Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

AVI/Mpeg conversion/advice

• 05-01-2006 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

I have some film taken from a digital camera that is in avi format. I tried to load it into my video editor (Magic Movie Pro 10) and the file type was not accepted.

I then converted the avi to mpeg and I put it in the editor. The problem is that there was a huge loss in quality (probably as expected), but it also removed the bottom third or so of the video.

I tried using multiple converters downloaded from the web. Does anybody know of a particular good one or shoud I try convert the AVI to something else.

Is it normal that a movie editor does not support avi ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Are you a windows user?

I only know about macs. If you can get the use of a mac all you have to do is drag that avi file into iDVD to make a DVD of it, cant edit though.

I think I managed to import ai into iMovie once, with a lot of trouble, think that was succesful, cant really remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

delanest wrote:
    I have some film taken from a digital camera that is in avi format. I tried to load it into my video editor (Magic Movie Pro 10) and the file type was not accepted.

I then converted the avi to mpeg and I put it in the editor. The problem is that there was a huge loss in quality (probably as expected), but it also removed the bottom third or so of the video.

I tried using multiple converters downloaded from the web. Does anybody know of a particular good one or shoud I try convert the AVI to something else.

Is it normal that a movie editor does not support avi ?

i would hazzard a guess that it is due to the codec used to compress the avi in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea, avi is just a general term. It depends what codec was used to compress it.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

try Quenc
    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/quenc.htm
    its a safe bet that if you can playback the orignal avi file than the codec is instaled on your pc

Advertisement