Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Potentially stupid questions

• 05-01-2006 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

I'm getting my new phone tomorrow (hopefully).

1)Do I need a new SIM for a 3G phone?
    2)If so, will they send me a new SIM.
    3)Will I be charged for getting a new SIM with my current number.
    4)Is it SIM or Sim or sim?:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

1) You shouldn't, unless you are changing network.
    2) You would most likely have to buy a phone with one, or buy one seperate. I highly doubt they will give you one free.
    3) From what I have experienced, if you buy a new card, they may transfer your details to it for free. However, this may vary from store to store.
    4) SIM - Subscriber Identity Module

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I'm getting my new phone tomorrow (hopefully).

4)Is it SIM or Sim or sim?:)

If you have an old sim (says Eircell on it), then you'll need a new one. This replacement sim is free. It's done in store if you need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Ah Jesus, an Eircell SIM??!!

Out of curiosity, would an Eircell SIM still work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yup, all Eircell SIMs automatically transferred to Vodafone Network. They still say Eircell though which is pretty retro.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Not necessarily..if you still have the phone that you had when eircell went to vodafone you may have accepted the option to have the phone reprogrammed so that the old eircel id was displayed as vodafone... so for example in the old days your old sim was eircell and this had the underlying id of irl-01 then the phones at that tme would translate it to "eircell" . After the sellout (for tuppence hapenny) you needed a download for your phone to translate irl-01 to vodafone. If I recall correctly there was a big brouhaha about this in the papers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pj_samba

It depends on the curent version of your SIM - Vodafone automatically will give you a new SIM with a 3G Handset - (the latest SIMS have additional capacity for contacts etc. and generally it is a good idea to upgrade when you go to 3G

Yes - for free. And most agenst will transfer existing contacts from your old SIM to a new one

No

4)Is it SIM or Sim or sim?

Who cares - everyone knows what you mean. SIM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

pj_samba wrote:
    4)Is it SIM or Sim or sim?

its SIM. it stand for subscriber identity module. aren't i a nerd :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

its SIM. it stand for subscriber identity module. aren't i a nerd :D
    that or you looked at the 2nd post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

1huge1 wrote: