Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Tax Relief at Source

Options
  • 05-01-2006 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

I know there's already a Mortgage TRS thread active but I didn't want to hi-jack hawker's thread with a different query.

Anyway, has the TRS gone down for 2006? Basically my mortgage is gone up €36 per month as a result of the 0.25% increase but now I'm paying €70 extra, not €36. I know I was getting €100 off my monthly payments, but the last payment there at the start of January I only got €65 off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Perhaps less of your repayment this year is going against the interest and more against the capital. I think that the ratio of interest:capital is continuously decreasing over the lifetime of your mortgage.
    If this is the case then maybe you're paying less interest & so getting less relief?
    Only a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

How long have you had your mortage for?

In 2004 I was getting 160/month relief but that was because I only bought my gaffe after June and the relief for 2004 was split over 5/6 months rather than 12. Over 12 months, 65/month sounds right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Hi buttermilk,

If you're paying interest and capital, then the amount of interest you're paying is always decreasing, so your interest relief will follow suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Ah, I see, that makes sense. Thanks for all the above!

I have my mortgage since March '05 so would that mean my relief is split over 9/10 months rather than the full year, and that's why it was higher? And now, in 2006, it's the full 12 months, therefore lower?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

That'd be it. The capital / interest thing wouldnt have such a dramatic impact

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

That's it. At least that's what the Revenue told me when I rang them up in a panic over my decreased relief. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

Ha Ha :D Ye I was beginning to panic myself. After the interest rise I just said "A well, at least I have €100 off..." and then, what, wait a minute, what's goin' on here, excuse me... :)

Advertisement