Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

west wing

Options
  • 05-01-2006 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

Just to let you know the west wing starts again tonight at 10:45 pm rte 1 to night

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Which season is this? I am watching it on E4. Is this the one where Josh leaves to work with a new guy going for president or the season after?

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

MrPudding wrote:
    Which season is this? I am watching it on E4. Is this the one where Josh leaves to work with a new guy going for president or the season after?

MrP

I would imagine this is the very latest session, since the last session shown on RTE was all about the campaign to get Santas Little Help... sorry I mean ... Senator Santoes nomanated as the Democractic nomanie for Presidentacy.

Not going to ruin the surprise, but lets just say you know who it is by the end of the last session shown on RTE, so if you don't you are a session behind.

Unless this is just a repeat of the session.

Wicknight wrote:
    I would imagine this is the very latest session, since the last session shown on RTE was all about the campaign to get Santas Little Help... sorry I mean ... Senator Santoes nomanated as the Democractic nomanie for Presidentacy.

Not going to ruin the surprise, but lets just say you know who it is by the end of the last session shown on RTE, so if you don't you are a session behind.

Unless this is just a repeat of the session.
    Arse. That is the one I am currently watching. I'd say it is halfway through at best. Just had the episode where he had to say how good ethenol was.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

MrPudding wrote:
    Arse. That is the one I am currently watching. I'd say it is halfway through at best. Just had the episode where he had to say how good ethenol was.

MrP

Hmmm to compund to the woes of losing Aaron Sorkin a few years ago, this series will start with Leo Mc Garry, but John Spencer, the actor who played the part, died of a heart attack a few weeks ago.

Aside from losing a fine actor, Leo was the soul of the series, and whats more, I won't spoil it for you watching it on More 4, Leo was taking an active part in the Presidental campaign.

Oh to try and keep this in politics for a while longer. Richard Shifft, (Toby Zeigler) was recently approached to run for congress as a democrat.

Freelancer wrote:
    Hmmm to compund to the woes of losing Aaron Sorkin a few years ago, this series will start with Leo Mc Garry, but John Spencer, the actor who played the part, died of a heart attack a few weeks ago.
    You are kidding ... didn't know that, that is a terrible shame (him dying I mean, not John Spencer) :(
    Freelancer wrote:
    Oh to try and keep this in politics for a while longer. Richard Shifft, (Toby Zeigler) was recently approached to run for congress as a democrat.

Interesting. I think we need more democrat-slash-actors .. it works wonders for the Republicans.

Anyone see the very funny bit in Entourage where Richard Shifft sends himself up by telling his agent he wants to do more actions roles :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭koolkat

I have the box set of season 1-6 and i'm going square eyed from watching it. so what season is on rte tonight? how many seasons have they made?

koolkat wrote:
    I have the box set of season 1-6 and i'm going square eyed from watching it. so what season is on rte tonight? how many seasons have they made?

This is 7 I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Interestingly enough to boxset is called "The Bartlet Years" Maybe they are going to continue on the series even after Bartlet has served two terms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭koolkat

it'll ruin it if i watch it now so i think i'll tape it till i catch up

koolkat wrote:
    it'll ruin it if i watch it now so i think i'll tape it till i catch up
    Same here. I checked online. After Friday's episode there are five left on E4. I will Sky plus the RTE episodes to watch once season six is over on E4.

Interesting that Richard Shifft being asked to run for Congress. Martin Sheen for president I say. Apparently he is quite active for the Democratic party.

MrP

• Advertisement

penexpers wrote:
    Maybe they are going to continue on the series even after Bartlet has served two terms?

I would say so, and my money is on a Republic president probably played by that guy from Mash who keeps cropping up, since he seems much more "sensible" than the West Wing normally portrays Republicans.

(and for all you E4 views, don't freak out, that isn't based on anything you guys haven't already seen)

MrPudding wrote:
    Same here. I checked online. After Friday's episode there are five left on E4. I will Sky plus the RTE episodes to watch once season six is over on E4.

Interesting that Richard Shifft being asked to run for Congress. Martin Sheen for president I say. Apparently he is quite active for the Democratic party.

MrP

More than that he was a vocal anti war campaigner, arrested on numerous occasions on Anti Apartheid demostrations and Anti US South American Policy in the 80s, and spoken at several anti Gulf and Iraq war demos. Hell he even gave a public "presidental pardon" to the Catholic Workers wot attacked that US plane in Shannon, a couple of years ago.

As for the Alan Arkin theory, it's an interesting Idea, but, well you lose the entire cast. No CJ, No Josh, no Toby, no Charlie. Combine that with the fact that the west wing is an extremely left wing show.

The actor who played Josh pretty much wrote a chapter in Al Franken's last book, and Richard Shifften could have been a democratic congressman

Trying to shift the program and its fan base into accepting a republican lead with a whole new cast, would kill it. It's Santos for president, kids.

Even if it does, I'm not sure it should. Santos is a good replacement for Barlett, but can you think of a show that has survived losing its creater (Sorkin) one of it's leads (John Spencer) and now another (Martin Sheen).

Look at ER, it's a shadow of itself with just a handful of original characters left. I'd hate to see the west wing go that way.

EDIT. The girlfriend just first scooped up season one and two on DVD for me. I'd forgotten how Naive and idealistic season one was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Trying to shift the program and its fan base into accepting a republican lead with a whole new cast, would kill it. It's Santos for president, kids.

Yup, the concept of the hollywood set putting out some idealistic political drama based on a Republican presidency is just not going to happen. The closest theyve come to it is that new show about the Republican president dying, and the Vice President inheriting the job - Shes nominally Republican, but its quite clear who shes really batting for - The Ex Prez only took her on to appeal to soccer moms, the Republican head honcho is a sexist racist slimeball, so on and so forth. I read some Naomi Campbell piece where she practically slavered over the show, so despite not seeing it myself, Im not expecting anything other than West Wing 2.

Speaking of which, I dont see the attraction of the show. Its worse than ST: Voyager with its "whole world turned upside down, and fixed again inside the hour", all without violating any of Captain Janeways prime directives. Political escapism, though given the incompetence of the Democratic party I can understand the flight to comfort blankets.

Sand wrote:
    Yup, the concept of the hollywood set putting out some idealistic political drama based on a Republican presidency is just not going to happen.

Because putting the words "Idealism" and "Republicism" together creates an oxymoron? Right wing policy is generally based on pandering to our worst instincts.
    The closest theyve come to it is that new show about the Republican president dying, and the Vice President inheriting the job - Shes nominally Republican, but its quite clear who shes really batting for - The Ex Prez only took her on to appeal to soccer moms, the Republican head honcho is a sexist racist slimeball, so on and so forth.

I get the impression that "commander in chief" is painted with fairly broad strokes. Its the west wing without a clue.
    I read some Naomi Campbell piece where she practically slavered over the show, so despite not seeing it myself, Im not expecting anything other than West Wing 2.

Yeah I read that piece, she thought the scene were president mommy has her top ruined by her daughters grape juice moments before the big congressional address was the high of wit.
    Speaking of which, I dont see the attraction of the show. Its worse than ST: Voyager with its "whole world turned upside down, and fixed again inside the hour", all without violating any of Captain Janeways prime directives. Political escapism, though given the incompetence of the Democratic party I can understand the flight to comfort blankets.

Thats hardly fair, (to announce my bias, I think voyager was one of the worst things ever broadcast, running a close second to that other Gene Roddenbury Androm whatsit) the series did have excellent continuity, there has been several long complex and well presented plots, the President's MS, exploring his suberfuge, his admitance to his staff, the investigation of his staff, the accelaration of his illness, and the strain it placed on his people, was excellent. The assasination of a Buthan defence minister, and the cover up and ramifications. Finally whether you hate it or not you have to admire the quality of the writing, switiching from socratic debate, to wry asides within a beat or two, it's certainly superior to Katherin bloody Janeway and her bloody "reversing the polarity of the warp field" shíte.
    BARTLET
    ...restoring abundance amid an economic shortfall, securing peace in a time of global conflict, sustaining hope in this winter of anxiety and fear. More than any time in recent history, America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arive. 44 people were killed a couple of hours ago at Kennison State University. Three swimmers from the men's team were killed and two others are in critical condition. When, after having heard the explosion from their practice facility, they ran into the fire to help get people out. Ran into the fire. The streets of heaven are too crowded with angels tonight. They're our students and our teachers and our parents and our friends. The streets of heaven are too crowded with angels, but every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless. this is a time for American heroes. We will do what is hard We will achieve what is great. This is a time for American heroes and we reach for the stars. God bless their memory, God bless you and God bless the United State of America. Thank you.

The crowd stands up and applauds.

Sam and Bruno are standing up clapping.

BRUNO
    When did you write that last part?

SAM
    In the car.

BRUNO
    Freak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

koolkat wrote:

I got the box set season 1-6 last week, only time i stop watching it is to see season 7 on rte thursday night.

Advertisement