in that. In NUIG they have courses for these 2 areas - the majority of the subjects are exactly the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

franman wrote:
    Yep there are no jobs for graduate mechanical or maufacturing engineers at the min while civil and stuctural engineers are in demand. However in 5 years time who knows what the jobscene will be like.

Your havin a larf right! In my final year and iv gotten a few calls regarding work in the next few months. They are crying out for Mechs in the Munster area - Centi core job and Anjem have all new plants and there are about 6 more companies sitting on the fence on the pharmaceutical side ready to build in Ireland. Buddy has been moved from Intel to Pfizer and now he is off to someone else they cant get him to jobs fast enough!
    pauln wrote:
    I don't know where some of the previous "facts" about poor employment in mechanical came from but I would say they're ungrounded, see part of a '04 survey of graduates here, what people don't seem to grasp is that just because you don't see many mechanical engineer positions advertised then there must not be any jobs for them.
    Vert true facts actually in UL and they pride themselves on getting grads jobs - know a few grads and they have worked or are working in engineering since leaving in one form or another.
    franman wrote:
    First of all them surveys are complete bull. Second, im a graduate mechanical engineer that struggled for ages to get a job. The last time i was talking to people out of my class they were all struggling aswell. The Head of my engineering department told last years graduating class that for the next few years graduate mechanical engineers are gonna struggle to get a job in that area.

Not true for UL they make there 3rd years get 9months work experience and have massive job drives with companies coming into UL all the time. Have been in 4 seminars regarding Post Grad engineering programs. Have been to the Careers day and met loads of comapanies that are very interested in getting Mechs.

Your a grad i understand but where are you getting your info? The only other extremely flexible engineering is Marine Eng and i know a few and they can talk the talk and walk the walk on any job.

Advertisement