Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mark Henry

• 06-01-2006 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭

Nice to see him back on tv, always thought that with his power he has the potential to do amazingly well, just so long as the wwe stop lumbering him with terrible gimmicks and angles.

I know he was never the most technical of wrestlers, or the most charasmatic, but he was as good as many big men out there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

He's certainly got the look and the size to be a credible main eventer though I'm not convinced about his actual wrestling ability.

One of his major problems has been staying fit, he constantly seems to injure himself soon after his big returns. If he could just stay injury free for a year or even just six months they might be able to give him a decent push but I doubt he will even last three months before he's back on the shelf again. He just seems to be one of those guys who is either very unlucky or very easily injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

In all fairness what real advantage does his strenght give him??? There are not too many feats of strenght left to do in the WWE. They made a huge issue about Brock F 5'ing the big show when it was obvious all along that Brock could easily firemans carry 500 pounds. Sure swinging him out there was a feat worth watching!!!

If he can wrestle then thats fine, but calling him the worlds strongest man will be a mistake, they should let him move on from that and develop in other ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

They call him "the worlds strongest man" because he earned that title outside of WWE. It isn't just some gimmick WWE thought of. He was brought in like Kurt Angle for his fame but the difference is Kurt could wrestle.
    Nice to see him back as long as Melina does the talking for him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I think even the "world's strongest man" title is disputed , I had heard that wwe gave him some crazy 10 year deal back in the day.

Cactus Col wrote:
    I think even the "world's strongest man" title is disputed , I had heard that wwe gave him some crazy 10 year deal back in the day.

That title is about as credible as the World Heavyweight Boxing championship since there seems to be about 5 of them at any one time. From what I know, he won one of those titles once.

Still, it does sound better to call him "Mark Henry - The Worlds Strongest Man" instead of maybe, "Mark Henry - Stronger Than Average".

You're right about the contract though, they thought he would be a huge star so signed him up long term on some big money so the only reason he is still around is that they are desparate to try to get some value from him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

his gorrila press on batista was laughable, the worlds strongest man did a worse job of pressing the 300lb batista than the warrior did of pressing the 300lb hogan at wmVI and that was after a 20 minute match.
    his strength is impressive but hardly more impressive than brock landing an f5 with the big show.
    mark henry has always been a flop in my eyes, sure it was nealy 3 years ago that the deacon batista did the spinebuster on mark henry from a standing position, no real leverage fro that position, just picked him up and boom.
    mark henry will get a little run near the top as fodder for batista as he has incredibly bad in ring skills, or he did have when he last left, and will dissappear to velocity shortly thereafter to eventually leave the company again.
    he'd have been much better of mixing it up around the us title race and causing trouble, and maybe being used to give randy a springboard to the title. but honestly it bugs me to see wwe giving chances to useless wrestlers like this, when they release good talent.

wasn't it in foleys book that the wwe merchandiser signed henry up for every piece of merchandise you could imagine and yet told austin in 96 that he saw no potential for stone cold merchandise, and stone cold went on to be the biggest seller in history.

edit just read despatchs post you might have hit the nail on the head, tthe may just being trying to get some of their moneys worth, personally i'd like to see him square off against visc or snitskyy or kane

Henry had done some powerlifting, had competed in the Olympics and placed pretty poorly for a man with his supoosed strenght.

As for his "Worlds Strongest Man" claim, i don't think he ever competed in a strongman comp, let alone won the Worlds in it. And for anyone to call themselves the World's Strongest Man while Kaz and Magnus Ver Magnusson, hell, even Glen Ross walk the earth is a tad farfetched!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

I don't dislike him and there is a place for him on the roster, but there's no way a guy of his ability should be walking straight into main event status, they did the same thing with him a few years ago when he went after Goldberg.There's talk of him and Big Dave for the belt at the rumble, that's as bad as when Bob Holly challenged Lesnar.
    Still, i'd say this is his last hurrah, that 10 year deal is up this year...

If he has improved as a wrestler then i will understand it. But only then. Sure, we know it's all written. But in any sport, when some guy is out for a while and he comes back he comes gunning for the champ. I can understand that. But if he cannot pull off the matches then i would worry about it. After all, Batista is a fine wrestler, nothing spectacular however and i do not feel he will have the ability to carry Mark Henry should he need to. On the other hand, this may be the perfect chance for Batista to grow and develop in the ring, playing the smarter game and maybe even going for a submission victory????

I would doubt he will get Henry up for the Bomb, and would like to see him finish off people with some more variety.

Dragan wrote:
    I would doubt he will get Henry up for the Bomb, and would like to see him finish off people with some more variety.

I agree that any match between these two is likely to be a horror to watch but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Batista could powerbomb Henry. This could simply be a re-run of the whole Lesner / Big Show feud which was designed to demonstrate Lesners strength.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure, when Batista first started he had trouble getting Kane up for the Bomb. Sure, a lot of it is technique, but you also need a lot of raw power, and a lot of it needs to be helped along by the guy taking the move.

I don't see Henry having the agility to help it much. Last time i checked he was what, 420? Not sure what he is weighing in at now but if I see Batista power bombing him I will be surprised, especially as a lat tear will rob a lot of his power for this move. Add that Batista is more of a big man than a strong man ( as far as WWE standards go folks, not normal standards ) and i think you'll see him go a different path, but thats just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I for one am glad to see Sexual Chocolate back in the WWE.

Dragan wrote:
    ...if I see Batista power bombing him I will be surprised...

You may be right but time will tell.

Did you ever see what happened when Kevin Nash tried to powerbomb Big Show in WCW (back when Show was called The Giant)? He nearly killed him, dropped him straight on his neck! I have a video clip of it so if anyone knows where I can host it I'll upload it or PM me you email address and I'll send it to you.

I just watched it again and I still don't know what the hell they were thinking getting Nash to try that move!

Jesus, i will always remember HHH Pedigree on that dude who really ****ing jumped into it. Can't remember his name, poor dude just spiked himself!!!

Dragan wrote:
    Jesus, i will always remember HHH Pedigree on that dude who really ****ing jumped into it. Can't remember his name, poor dude just spiked himself!!!

Yeah I remember that one, I think he broke his neck didn't he? HHH does the Pedigree in a far different way than he used to, in the case where that guy got hurt, he pulled his arm way back and really drove his head down hard. Now, he almost seems to push himself away from whoever is taking the move and it really looks weak by comparison.

Yeah i know. But apparently he was really broke up over the kid and was really thinking about throwing in the towel.

I always find it strange how these guys really seem to get affected when they really hurt some one, like Vader crying back stage in the locker room, with Mick Foley when he thought he had paralysed some kid.

Man, it must be rough to have that sort of weight on your each match, knowing if you step wrong someone could get really hurt.

I think that may have been the last human act of Paul Lavesque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Speaking of Vader, didn't Batista powerbomb him recently, they messed up the move (not sure who was at fault there), and had to make a second attempt at it, wouldn't say he weighs too much less than Mark Henry at the moment.

Man, if I missed Batista bombing Vader i'm gonna be real upset! :(

Cactus Col wrote:
    Speaking of Vader, didn't Batista powerbomb him recently, they messed up the move (not sure who was at fault there), and had to make a second attempt at it, wouldn't say he weighs too much less than Mark Henry at the moment.

I think he might have given him a spinebuster but I'm not sure. I do remember that Vader looked like he could barely walk and then he fell on his fat ass when he was getting out of the ring :D

Man, i loved Vader when i was kid. He just did'nt give a ****.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

i remember that run in, at the end of taboo tuesday, i thought he spinbustered vader and batista bombed coach.
    i doubt he will batista bomb him given that he's rehabbing a back injury, but he'll definitely deliver a good spinebuster.

btw who was the person HHH sidabled, was it a storyline or for real.

Rather unfortunately it was for real. Go here for the clip.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=710915802292429594&q=triple+h

Here's the video of Nash attempting to powerbomb the Big Show, you will need to click 'Download' and then on the next page click'Download this file now' before you see it.

http://www.savefile.com/files2.php?fid=8553251

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Dragan wrote:
    Rather unfortunately it was for real. Go here for the clip.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=710915802292429594&q=triple+h

holy ****

Dude,

i just watched that Nash Clip. Can you imagine the conversation they had about the spot beforehand.

Nash : "Hey Paul, I was thinking about trying to powerbomb you."
    Show : "Well Kevin, give it a go. I used to play basketball and despite my severe lack of athletic ability i was alright at it. Surely my height and giant hands which were of such benefit to me during this completely unrelated sport will assist me in the flip that will ensure you don't snap my neck. ha ha ha"
    Nash : "Indeed. ha ha ha"

And afterwards:
    Nash :"..........."
    Show:"arghhhhhhhh.....ugggg.....splahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"
    Nash:"............"

*** Disclaimer, all events in this post are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual people or conversations between people, by these people real people, or fictitious people, or real people playing fictitious people is purely a coincidence. So there.

Did you notice Big Shows arms flailing around desparately trying to get hold of Nash as he was being lifted? He knew it was all going to end badly as soon as his feet left the ground.

To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if WCW pushed Big Show into doing the spot like they did when Sid broke his leg. As for Nash - well what had he got to lose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Mark Henry is utter crap.

Did you hear about the spot he botched on the Smackdown taping? Wait until you all see Smackdown tonight and how much they have to severely edit the match...

Mark Henry is utter crap.

Did you hear about the spot he botched on the Smackdown taping? Wait until you all see Smackdown tonight and how much they have to severely edit the match...

Well I'm going to watch Smackdown tonight so how about you fill me in on the botched spot later?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

smackdown is getting worse and worse and worse. Mark Henry is one of the worst wrestler's EVER!. He has no in ring ability. His performance on SD this week is nothing short of a joke. Batista as we know is not a great in ring performer but gets by when there's somebody to make him look good. I give him credit for improving alot though and he is much better than Chris Masters. I dont know why Chris Masters is in the WWE cuz sometimes it looks like he never wrestled before in his life. Mark Henry versus Batista though. That could be one of the most boring spectacles ever on tv. There is no way Batista can lift Mark Henry for the powerbomb either. It just ain't happening. I wonder could he even get his hands around Henry's waist. Im just giving up on SD now. Im not watching it anymore now that everyone knows that Randy Ortan is going to wrestlemania against Batista.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

There is no way Batista can lift Mark Henry for the powerbomb either.

I remember a few years back when Brock first came in that Batista was having a match with Mark Henry.

He lifted him onto his shoulders and did a front flip.

I reckon he can powerbomb him easily enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

He actually did win a strongman contest a few years ago, it was one organised by Arnold Schwarzenegger, they showed videos of it for ages on tv. He lifted some stone that nobody had ever lifted or some **** like that

As far as wrestling goes though, he's ****. He's a walking anti-climax. I was waiting for something good to happen on SD, but it was just that feeling of "is that it?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Welcome back Mark Henry "The biggest fattest slob with no wrestling ability" ever to walk God's green earth...The SD storylines go from bad to worse....

PS I would never say it to his face just in case he's knocking around although I would say it's handy enough to outrun him...!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

By my recollection, Mark Henry was signed in 1996 to a 10 year deal which kicked off in early 1997 after he had to rehap a busted ankle, his excuse for blowing the Olympics. :rolleyes:

Something still tells me he was on a $1 million+ a year deal, but if I am wrong I am sure my guess is nearer that than the typical development deal. And inspite of all the traiining and diets they put him on, he is still the ****s. Loved his Sexual Chocolate gimmick, but the rest was rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Lita Forever

I guess the only good thing is that he has Melina managing him. That makes him at least watchable for me.

And besides, there's a good chance his matches with Batista will be kept mercifully brief. Some slow brawling- couple of power moves by Henry- spinebuster by Batista- 1-2-3. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

Maybe a stipulation will be thrown in to help them through. No Dq or something. MNM do a run in. Mark Henry becomes new champ. It could happen...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Lita Forever

It could. But hopefully with the grace of all that is good it won't.

Okay, so was watching Smackdown over the weekend and i stand by my original fears about Henry.

He is just not intimidating in the slightest. If i saw him ambling towards the ring, i would more than likely laugh then anything else.

He can be as strong as he wants, but when thats all he has i just can't take him seriously. Also his "strenght" would appear to have really fallen off. He had severe trouble ( again ) extending on the gorilla press. Batista weighs what? 300 lbs?

Just not good enough. I can standing military press 200+ from standing ffs.

I am really getting the feeling that the next few weeks are going to be ****.

Be as strong as you want, Captain Heelhook says "You tapped the **** out son"

Advertisement