Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

File Sharing Problem w/ 98 + XP

• 05-01-2006 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

I have a Windows 98 machine that has a shared folder (Full rights). I have a XP machine that connects to this machine, I have it as a mapped drive. I can browse, read but only write sometimes. The Xp machine reports the following error:
    The folder Z:\Folder\somefile.ext isn't accessible. The folder may be located on an unavailable volume or protected with a password.

Here an example
    From the XP machine I go to the shared folder and create a new folder F. I create a document D and save it in F (If it lets me). I create some other documents and then try to open them, they open ok but I then have problems saving any changes and get the above error. Sometimes I can save fine! The behaviour is intermittent.

The machines are on a wireless network. The link is not dropping, I introduced another machine (98) and it suffers none of the problems the XP machine is experiencing.

The machines have a static IP's and I am mapping the drive using its IP and not its hostname.

Any ideas?

Advertisement