Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin Not emptied - entitled to a refund?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Would you prefer, then, that the bin charge go up to accommodate people who over-fill their bins? Because inevitably, such accommodation would require more time taken per bin, therefore more employees and more lorries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Why do you keep up the "overfill" mantra?
    If the lid is closed properly then the bin is not overfilled. End of story.

You are only deluding yourself if you think putting up the bin charges will improve the service, it won't, because the same guys with the same attitude will still appear and give the same shi1tty service they are giving now.

If you are just looking for someone to wind up you are wasting your time on me. I don't really give a flying fukk. I live in a country where the bins are fully emptied every night and then disinfected.

I pay for a service and I get it. You pay for a service and you don't get it. So pay more is your solution...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Hagar wrote:
    You are only deluding yourself if you think putting up the bin charges will improve the service, it won't, because the same guys with the same attitude will still appear and give the same shi1tty service they are giving now.

No, I'm saying the opposite. If you want to improve the service (to empty bins which gravity will not empty) you'll have to pay more.

Before you start handing out more money remember what the service was like before the charges were levied and try to quantify the improvement in service since then. I think you'll find no change. They still just take away your waste. Or at least should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hagar, I understand how you feel, once I was disposing of some unused concrete and not only did the not empty the bin, but they broke the bin aswell. I don't care if it weight 500kg, they should have emptied it.

• Advertisement

That's hardly normal domestic waste, is it?

I'm going to look for a nice soft wall to bang my head against. I'll leave you to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Victor wrote:
    Hagar, I understand how you feel, once I was disposing of some unused concrete and not only did the not empty the bin, but they broke the bin aswell. I don't care if it weight 500kg, they should have emptied it.

Victor, the last thing the local authority wants are injury claims from it's binmen caused by trying to pull down excessively heavy bins. They would not therefore be permitted by the council to do it. They are under no obligation to take building waste anyway. The bin belongs to the council - if they break it they will replace it if requested.

Provided my bin was not stuffed to the extent that it wouldn't budge, and it wasn't emptied properly, I would make a polite call to the local depot and explain the situation. It could have been a misunderstanding etc. I've no doubt that they would send a complimentary bin tag in the post. It's all about having the right approach.

:v: :v: :v: :v: :v: :v: :v: :v: :v: :v: :v: :v: :v: :v: :v:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Hagar wrote:
    That's hardly normal domestic waste, is it?

I'm going to look for a nice soft wall to bang my head against. I'll leave you to it.

Is that the sound of something going straight over your head ? ;-)

Is disinfection of bins common in France ? We usually holiday in Brittany and I have to admit that whilst I have seen regular binlifts in some locations I've never seen (or smelt) disinfected bins...

parsi wrote:
    Is that the sound of something going straight over your head ? ;-)

Is disinfection of bins common in France ? We usually holiday in Brittany and I have to admit that whilst I have seen regular binlifts in some locations I've never seen (or smelt) disinfected bins...

No nothing went over my head, I just wasn't expecting Victor to come in with his big spoon and start stirring it just when I thought I was starting to get my point across against immeasurable odds. :D

The bins are definitely disinfected every day. It's a must in summer with the heat and flies etc. The binman doesn't do this himself, the guardian does it, but like I said it's included in my local charges. In the village nearby the bins are rinsed out but not disinfected but I don't know what their charges cover. It can vary from area to area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Hagar wrote:
    Why do you keep up the "overfill" mantra?
    If the lid is closed properly then the bin is not overfilled. End of story.
    If the bin didn't empty it must have been over filled.

You may think if the lid closes that is enough but you don't make the rules. It doesn't really matter how you feel. The terms are stated and your simple reading of what the service is doesn't make much difference.

The liabilty and dangers of waste can not be understated so the employee rights are more imporatant than somebody saving money on waste.

Congratulations Morningstar, after encountering you on various threads and reading your antagonistic views on others I'm granting you the honour of being the one and only person to make my ignore list. Please feel free to reciprocate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 betterthanyou

daymobrew wrote:
    I had the opposite experience with Fingal County Council - they said to put it out again with a note that it hadn't been completely emptied. Next time it was all taken.
    same thing happened to me and they said they would put a note on my account as i pay buy the year and it would be deduced off the next bill

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Hagar wrote:

The bins are definitely disinfected every day. It's a must in summer with the heat and flies etc. The binman doesn't do this himself, the guardian does it, but like I said it's included in my local charges. In the village nearby the bins are rinsed out but not disinfected but I don't know what their charges cover. It can vary from area to area.

Well they certainly don't do it in St Briac - maybe I should act like a foreigner and tell them what to do ;-)

It's an excellent idea though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Yes that's what I would have thought. If they tip it over the edge on the truck then they cant control how much comes out (ie: they cant decide to only let quarter come out). As seamus said, it either got stuck, or...

...and here's my imagination kicking in...

...the top blew open overnight and the top quarter blew onto the street. The bin tag also blew off, so when they arrived, they saw rubbish on the street (which the cleaned up) and a bin with no tag (which the didn't empty) :)

How do I have this amount of free-time first thing in the morning :D:D
    dude, you really should get to know your hand better! give you something constructive to do!

You will be billed for the weight (NIL) and the collection attempt (whatever) so you are not being done over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Sorry for dredging the thread, but MorningStar's at it again in my own.

So, can I please ask the OP (or Victor) how/when/etc if you obtained the service and/or refund (or 'credit note' for the next collection), as I've just had the exact same problem (South Dublin Council area), and -the short version of it is- Environmental Services have sent me packing... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Sleipnir wrote:
    Just wondering what the story is if you put your bin out and it's only partially emptied (i.e. about a quarter of it)
    Can I claim that as it wasn't emptied, I shouldn't have to pay for it being emptied?
    Given that the emptying process is entirely automated and not subject to human intervention, I'd love to hear your opinion as to why it didn't empty? The binman just rolls the bin onto the hoist. The hoist lifts it up and lets it empty - so why did the emptying not work with your bin?

ambro25 wrote:
    So, can I please ask the OP (or Victor) how/when/etc if you obtained the service and/or refund (or 'credit note' for the next collection), as I've just had the exact same problem (South Dublin Council area), and -the short version of it is- Environmental Services have sent me packing... :(
    As I understand it you are billed under two headings - the collection service and the weight collected (start weight less finish weight). They provided the first part and aren't billing you for the second.

Advertisement