Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tartar on Teeth

• 06-01-2006 1:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭

Last couple of months tartar has built up on 2 or 3 of my lower bottom front teeth, not loads but a bit. One of these teeth is slightly pushed back and behind the others, making it hard to get a normal toothbrush to brush it effectively. Can you remove tartar manually without going to the dentist? like scraping it with one of those professional picks you get with a little mirror that you get at chemists ?

Also could anyone recommend a way of getting rid of gingivitis, gums on the bottom are quite red along the bottom of the teeth, obviously with proper brushing and all but is there a treatment that would help getting rid of gingivitis?

Finally could anyone recommend a decent toothbrush, electric ones i find are better but i have gingivitis on my gums and fairly sensitive gums, so anyone with a soft head that does the job painlessly and effectively?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭kegan5

isn't cordosil mouth wash used for gingivitis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You really should go to the dentist.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Gingivitis?? Is that gum disease or bad breath?? If its the gums theres stuff called Ginigel.. you can get it in liquid or a gel.. I used it once for a mouth ulcer, its generally for regenerating the gums for various reasons.. reseeding gums, post tooth extractions etc.. Worked well for me and its reasuringly expensive... bout €15 for a small bottle (I got it in Boots)

But yeah a trip to the dentist wouldnt go a miss either.. I think if your working you're covered for a checkup and general cleaning once a year if Im not mistaken.. even if you think your teeth are fine its still worth a visit now and again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

In terms of the Tartar I'd recommend the Pearl Drops Smokers Toothpaste. Works wonders. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

The best brush by far is the philips sonic care, i have used one myself for 2 years, and it is a fantastic and innovative product. u should have the tarter removed professionally, use the soniccare, and floss once a week assuming u havent got bone loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Arm & Hammer. Toothpaste for real men! ;):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭lomb

Sleepy wrote:
    In terms of the Tartar I'd recommend the Pearl Drops Smokers Toothpaste. Works wonders. :)
    Use that long term and ur teeth will wear down, fine for occasional use. wont do alot at the back of the lowers though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

use Acid or suck on a Calgon Tablet, or bleach, ...... err I mean go see a Dentist, don't take health advice from a public forum

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

these are your teeth, you will need them to the day you die,
    are you telling me you would take advice on this from strangers on the internet rather than spend a few bob on a professionl dentist? :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Gilgamesh wrote:
    use Acid or suck on a Calgon Tablet, or bleach, ...... err I mean go see a Dentist, don't take health advice from a public forum
    Cop on. Doing any of the above will erode your teeth and probably poison you.

The advice I have from my dentist is regular brushing and occassional mouth wash. And of course you free check-ups every few months if you pay PRSI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Tartar is when the soft plaque (million and millions of bacteria) calcify on you teeth due to the calcium and phosphorus ions in you salive. It happens most where saliva pools like the back of your lower front teeth and your top first molar teeth. Really there is no way to remove it yourself because it sticks so strongly to you teeth. While it is harmless itself however it acts as a place that bacteria can hide and cause gum inflamation or gingivitis. The only way to sort out the problem is to go to a dentist of hygieneist for a scale and polish. If you keep the teeth clean after that (dont let the plaque build-up in the first place) then the inflamation will resolve in a couple of weeks.

Corsydol is a good mouthwash but prolonged use will stain you teeth badly (a dentist can polish this off)

Abrasive toothpastes like pearl drops and smokers toothpastes are OK for occasional use, but can be abrasive around the gum area so I generally dont reccomend them.

Any good soft toothbrush is fine. Dont get a very hard one as it too can cause abrasion of your teeth.

Electric brushes are great...the sonic care is excellent also however it's not the brush you use its how often and how properly you brush.

Leaving a load of tartar (or more properly called calculus) on your teeth can lead to periodontal disease in some people. This cause loss of the bone that hold your teeth in your head...so brush twice a day.

No brush will celan in between your teeth so floss also, If you dont floss your only half cleaning your teeth. You can buy machine that squirt water and air in between your teeth instead of flossing...these are good but very expensive.

Everyone should get a scale and polish once a year....If you have lots of decay or tartar go to the dentist twice a year or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Thanks fitzgeme, certainly know your stuff. Cheers everyone else as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Tartar is when the soft plaque (million and millions of bacteria) calcify on you teeth due to the calcium and phosphorus ions in you salive. It happens most where saliva pools like the back of your lower front teeth and your top first molar teeth. Really there is no way to remove it yourself because it sticks so strongly to you teeth. While it is harmless itself however it acts as a place that bacteria can hide and cause gum inflamation or gingivitis. The only way to sort out the problem is to go to a dentist of hygieneist for a scale and polish. If you keep the teeth clean after that (dont let the plaque build-up in the first place) then the inflamation will resolve in a couple of weeks.

Corsydol is a good mouthwash but prolonged use will stain you teeth badly (a dentist can polish this off)

Abrasive toothpastes like pearl drops and smokers toothpastes are OK for occasional use, but can be abrasive around the gum area so I generally dont reccomend them.

Any good soft toothbrush is fine. Dont get a very hard one as it too can cause abrasion of your teeth.

Electric brushes are great...the sonic care is excellent also however it's not the brush you use its how often and how properly you brush.

Leaving a load of tartar (or more properly called calculus) on your teeth can lead to periodontal disease in some people. This cause loss of the bone that hold your teeth in your head...so brush twice a day.

No brush will celan in between your teeth so floss also, If you dont floss your only half cleaning your teeth. You can buy machine that squirt water and air in between your teeth instead of flossing...these are good but very expensive.

Everyone should get a scale and polish once a year....If you have lots of decay or tartar go to the dentist twice a year or more.

very good advice fitz

Advertisement