Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Cache

• 05-01-2006 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi All.

First, Happy New Year to everybody :)

Second, does anybody know if NTL cache web pages and the like? I ask as I have been trying all day to upload my homepages, but they don't seem to change. I have tried to delete them completely on the FTP server, but I can still access them:confused:

I called NTL support (ha ha) and they didn't know whether the pages were cached or not. I really hope someone knows the answer to this, or I think I'm gonna lose me mind!!

Cheers in advance

Matt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Are you using an NTL proxy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭dillon_the_rabb

Hi Ciaran

Not as far as I know. There is nothing in the proxy server part of my router. I have even tried to delete the DNS server IP's, but that made no difference as they are dynamically assigned. Didn't realise that at the time.

Cheers

Matt

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, NTL use a transparent proxy cache.

You can find a lot of information about it here, including how to get around it:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

all the pages for detecting if i'm going through a transparent proxy have come up negative? never seen anything that'd make me think i'm going through one? is it limited to certain people/areas?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

all the pages for detecting if i'm going through a transparent proxy have come up negative? never seen anything that'd make me think i'm going through one? is it limited to certain people/areas?

You are right, I tried it myself last night and it doesn't look like it is using a cache and yes it does differ between areas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

It seems that I'm going through a cache, it's easier for me to choke my 3meg NTL by opening loads of web pages at the same time than it was to choke my 2meg BT. Just start getting timeouts if I open loads, I reckon it must be their proxy's fault.

A proxy checker site I used showed me as being behind one.

Advertisement