Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

critters

Options
  • 05-01-2006 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭

Im moving out of the ancestral pile again and intend renting but this time i want to bring a few buddies if possible; namely, my two scorpions. Also while the family hound is staying at home, he'll probably visit any new residency regularly as i intend staying in the locality.

Now should i:
    a) Say nothing, check the lease and if it doesnt mention pets one way or t'other then move my meagre menagerie in. If it prohibits them i might'nt take the place or just shrug and leave the scorpions at home

b) ask the landlord what the story is with regards to em, and see what happens.

Im not too worried about the scorps, though id like to have em around but the dog will be a regular visitor and if i mention that s/he might think im trying to sneak the wee fella in on the sly :confused:

:v: < that, and no-one will rent to freaks that keep scorpions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Ask the landlord it is his property.

I am a dog lover and allowed people in with their dog. They let their dog destroy the property (chewing, letting it in and out without cleaning it's paws etc..) Now I don't allow dogs but allow cats. If your land lord fears your pets they have the right to enter their property and not be affraid. Somebody in fear can do strange things.
    Even if pets are not excluded the assumption by law would be no and a dangerous pet (maybe they aren't but perception is important) certainly is a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

i thought landlords werent allowed enter properties without the occupants prior consent except in emergencies so fear of entering wouldnt really be an issue. These scorps are pretty harmless but it's reasonable to expect people to be afraid of them

Not sure on the assumption in law thingey tho, What be you basing that on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

i thought landlords werent allowed enter properties without the occupants prior consent except in emergencies so fear of entering wouldnt really be an issue.

Correct. But some landlords forget this.

I don't think there's any "assumptions in law" for keeping scorpions. I wouldn't be personally a fan of keeping scorpions but if one of my tenants kept some I wouldn't be bothered. In fact one of them had a terrantula (sp?) and showed her to me (incredible things but I wouldn't sleep in the same room as one). On the practical side such creatures are very clean and are not going to trash the house.

Not the same with the dog. Now I love dogs, but they can be simply messy (shed hair, smell, etc), if this was to affect the property then I wouldn't be happy. However if he was to stay in the yard, garden, etc then this would be fine with me.

As for telling your Landlord, if he/she find out and is not happy you could be kicked out without your deposit as you may have breached the "house rules". Don't

It really comes down to practically and the scorpions are the best here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Bambi wrote:
    i thought landlords werent allowed enter properties without the occupants prior consent except in emergencies so fear of entering wouldnt really be an issue. These scorps are pretty harmless but it's reasonable to expect people to be afraid of them

Not sure on the assumption in law thingey tho, What be you basing that on?

Whether they enter the property with or without permission is not the point. The landlord will be on the property at some points legitimately and if they fear the creatures that is enough.
    Ask the landlord it is his property his decission.

Advertisement