Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

age difference

• 05-01-2006 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hey!
    This about my friend not me but im worried about her! First of all she is one of the most sensible people I know. Definitely has the most cop-on out of all my friends and me! but shes started to go out with a guy 6 years older than her! Im not going to give the exact ages but shes in her teens and hes in his 20s.Now I don’t know the guy personally and I don’t want to be unsupportive but that cant work out can it???
    What sort of a guy would want to go out with someone 6 years younger than her?!maybe im over reacting but I don’t think so.what do people especially guys think?
    Also what on earth has gotten into her surely she knows he only wants, or just expects, one thing???and she is not the type to give it to him……..
    I don’t understand the situation and maybe im being interfering but I don’t want her to get hurt or worse but please just say if you think im making a mountain out of a molehill!
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Also what on earth has gotten into her surely she knows he only wants, or just expects, one thing???
    Possibly. How good is she with cooking and cleaning? :(
    and she is not the type to give it to him……..
    Then maybe she won't.

Assumming you friend is at or about 15, 6 years probably is a bit much of a difference. Talk to her about it. Perhaps a matter of fact statement of "isn't he a bit old" is too strong, but use your own thoughts and words. This is possibly better delivered to her alone, not in company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

without actualy giving ages it's hard to say, if she's 18/19, then while I couldn't see myself dating someone that age, for some people it's perfectly fine, and that kind of age gap isn't an issue. usually because the older party is a little immature

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

6 years??? Why thats........normal enough frankly. Given the way men are still boys in thier teens (and beyond!) she may have some good sense as AngryBadger suggests.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

mike65 wrote:
    6 years??? Why thats........normal enough frankly. Given the way men are still boys in thier teens (and beyond!) she may have some good sense as AngryBadger suggests.

ummmm.....normaly I lvoe it when people agree with me, but i have to point out that I meant he's probably not quite "there" yet, and so finds it easier to date someone 6 years younger than him. In all likelihood, even if she is "legal", she's enamoured with his age, and how cool it is for her.

Frankly if I had a daughter in this age bracket, and some guy 6 years her senior was dating her, I'd kneecap him. But then I'm the protective kind :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It all depends on how old your friend is. A 15 year old girl and a 21 year old guy... yark. But the older she is, the more acceptable it is to have an age gap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well my comments may be abit off if it turns out she's 15 of course....

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

why do u not want to tell us how old she is???
    its not like we can hunt her down and ridicule her because we know her age?!
    plus it would it a lot easier for people to give u advice and opinions without having to play the guessing game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I guess she hasn't read the replys yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭akw_old

Frankly if I had a daughter in this age bracket, and some guy 6 years her senior was dating her, I'd kneecap him. But then I'm the protective kind :o

have to agree. if she's under 16 and he's 22, then he'd be in trouble. however, if she is 18 and he is 24 i dont see the problem. the difference between an 18 yr old girl and a 16 yr old girl in terms of maturity is a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

akw wrote:
    have to agree. if she's under 16 and he's 22, then he'd be in trouble. however, if she is 18 and he is 24 i dont see the problem. the difference between an 18 yr old girl and a 16 yr old girl in terms of maturity is a lot.

Dead right. The OP should really state the age of the girl, otherwise it's a bit pointless commenting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

shes 17 and hes 23 i didnt really wanna giive all the details cuz i know shes a member of boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Then why not talk to her about it instead of posting a thread hoping she'll see it?

is she 18 soon. a friend of mine is 24 and the bf is 30. they've been going out 6 year so it started when she was 18. everyone thought he was just afer one thing too, but obviously not. so i wouldn't be too quick to judge just based on his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

Im am 6 years older than my girlfriend, so what?

Im am 6 years older than my girlfriend, so what?

dirty fecker. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭LUNA...

Where age is concerned I think alot depends on how muture or immuture both people are. Speaking from experiance, I was in a relationship with a 20yr old guy when I was 15. I was muture for my age and looking back on it now, he was probably quite immutre for his age. The relationship lasted 8 years, which goes to prove that age doesn't always matter. I think you need to trust that your friend knows what shes doing. Unlest this guy is known for going out with younger girls, you have to trust that he is with her because he likes her and not for what he can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

she's 17 he's 23?? move on nothing to see here!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Nuttzz wrote:
    she's 17 he's 23?? move on nothing to see here!!

Agreed, nothing wrong or strange with that.

My ex was 9 years older than me, I was 20 when we started dating, it lasted 5 years & age was never an issue. I was probably more mature than he was.

you said she's mature & has a lot of cop on, so I don't think you've anything to worry about.

Hey!
    This about my friend not me but im worried about her! First of all she is one of the most sensible people I know. Definitely has the most cop-on out of all my friends and me! but shes started to go out with a guy 6 years older than her! Im not going to give the exact ages but shes in her teens and hes in his 20s.Now I don’t know the guy personally and I don’t want to be unsupportive but that cant work out can it???
    What sort of a guy would want to go out with someone 6 years younger than her?!maybe im over reacting but I don’t think so.what do people especially guys think?
    Also what on earth has gotten into her surely she knows he only wants, or just expects, one thing???and she is not the type to give it to him……..
    I don’t understand the situation and maybe im being interfering but I don’t want her to get hurt or worse but please just say if you think im making a mountain out of a molehill!
    thanks!
    it is irrelevent about the age once its not too much of a lifestyle difference thats what matters some people are just matture/immature for their age
    this situation is very common

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

I'm six & a half years older than my g/f & it never is an issue for us, & never even comes up until someone else mentions it..... even then it doesn't bother us...

::: ven0mous :::

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭White Rabbit

:) Waves to his boards reading "special friend" :)

My girl is 6 years my junior and a teenager! [sticks tounge out] so I don't see the problem.

Frankly, sometimes I wonder which one of us is really the older...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It totally depends on the two people involved. I'm a 25 year old girl and my boyfriend is 17. It works for us cause we're both mature, open-minded people. All that really matters is that they are both happy. If it doesn't work out because of the age difference, then they will have both experienced and learned something, like anyone does from any relationship, whether there is an age difference or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Frankly any man immature enough at 23 to be interested in a 17 year old girl would worry me. There's a huge difference between the people we are at 17 and the people we are at 23 and however mature most teenage girls like to imagine themselves to be, the guy would have to be pretty immature (at best) to be interested...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Sleepy wrote:
    Frankly any man immature enough at 23 to be interested in a 17 year old girl would worry me.
    I probably should worry you then, or at least should have, as I was in that situation myself. In my own defence she was a fashion model.

To the OP, I wouldn't get worked up over it. He's probably no worse than a guy her own age and you get the most unlikely of couples working out every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I don't think you should be too worried about her friend. When I was 17 I wouldn't have looked twice at a bloke if he wasnt at least 21. Im 23 now and I would still be reluctant to date someone of my own age. But I have always prefered older men so maybe your friend is the same. Maybe 17 year old boys just don't do it for her.

I think I would worry more about him then her as he probably hasn't got the brains to deal with someone his own age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Wisdom, life experience, and maturity are not always age related.
    If she is happy in her relationship and they work as a couple then so be it.
    IF he is consideribly immature she then will grow out of him.
    She has chosen to be in that relationship with him and they will both learn a lot from it.

Advertisement