Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'Supercar' design...is it just me???

Options
  • 05-01-2006 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭

Have they gotten just a little, well, boring? You can take something like the new Civic (I don't like it but it's a bold design) which is actually going somewhere, compared against the (I think) formulaic a Gallardo or F430.

They are beautiful cars but I wouldn't buy one - I had a fantasy shopping trip for 30 minutes on the web and found myself inexplicably drawn to the attached, a bargain at £34k, despite the fact it's a cambiocorsa 'box.

Or have I lost it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

I would tend to agree. I find the F430 completely anonymous. The Veyron actively ugly. Aston Martins way too samey.

But I disagree about the Gallardo. This is a bold, well-thought-out design that knows it's place in the world - a little spark in the shadow of the Murcielago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Definitely a valid point. I was dissapointed with the F430. It's just a release to technically keep ahead of the opposition. And I'm sure it does so fantastically. Would love one in silver...

This months top gear previews the next Ferrari, GG50. It's based on the Scaglietti. Based on... So not 100% new. (some good concept drawings on opposite page of article)

The Superamerica... Superchestwig more like it. I'd sell it if I won one.

The possible new Volvo on the front of times motor section this week looked like an Audi..

Maybach... yawn! Although the Excelero was very daring, and a touch ugly. One for the caped crusaders only!

Yes there's not much bedroom poster worthy metal out there at the moment.
    Everyone is hanging on to their designs and just reinventing them. The Gallardo and it's variations will be around for a long time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yeah, but they make supercars to make money and to secure their future heritage. bold mad designs (like rovers insale Punto headlight-ed monster) date very quickly. that said, i flick past supercar reviews showing the new fab Aston Martin, as i feel i've read about it 200 times over the past 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Most modern supercars leave me cold for some reason. Maybe it's just that I'm getting old and sensible.

However I'd love a nineties Jaguar XJ220. Massive, beautiful, flawed, controversial, no driver aids, a hairdryer of an engine yet 0-60 in <4 seconds, top speed 215+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I rather the old Vantage over the newer models myself.

Veryon I adore! I'm just drawn towards it, same as the Zonda. Just me.

A case of designers becoming more 'safe' in there ideas? *shrug* dunno

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I think if you drove one, you'd change your mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

[PHP]I think if you drove one, you'd change your mind...[/PHP]
    Probably, but that's the thing - If I drove one of these and then say a new 911 Turbo (now I love 911's, always have always will) I think I would go for the 911 and buy an EVO8 to do the shopping with the change.

I know it's not exactly a groundbreaking design but the 911 is genuinely iconic as a lump of metal. I love the Zonda, haven't made up my mind about the Veyron but appreciate the engineering effort they take to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Gatster wrote:
    You can take something like the new Civic (I don't like it but it's a bold design) which is actually going somewhere,

Am I the only one who thinks that the new civic
    287111.jpg
    is little more than a freshened up daewoo lacetti?
    car_portal_pic_13620.jpg
    I just don't get what all the fuss is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

alias no.9 wrote:
    Am I the only one who thinks that the new civic

is little more than a freshened up daewoo lacetti?

I just don't get what all the fuss is about.

Personally I think it [civic] is bloody awful. But, each to their own :D

Nobody has mentioned the Enzo yet, I don't think you can accuse Ferrari of being typical, or formulaic (sp) in their design.

Also, the Murcielago rocks, and I'll have nothing bad said about it.

Not quite supercar, but the impending AR Brera, now that is a beautiful car :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i would get a gallardo or f430 over any buggati etc. the lambo or ferrari look nice and normal unlike the ugly looking veryon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Personally I think the F430 is fabulous, didn't like the Veyron initially, but I think it works after seeing it on Top Gear, etc. I don't like the new civic, I think it's a basic enough concept with some futuristc tack added on in the name of progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

i'd find it hard to choose the Veyron. It was tooo long in production. There's bound to be faults. I like the 911 / Evo 8 idea above. The Zonda engine sounds great (from what I've heard on tv). Oh to be Jeremy Clarkson.. fat, balding and wallowing in exotic cars all day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Gatster wrote:
    I love the Zonda, haven't made up my mind about the Veyron but appreciate the engineering effort they take to exist.
    Hmm. You mean the marketing effort? I'm of the opinion that the Veyron is one of the most crudely engineered cars made today.

"Hans - how do we make it go faster?"
    "Just stick 4 turbochagers on it"
    "But now it runs too hot"
    "Well throw in another couple of rads - 11 should do."
    "But now it weighs too much"
    "well put some nice leather and suede in and we'll call it a GT."
    "What is someone sues us?"
    "Put an idiot key in that exempts us from people's stupidity"

and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I really love the design of the Carrera GT, it's just what a supercar should look like to me. Sleek, low, aerodynamically profiled and futuristic.
    Also like the Gallardo a lot and the V8 Vantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the only thing close to a supercar ive driven is a Lexus SC430 and that was nothing to write home about

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

If you want to see most of these cars in the flesh go to Goodwood Festival of Speed. I was there during the summer and nearly all these cars where there, most of them taking a spin up the hill.

I've driven a few old porsches, and they felt very different to any modern car I've driven. Much more raw and direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

colm_mcm wrote:
    the only thing close to a supercar ive driven is a Lexus SC430 and that was nothing to write home about

That ain't no supercar, it's a wobbly convertible aimed at lard-ass Americans driving in a straight line only ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

unkel wrote:
    That ain't no supercar, it's a wobbly convertible aimed at lard-ass Americans driving in a straight line only ;)

It looks well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Must agree that the Carrera GT is magnificent, one of the shock events of my late summer 2005 was seeing Nick Mason pootling through Windsor in his on a stunning evening, then being stopped by the lights before taking a left and roaring off down the road. The hairs on my neck are still standing...

Advertisement