Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in the sticks

Options
  • 05-01-2006 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I live about 5 miles from Dublin West in Co. Meath. House is perfectly positioned so as to be remote enough and far enough from the local exchanges so that fixed line broadband is probably a pipe dream. I've heard bad things about satellite broadband (cloud cover can affect it??) and I imagine that most non Eircom providers require Eircom's infrastructure be available. Is satellite broadband the only option? Is it worth the money?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 SHAKESPEARE_SIS

I've also heard bad things about Satellite BB - from a (former) satellite broadband supplier !! It also appears to be very expensive. Rural Wicklow is well covered by wireless bb. not sure of availability in Meath!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

had satillite broadband,never had probs with clouds or the likes,was fast ,faster than wireless and cable bb,BUT was very expensive,so got rid of it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Satellite is also rubbish for things like online games, remote terminals etc because of the massive latency in it. One way satellite also requires a dialup for the upstream connection, so you'd have to factor that into the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 chuckleberryfin

Know it sounds strange but I actually read about the cloud cover problemo on some lads blog when I was looking into it. The hideous ping times make sense, I'm not a video game playing person but I do need access to remote terminals. Hmm...this isn't gonna to be simple. SHAKESPEARE_SIS you're proving to be quite the helpful mammal. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 joetighe

I live about 5 miles from Dublin West in Co. Meath. House is perfectly positioned so as to be remote enough and far enough from the local exchanges so that fixed line broadband is probably a pipe dream. I've heard bad things about satellite broadband (cloud cover can affect it??) and I imagine that most non Eircom providers require Eircom's infrastructure be available. Is satellite broadband the only option? Is it worth the money?

Thanks.

www.icecomms.net is your best bet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

Rural Wicklow is well covered by wireless bb.

Not where I am it aint! - unless you can advise me any different?

My only option would be satellite afaik, but cost of installation + subscription + dialup subscription does not make it very viable.

Advertisement