Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hifi buzzing on aux

• 05-01-2006 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

I have a Philips mini hifi here that hasn't been used in a couple of years, but was stored in a room temperature, dry and dark place. It works fine, except when you set it to aux input - it just makes buzzing noises no matter what device is connected, and even when nothing is connected to the aux input. You can hear the music or whatever from the connected device, but always with this ultra-irritating buzz noise. Anyone know what's causing this or how to stop it? Or is this thing just shagged?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

could be something to do with earthing.
    Do you have a AM/LM loop plugged into it?

Must say though ive never had this problem myself on any system ive had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea, I said that to him on MSN, either that or a mains hum. Turns out the **** Transformer with the Eircom Digital phone was causing the problem.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Could well be that a solder joint has come away too.

Come away from what?

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

As Lump said, it was the stupid poxy eircom cordless phone charger nearby - whenever it was plugged in, you got this loud buzzing. I just can't figure out why it was only affecting the aux. I'm going to have to do some farting about to plug the phone in elsewhere - as apparently where the hifi is is the only place in the house with both phone and power nearby.

• Advertisement

ah i see, atmospheric interference, you could try trying different charger with the same secondary plug that outputs the same dc voltage. (probably 9v)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Lump wrote:
    Come away from what?

John
    I had the problem with an old amplifier of mine - the solder joint on the RCA posts came loose (I think it's called a dry solder? My brains not working today).

Sparky-s wrote:
    ah i see, atmospheric interference, you could try trying different charger with the same secondary plug that outputs the same dc voltage. (probably 9v)

It's a gay voltage. 9.5 or 9.7 I think.

John

Lump wrote:
    It's a gay voltage. 9.5 or 9.7 I think.

John

Its true, 12v all the way :D

Advertisement