Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead pixels in new TV

Options
  • 06-01-2006 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I bought a new 17" widescreen LCD tv in Currys Limerick last weekend and after having a close look at it this evening I noticed 3 dead pixels when a black background is showing. From viewing distance you wouldn't notice them at all and I only noticed them upon looking realy close, should I take it back? Are more likely to go? What are my rights? I paid with credit card so should I contact them first or only if Currys refuse to exchange the TV?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭shayg1971

Unfortunately the answer is 'that depends'. Dead pixels on LCD panels are pretty common. When an LCD panel comes off the production line, it is tested and graded. So called "professional grade" (grade A) panels have close to 0 defects. So called grade B and C panels can have up to 8 dead pixels and still be considered within 'norms'. How 'annoying' the dead pixels are depend on where on the screen they are situated, and what they are 'stuck' on (black, or some colour).

Unfortunately when it comes to where A, B and C panels end up, the lower grade panels are much more likely to be sold to OEMs for the manufacture of TVs, designed to be viewed at greater distances than monitors. Professional grade large panels command a premium price and tend to end up inside hi-spec, high cost professional monitors.

Somewhere in your documentation (which you probably did not get to see until the box was opened) it will probably specify the panel grade and the dead pixel count considered within tolerence by the OEM. Chances are your three dead pixels do not constitute a fault by this definition.

But it the location is very annoying, and this can be demonstrated to the store, you have a chance that they will offer to replace it on the basis of customer care. See if you can audition your new panel before you leave the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I've been told that Apple Mac flatscreens won't be replaced unless they have over 5-7 dead pixels. That probably goes with what shay is saying for TVs.

I personally would be really upset if I had a dead pixel on a new piece of equipment. I've been told that if you pay with credit card you can cancel the credit card payment and get your money back or force them to give you a perfect product, but I've never done this so don't take it as gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

Gordon wrote:
    I've been told that Apple Mac flatscreens won't be replaced unless they have over 5-7 dead pixels. That probably goes with what shay is saying for TVs.

I personally would be really upset if I had a dead pixel on a new piece of equipment. I've been told that if you pay with credit card you can cancel the credit card payment and get your money back or force them to give you a perfect product, but I've never done this so don't take it as gospel.

that is a myth about the apple displays. it is taken on a case by case basis and the main criteria is the location of the dead pixels.

If the display is within the makers accepted limits you would be effectivly stealing if you charged back your credit card.

Best bet is to check the website to get the 'official' limits before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

As Whippet said, check the TV manufacturer's website to see what their dead pixel tolerance is.

Not that it really makes a difference, but are the 3 together? Are they near the centre or off in a corner? Have you asked Curry's if they'll replace it?

This forum has some useful threads on LCD TVs, you should get more info on acceptable levels of dead pixels there:
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 J.P

Hello i work for currys, I have seen and returned T.V's with only one dead pixel, it really depends also on where the Dead Pixel is and how many. If its in the Centre its more than likely it would be returned. Dead Pixels are becoming more and more common in LCD's we find, and currys are getting tougher about what they return, excpecially when Manufactors refuse to give stores credit over Dead Pixels, if it really bothers you defintly bring into the store and see what they can do, worst case scenario you've wasted a little bit of your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is there a way to kill pixels yourself? say the limit was 20 and you had 19 you could break 2 more and demand your money back. Is the pixel count just for new screens or the first year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 J.P

Nope have tried to cause dead pixels, doesn't work, the return is for the first year. if 19 pixels in a screen we're found it would be absolutly returned generally 2 or more. Or if one was dead in the centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

seen this somewhere
    to remove a stuck pixel(not dead) get a dry cloth and turn off the monitor press on the screen where the dead pixel/s are turn it on while still pressed down on screen this will also createdead ones if done in a healthy area of screenread it on a psp site they said i was a guide for tvs but they used on psp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

rubadub wrote:
    Is there a way to kill pixels yourself? say the limit was 20 and you had 19 you could break 2 more and demand your money back. Is the pixel count just for new screens or the first year?

a) No, generally not. Dead pixels are a manufacturing issue; they rarely happen after the fact.

b) Don't enquire about how to commit fraud on boards...

Advertisement