Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New to Keyboards/Piano: Advice

• 06-01-2006 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Trying to get all active in the new year so im gonna start piano lessons but 1st of all need a keyboard.

Does anyone know if the Casio CTK800 is sufficient to start playing?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Yeah a good start, but is it keyboard or piano you plan on learnin?

slight difference between the 2. Good start to learning keyboard would be the "The Complete keyboard Player" books. Theres a piano version also. Try those before forking out on piano lessons...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭hallelujah

to be completely honest i didnt realise there was a difference between piano and keyboard, well not a huge difference. im planning to learn popular songs, not classical stuff if that helps...
    like radiohead, rem, etc...
    where could i get this book??

do you play any other instrument? can you read music? For Popular songs, Id suggest get with the basics first. Get that keyboard book, not sure if its still in print (try the net), but its a great stepping stone. You have to walk before you run ya know!

balls, i was hoping to start with bohemian rhapsody :p
    at present i cannot read music :(
    i play guitar which i taught myself and was hoping to use the same method to learn the keyboard. is this possible? i am willing to take lessons aswell but id like to know basics first

hallelujah wrote:
    balls, i was hoping to start with bohemian rhapsody :p
    at present i cannot read music :(
    i play guitar which i taught myself and was hoping to use the same method to learn the keyboard. is this possible? i am willing to take lessons aswell but id like to know basics first

yeah its a v good help. Most people start off learnin keyboard by playin "dead chords" with their left hand, and the melody of the song with their right.

dead chords, like guitar chords, are usually three notes played together to represent a chord. (i.e Chord A would be A+C#+E but we wont get into that!).

Try and get that book. if your stuck I can post it too ya, gatherin dust in my gaf!

• Advertisement

cheers man, v generous, had a wee look at waltons website, says its sells the book but its out of stock. u know any where in dublin that sells such books?

NO tbh, not a Dub. Think theres a place jusbefore O'Connell Bridge, but dunno how good it would be or if it sells such books. Can post if ya cant find them, but Id say ya could if ya shop around. You should pick it up handy enough if ya play guitar

• Registered Users Posts: 39 gillenk

there's a music shop on suffolk street called mccullogh piggotts where you'd pick up a good book to start learnin keyboard. those complete keyboard player books by kenneth baker are quite good. there's a good selection out there though for beginners. there's also a another music shop on georges stret opposite waltons think it's called opus one (although i'm not sure). you should be able to get somethin in one of those anyway.

Great books alrite, dont think they are in print anymore though. Theres a guitar version too but I dont think Baker wrote them.

Advertisement