Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off !! - PC World - Memory Card

Options
  • 05-01-2006 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

Just found out from a friend.

They bought an SecureDigital Memory card from PC World, Galway.
    Size 512MB - - - - €99

Is this, or this not a TOTAL Rip-Off ? :mad:

Just a look at the parent of one of the Hosted here on boards; Komplett.ie

A 512MB Card is - - - - €37 ;)

Same size + €62 cheaper (€52 cheaper if you consider P&P).

Saving 52% :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

For the love of God, Holy St Mary & Gonzo the clown.

How many times has it been posted here in how many forums by how many people?????

You can't compare online stores with retail stores.
    Even if you haven't read one of the 50 million, billion, trillion, gazillon posts comon sense will tell you that.

I feel much better after that little rant (and PC World still have your friends money!!!!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭bishopLEN

Maplin do a 512 MB card for €65.99 retail

Where is PC World getting its' €99 from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Are you making the same tired old mistake of comparing a more expensive brand in PC World with a cheaper brand elsewhere? Because you can get 512MB SD cheaper than €99.99 in PC World too. I know there are ones for €79.99. Still more than your Maplin price, but again, it could be a cheaper brand that Maplin do.

If you want to compare prices, you must compare like with like. Get prices for the same brand in each shop. Otherwise, comparisons are pretty pointless as there will be differences in price between brands a lot of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Your comparisons are not valid. Have a look at this link!
    http://komplett.ie/k/kl.asp
    Then you add a tenner for postage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

gillo wrote:
    You can't compare online stores with retail stores.

And why not?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Freddie59 wrote:
    And why not?:confused:

Differing overheads...lower rents for warehouse as opposed to retail shop units, providing customer parking etc....more staff required in shop, public liability insurance, heat/energy costs...lots of reasons.

Back on topic...I happened into my local PC world day before christmas eve to pick up a wifi USB dongle...I'd already checked out ballpark prices online but needed the unit there and then. It was coming down to the netgear wg111 and the belkin model.
    Now respectively from Amazon, these cost £26.50 and £15 (€52 and €35 inc DEL)...so I figure they'll cost here, maybe €60 and €40. Armed with that knowledge I went in and took a look...for the Netgear unit, PC world wanted €99 and for the belkin €49 (out of stock).
    Now those prices are one hell of a set of mark ups and those are just the instances I noticed. I eventually got down to Newry the next day and picked up the belkin unit in argos for £20...Dixon's/Curry's in Newry wanted £29.99 for the same item.

Wertz wrote:
    Differing overheads...lower rents for warehouse as opposed to retail shop units, providing customer parking etc....more staff required in shop, public liability insurance, heat/energy costs...lots of reasons.

Back on topic...I happened into my local PC world day before christmas eve to pick up a wifi USB dongle...I'd already checked out ballpark prices online but needed the unit there and then. It was coming down to the netgear wg111 and the belkin model.
    Now respectively from Amazon, these cost £26.50 and £15 (€52 and €35 inc DEL)...so I figure they'll cost here, maybe €60 and €40. Armed with that knowledge I went in and took a look...for the Netgear unit, PC world wanted €99 and for the belkin €49 (out of stock).
    Now those prices are one hell of a set of mark ups and those are just the instances I noticed. I eventually got down to Newry the next day and picked up the belkin unit in argos for £20...Dixon's/Curry's in Newry wanted £29.99 for the same item.

Well well.....no different than going on the Internet then.;) Just a different location.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Kahless wrote:
    Are you making the same tired old mistake of comparing a more expensive brand in PC World with a cheaper brand elsewhere?
    Doesn't matter. That price would be expensive for any 1Gb never mind a 512!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Wertz wrote:

€35-€40 for belkin ones. I put 35-40 cos it depends on pcimcia, usb or pci.

Lexar 512MB SD cards are €59.99 in PC World. PNY would be the 'better brand' in there.

There are 1000's of products in there, and prices aren't lowered across range, instead individualy.

Heinrich wrote:
    Your comparisons are not valid. Have a look at this link!
    http://komplett.ie/k/kl.asp
    Then you add a tenner for postage.

Just a query. Is 512 Mb not 512 Mb?:confused: If you're a domestic user transferring, say, photos, than is there a difference? If not it's a huge price differential. After all you're just buying storage - akin to an electronic cardboard box.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Freddie59 wrote:
    Is 512 Mb not 512 Mb?
    No it's actually 512MB :)
    On topic though, of course online retailers have a good reason to be cheaper than brick & mortar ones, but I don't see why there should be a variation of more than 10-15%. Some shops just apply rediculous markups on some products.

No it's actually 512MB :)
    On topic though, of course online retailers have a good reason to be cheaper than brick & mortar ones, but I don't see why there should be a variation of more than 10-15%. Some shops just apply rediculous markups on some products.

ergo: RIP-OFF IRELAND!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

it all comes down to the fact that PC World caters for those who, to put it gently 'haven't a fcuking clue' about computers. Not everyone is as PC literate as the people you will find in here. That fact alone means that the likes of PC World and the late Compustore got away (although Compustore didn't get away with it :)) with charging excessive prices for goods. Same goes for their cables. I've seen 2 Meter USB cables in PC World for €15 when you can get them for €2 online.

LFCFan wrote:
    it all comes down to the fact that PC World caters for those who, to put it gently 'haven't a fcuking clue' about computers. Not everyone is as PC literate as the people you will find in here. That fact alone means that the likes of PC World and the late Compustore got away (although Compustore didn't get away with it :)) with charging excessive prices for goods. Same goes for their cables. I've seen 2 Meter USB cables in PC World for €15 when you can get them for €2 online.

Yeah you're right. I suppose it's also the 'want it now' situation where you're not prepared to/cannot afford to wait. Online retailers like www.7dayshop.com can take up to 10 days.....but they're worth the wait!:D

Advertisement