Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing costs of bathroom

Options
  • 06-01-2006 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

Im getting my bathroom plumbed - its new and so the loo, sink and radiator have to be plumbed in. The bath was already done earlier in the build. Im a bit suss about my builders and his costs. Hes bringing in the plumber to get it done but at an extra cost as it wasnt included in the origional quote - which is grand.
    What Id appreciate some help with is how much - ballpark - I should be expecting to pay to get the lot plumber - bath included.
    Hes quoting in and around the €1000 and shortly up mark and that seems expensive to me......but Im no expert. Is this a good costing for a bog standard (haha! Sorry about the pun!) suite?
    Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Eve1

Is your sanitary ware included in this price? If not it sounds expensive for second fixing. We are paying €520 per day for three qualified plumbers to do our first fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Dellgirl wrote:
    Im getting my bathroom plumbed - its new and so the loo, sink and radiator have to be plumbed in. The bath was already done earlier in the build. Im a bit suss about my builders and his costs. Hes bringing in the plumber to get it done but at an extra cost as it wasnt included in the origional quote - which is grand.
    What Id appreciate some help with is how much - ballpark - I should be expecting to pay to get the lot plumber - bath included.
    Hes quoting in and around the €1000 and shortly up mark and that seems expensive to me......but Im no expert. Is this a good costing for a bog standard (haha! Sorry about the pun!) suite?
    Thanks for any help.

That's a bit of an outrageous price alright. What exactly are you getting for your money? Supply of Loo, Sink and Radiator? And then to fit them? Are all the pipes already first fixed, i.e. in laymans terms have the pipes already been run out to the the locations of the fixtures.

I actually work as an Estimator for a plumbing company (we don't do much domestic work though) so I could give you a good idea of what you should be paying for the work.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

Thanks guys...I really appreciate your help.
    The bathroom suite was bought seperately - typical 5ft6" bath and loo and 56cm (I think) sink - €400 odd in DAvies in Raheny trade counter.....the builder told us to go there for what we needed. Rad was bought in Homebase for €170 odd.
    The € is all for plumbing alone. The pipes were laid by the builder. He dug trenches outside and laid all the pipes and hooked them up to the walls ready to go on to the fixtures.
    I have asked him for an exact listing and costing of all extras so Ill be able to see exactly what Im paying all the money for.

So he's charging you close to 1000 just to connect a toilet, a rad and a sink? :eek:

He's trying to rip you off to be honest. The work shouldn't cost you anymore than 500 and even at that it's very expensive. It sounds like there's less than a days work involved and it's only labour so when you think of it like that 1000 is an extortionate price.

A similar thing happened to my friend recently when he was getting an extension built. There was some extra plastering work that needed to be done that wasn't included in the original quote and the builder was trying to charge my mate a ridiculous amount to do it. In the end my mate just went to the Yellow Pages and got a plasterer to do the work for a fraction of the cost.

If I was in your position I'd get another plumber to give you a quote for the work and whatever you do, DON'T pay the builder 1000 for the work!

B.

Thanks BaZmo*. We were thinking that it was a bit much just for a hook up. It is an extension that we have gotten built and the exact same thing happenned with the plastering - although to be fair it was the plasterer who gave a huge quote to do a small room as extra and not the builder.
    Im quite stressed about this now as Ive never had to confront someone on something i know nothing about. :eek:
    Again, thanks for your help. Im going to look up the yellow pages!

• Advertisement

No worries. And don't be worrying about confronting him about it, generally if it sounds like it's too much it more than likely is. At the end of the day it's your money and if you're paying for a service you're entitled to get value for money.
    But I know what you mean about being stressed about confronting him, my mate went through the exact same thing so I'm well used to hearing about it at this stage. ;)

The thing about the buiding trade is that alot of the money/profit is made from extras. It is also very dependent on the amount of work that the tradesman has on at the time.

Good look with it and let us know how you get on.

B.

Will do. Ill post tonight when he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

FU€KING RIPOFF MERCHANT. Its Pricks like him that have this country the way it is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Dellgirl wrote:
    Will do. Ill post tonight when he goes.

Well, what happened

Anyway, he came on Friday night as said. I rang him before he came and asked him to put in writing all the extras and exactly what price for what plumbing extras on top.
    I also rang a few plumbing firms and got ballpark quotes from them - even thought they were understandably reluctant to give them without seeing the work that needed to be done first. I explained my predicament to them and I have to say all - without exception - were incredibly helpful.
    When he came round, the price was for all the work done on the bathroom - the laying of pipes outside and moving of pipes inside and the fiiting of the fixtures. He gave me a complete breakdown of prices that he had gotten signed off at Davies - this worked out when I rang on Saturday morning- and to be very honest and fair, I dont think he was ripping me off in the end.
    I really appreciate all the help given because it gave me courage to get him to clarify exactly what I owed for exactly what and he knew that i had an independent source checking it out.
    He was more than willing to get a second and third opinion in for the work done and so alls well that ends well so thatnk you BaZmo and all.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement