Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

regions off line ?

Options
  • 06-01-2006 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Interested in what the view out there is on options for regional connectivity.
    Is it still the same as 5 years ago, but with different telcos ?
    Are Eircom holding all the aces ?
    Is it still DSL or nothing if your outside Dublin ?
    What is availalable for a start up company with a requirement over 2Mbs in the regions ?
    From my investigations the options for secure 2Mb + connections are Eircom retail, Eircom wholesale, limited BT are there any others ?

Is it the same story for data centres & off site storgage ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

bish-bosh wrote:
    Interested in what the view out there is on options for regional connectivity.
    Is it still the same as 5 years ago, but with different telcos ?
    No. Its a helluva lot better since the ESB fibre kicked in.
    Are Eircom holding all the aces ?
    Not any more in the larger regional towns. as long as they are a 'spot' on the maps Here . The western digital corridor, owned and lit by BT Ireland has filled in a few gaps not on that map too along the N7 and N6. Both BT and ESB are DWDM fibres, you get between 100mbits and 2.5gbits off them for starters.
    Is it still DSL or nothing if your outside Dublin ?
    No. We also have a number of national and regional wireless operators of varying quality and metro ethernet in the larger towns like Cork and Galway . Cable is alaso starting to appear in larger towns on a reasonable scale in the past year or so . Galway/Cork/Waterford/Naas/Kilkenny and others so far , Galway and Waterford and Kilkenny and Longford and Dungarvan are very well covered .
    What is availalable for a start up company with a requirement over 2Mbs in the regions ?
    up to 2.5gbits, with caveats of course. You seem never to have heard of the MANs which provide last mile fibre from the ESB/BT to the premises .
    Is it the same story for data centres & off site storage ?
    data centres are power hogs, of equal importance therefore is a stable power grid where you would wish to site them. The southern half of the country has a better grid than the northern half . The trick there is to see where big pharma has gone :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 bish-bosh

Thanks for that Bob.
    My project would be aimed towards the smaller users, if your a big corporate you will have no problem paying mega bucks for data connections/disaster recovery/ business continuity and all the good stuff that goes with it. They will also want the state of the art hosting centres, but what about the small guys ?

What is available to the start up's in the way of regional data back up/ disaster recovery, where a €20K + connection back to Dublin data centres on top of your CoLo is not an option ?

I have heard of the MAN's and I think this is a positive step by the Government, but have the carriers accepted the new network and provided new products to suit the regional users ?
    I suppose this will take time to develop.

Does anyone know which carriers are using the MAN's ?
    Anyone using the MAN's have an opinion, it must be better than the 2Mb copper scenario from Eircom !!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Cork, Galway, Limerick and Dundalk I think all have Digiweb Metro.

IBB run by Irish Troll Roadies are doing various wireless things in Limerick.

It is still cheaper to rent a server in USA with the Internet bandwidth you need than rent just the bandwidth in ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

bish-bosh wrote:
    What is available to the start up's in the way of regional data back up/ disaster recovery, where a €20K + connection back to Dublin data centres on top of your CoLo is not an option ?
    20k will get you 5 Mbits (even 10Mbits if you are lucky ) symmetrical from Galway to Dublin (I cannot speak for other MANS ) even 2 years ago you would have paid 10k for 1 mbit point to point ...eg Galway Dublin and more if you went above 2 Mbits. If you backhaul to a colo you cna pick up a cheap 1mbit internet port there as well and run that down your pipe along with the backups.
    I have heard of the MAN's and I think this is a positive step by the Government, but have the carriers accepted the new network and provided new products to suit the regional users ?
    Other than ESAT and the Mobile Cartel every other national operator would probably not be there but for the ESB and MAN combinations, accept is not a strong enogh word to describe it.
    Does anyone know which carriers are using the MAN's ?
    Everyone bar the mobile cartel (even Eircom I hear if you want over 2 mbits )
    The ESB map shows where the original 19 MANS are (its actually 20 because Kiltimagh is in Ballina :p. Other MANS are being tendered and built as we write......up to 40 are in the pipeline, chiefly in towns that are earmaked for Civil Service decentralisation and some others and some extensions to the ESB fibre are planned. Follow the Civil Service could be the maxim as you plan your scheme.

The etenders site is borked :D

Advertisement