Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is there a plan to...

Options
  • 05-01-2006 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Is there a plan to bring in credit card type of driving license?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

wtf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

blah blah , why the "wtf" ?? its a valid question

i dont know , but there should be as the current ones are made out of toilette paper

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

there was talk of a US type (credit card look/feel) licence about 2 years ago, aint heard anything since - strange that !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

ciarsd wrote:
    there was talk of a US type (credit card look/feel) licence about 2 years ago, aint heard anything since - strange that !

I vaguely remember that there were problems fitting all the information on it. It would have to be able to accomodate up to 16 categories of vehicles and then any restrictions relevant to each category and also any medical restrictions that the driver may have. The text would also have to be large enough to be legible at night using a flashlight by the Gardai.

I think this may be why it has been put on the long finger although they manage to do it in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It would need to be computer readable and thats why its been kicked into touch! :D

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I vaguely remember a plan to have a semi-standardised credit card licence across the EU. New UK and Northern Ireland licences take this form. I thought that we were going to get in line eventually. I think that all the necessary information could be represented on a credit card given some clever layout work. It would be great to comfortably and conveniently carry it with you rather than leaving it thrown in your car somewhere within reach of thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

i wonder if it could survive the washing machine better than the current one?

colm_mcm wrote:
    i wonder if it could survive the washing machine better than the current one?
    It'll certainly survive longer being dragged our around the pubs and clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yeah, it's just too big to fit in the wallet, mine does now,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

mike65 wrote:
    It would need to be computer readable and thats why its been kicked into touch! :D

Mike.

surely a barcode would do on a plastic one then??

IMO it's well overdue. Mine is getting renewed this year and I'd rather not have another 10 years of current flimsy format :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

zod wrote:
    surely a barcode would do on a plastic one then??
    The problem with a computer readable licence would be the cost of the computer and database systems required to store and provide the data, not the card itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

ah I'm sure its on the way, Bertie's just a slow coach :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 tigerbalm

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, I hope the Government get on the ball, and start issuing plastic licenses soon. My license is getting very tatty now from sitting in my wallet all folded up. Can't leave it in the car, as I drive 3 different vehicles at work and home!

Advertisement