Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Providers Poll

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I have BT and am NOT happy
    Hmm, could have sworn I'd voted on this poll already. {o_O}

Anyway, happy enough with EsatBT, dl-speeds/pings are fine and consistant, uptime has been exceptional (aside from some serious teething problems >1 year ago)... my only remaining bone of contention is that they're next to impossible to contact... even when you want to pay a missed bill over the phone by credit card you'd be left sitting there on hold for 20 mins... and God help you if you've got a support query or complaint.
    They're on thin ice with me still though, it'd only take another prolonged network b0rkage for me to cancel tbh... that reliability is about the only thing they've got going for them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I have Imagine and am happy
    i have eircom and am NOT happy

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭hawthorn

What about Lastmile? havent seen them mentioned at all. Im thinking of trying them as I cant get anything by phone line. They have a mast on a mountain near me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

I have another provider (please specify) and am NOT happy
    Currently a Last Mile subscriber. On a 512K connection for €40. If I was to get their 1Mb connection, I'd be looking at €120 per month, which is ridiculous!!!

So, as it stands, I am happy with their level of service, but unhappy with the fact that I can't terminate my 12 month contract with them, and go for a cheaper 1Mb+ onnection with Digiweb or Eircom.

Seanie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

hawthorn wrote:
    What about Lastmile? havent seen them mentioned at all. Im thinking of trying them as I cant get anything by phone line. They have a mast on a mountain near me!

Where are you based? When I was looking for BB where I am, the only provider was Last Mile Wireless. Now the exchange has been upgraded, and rather unexpectedly too, so I can now have an option of a higher BB rate that is also cheaper. But the 12 month contract makes me liable to pay for the remainding months should I terminte with Last Mile... :mad:

Seanie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭gogul

Anybody using this, or heard anything about it?

I'm applying for business broadband: 4Mb download, no cap. Any suggestions?

gogul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I have eircom and am NOT happy
    I have obviously been reading this poll wrong , I check it maybe once a week , just to see where the figures are at . I thought all along that I had seen a small number of people unhappy with NTL , but overall they seemed to have the highest number happy with them . Then I look today and they seem to have no one unhappy ............. did something go wrong with the poll , or did I mis-read it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Here's the trick as I see it: I've read little in the line of complaints about Eirocom that weren't centered around the Regulations/Monopoly end of things. Somebody show me a thread where Eircom is lambasted for providing a grossly [technically speaking] inferior service....

Now, apples and apples. Eircom charge €40 per month for their 2 GIG version of events, so to speak. BT charge €30 for the same thing- but Eircom throw in a free wireless [Netopia WiFi] modem and free connection [where you sign up online]

Thats a saving of €70-00, a considerable lump, if we assume that Eircoms service is as technically proficient as that of BT.

Now, Eircom want an extra tenner a month, and the contract is a 6 month minimum. So you still save a tenner and switch over to BT or whoever in 6 months if the mood takes ya. The sting in the tail of all this is that you're still 200 bob or so ahead [10 Euros = 200 Shillings...get with it lads] and you've avoided having to pay the €70 up front and in-lump as BT would like.

Like I said- argument rests on whether Eircom dick you around or don't on the quality of the service. A big if , says you.

My tuppence worth [.4 of a shilling, .02 of a punt, and .0158 of a Euro.]

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I have NTL and am NOT happy
    IT Loser wrote:
    Now, apples and apples. Eircom charge €40 per month for their 2 GIG version of events, so to speak. BT charge €30 for the same thing- but Eircom throw in a free wireless [Netopia WiFi] modem and free connection [where you sign up online]

Your comparison is wrong, it doesn't include line rental:

BT 2m + Line Rental = €40
    Eircom 2m + Line Rental = €64

Over a 6 months contract BT works out at €144 cheaper (you could buy three wireless routers for that difference). Over 12 months BT works out at €288 cheaper.

BT will give you a free connection if you supply your own modem. Which will pay for itself after just 3 months anyway.

Technically speaking, both services are excellent, with little or no problems other then the problems caused by the bad state of Eircoms network.

BT does have porblems with its billing department, but they are far cheaper then Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Ok then fair enough. The way BT are telling it to me now is that if I pay them €80 in cash they'll connect me and throw in a wireless Router [the two in one job] and then for €60 per month I'll get Talk Plus, 3Meg Down Broadband [something insane in terms of DL limits] and line rental. Neat.

..........20 minutes later

Just spoke to a BT representative who called me back and the deal we signed up to is:

3 Meg Download Speed Broadband 30 Gigs Per Month limit [Dowload Only]

Phone Line Rental

Talk Plus Option {free calls abound, so I've not factored in the odd international call}

All IN: €64.82 per month

My first bill is going to be: €129.60 + €40 once off connection + €40 [Wireless Router} = €210

Every other bill €130 every 2nd month.

In effect, my first 4 months of telephony and internet will set me back €340, the next 4 will be 260 and the next 4 260 again.

So for 1 year of goodies, a grand total of €860.

No complaints here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭ConUladh

I have IrishBroadBand (IBB) and am NOT happy
    IBB Ripwave and very happy, for me it does just what it says on the tin.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

I have a connection with WestNet and I must say it is an excellent service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I want broadband but can't get it because I fail the line test/exchange not enabled/out of range
    There does not appear to be anywhere to specify the provider in the Poll. I have wireless broadband from DigitalForge. It would seem DigitalForge supply the wireless network which connects to an unspecified ISP. The wireless part works fine but the service from the ISP is inconsistent particularly on the upload side, with long pauses which give rise to timeouts when connecting. This makes it impossible to consistently use my VOIP service which varies from being perfect one minute and ten minutes later being unable to connect or fine coming in and rubbish going out. Unfortunately the only alternative is dial up on a poor quality eircom line.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

bk wrote:
    Your comparison is wrong, it doesn't include line rental:

BT 2m + Line Rental = €40
    Eircom 2m + Line Rental = €64

Over a 6 months contract BT works out at €144 cheaper (you could buy three wireless routers for that difference). Over 12 months BT works out at €288 cheaper.

I've just been on the phone to the nice lady in Eircom, and in addtion to the outlined charges above, if you have Eircom Phonewatch - the alarm, then the technician is going to have to come out and tweak that for you, before they can set up the broadband. Free of charge? As me b**locks. €89. Aaargh!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭da4i's

I have another provider (please specify) and am happy
    I have UTV and am not happy because of the low caps and low speeds wer as u can pay the same as what i am paying, 30 euro, and get 2mbps off BT with a 20 gig cap... (am i correct??)

Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭homerzero

I have another provider (please specify) and am happy
    I have utv and i am now very happy , for 6 yoyos more the service is now uncapped , provided you dont horse it between 6pm and 11pm ( they throttle your speed if you do) you are free to download what you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭antifuse

I have Imagine and am happy
    Has anybody had Eircom enforce download limits on their accounts? I have heard that they don't bother, even though they say there is a limit of 8 gb (or whatever) on their broadband accounts.

Having said all this, I'm shocked at the prices of broadband here. Coming over from Toronto, where I was paying about 35 euro all-in for 5mbit, it's a bit of a shock being here and paying as much as we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭tonymahoney

I have eircom and am NOT happy
    How about this question in your poll?
    I have broadband but am thinkjing of switching provider!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Does anyone have Irish Broadband in Galway? If so, what is their service like? Am moving to Toreeny, Moycullen soon and afaik there the only one providing bb there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Shouldn't these percentages be reconfigured?
    For example BT: 79 for, 21 against. Should the percentage not reflect the proportion of happy and unhappy customers.. ie: 79% Happy - 21% unhappy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 audizerstoren

Nuttzy wrote:
    Im thinking of getting Net1 wireless as i live in the sticks and its my only option. Digiweb cant get me.
    Can you add Net1 to your list in case anyone wants to pick them and i can look at their results i nthe poll. Thanks.

I have been trying to get Net1 to confirm if they can provide broadband here for 3 months.Their dundalk number is never answered.

I have heard from a friend outside dundalk that he was trying to get them to call for about the same length of time ...they finally called last week and can provide BB but dont have the "cheaper "option available at this time.

There are also lots of Problems in South Monaghan with no answers to complaints or queries and damned all back up..

Having visited their so called "forum" ,which has now been closed due to negative feedback, i dont think i or anyone else around here will be taking them up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ukdavros

Hi
    I have also been trying to get an answer from Net1 as to whether they can supply me for several months now. But they dont seem to be bothered about replying to any of my emails. If they cant respond to a sales enquiry makes you think what their after sales would be like.

Mark

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I was on BT Business 1MB for about 18 months and was very happy with it....with the exception of their customer service dept their BB service was excellent..

Moved to NTL two months back and I'm pretty happy with it with the exception of the downtime compared to BT Business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Also changed my mind took me 16 months but now IBB are utterly useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm with Last mile bb and am not happy with the overpriced slow speeds they offer. Ping is serious. Wouldnt recommend them 2 any1. Shower of a$$holes. Unfortunately as I'm in the ar$e end of nowhere i cant get another provider & cant survive without bb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CaptainC

Just wondering if people can reccomend an ISP for the city center -I have a phone line and also the option of NTL broadband...If you could give details like bandwidth and download cap I would much appreciate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

I had an eircom line before, which was a 4mb down 256k up. The line dropped a lot of the time (minimum once a week) and in general the speed was dismal for anything other than browsing the web or downloading from fast, FTP type sites. then again thats what eircom claim their broadband does but for a 4mb line a 256k up is laughable. I would never deal with Eircom for any product or service again.

I am currently with Nova Networks, who are based in Cork city. I have a 3down 3 up line for €59 a month. The speeds are excellent. The line has dropped once, afaik, in over a year of use and that was because they had to disconnect us because a virus on our machine was affecting their cell :eek:

Nova are one of the best companies I have ever dealt with in terms of product reliability and customer service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭asmith

I have NTL and am NOT happy
    thought this might be useful. gives an overall view of the market share for each provider.
    Eircom                 105  19%
    BT                     100  18%
    NTL                     78  14%
    IrishBroadBand (IBB)    72  13%
    UTV                     36   7%
    Can't get broadband     35   6%
    Smart                   28   5%
    Digiweb (Other)         20   4%
    Digiweb Metro           19   4%
    Other                   17   3%
    ClearWire               12   2%
    Netsource                9   2%
    Magnet                   7   1%
    Imagine                  3   1%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

We built our own wireless network and I'm dead happy with it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Zebedee

Lucky you!

I ordered broadband from Smart three months ago and still haven't received it. In fact I don't even have a land line as they and the hamtouchers at Eircon have messed something up.

We need a landline and looks like the best offer but the service stinks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement