Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boro Keeper in Shock Transfer Request...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Where did the Arsenal reference come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Where did the Arsenal reference come from?

Arsenal where after him a while ago and so where Utd. Utd till he signed a new contract last seeason. Seeing as Utd Keeper is doing well it is only right they will link him with Arsenal. Chelsea or Liverpool dont need a keeper.

Arsenal could do with a 'keeper because mophead is useless and also dirty. See what he done to Parker and he tried to do the same in another game, think it was Villa but he missed the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

If Arsenal are going after anyone, they should have a look at Shay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Sorry, just asked as the report just had the headline and "more news to follow" when I loaded it, wondered where Iago's tapping up query came from :) Does make sense I guess!

Shay is the only thing keeping Newcastle going atm, they wouldn't let him go in a pink fit!

According to Sky Sports News, they have reports that he handed it in because he was dropped for tomorrow's FA Cup game.

Its against Nuneaton Borough though so surely he'd expect to be rested.

Perhaps McLaren told him he was going to try out the reserve keeper for a few games and he had a strop though.

• Advertisement

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Sorry, just asked as the report just had the headline and "more news to follow" when I loaded it, wondered where Iago's tapping up query came from :) Does make sense I guess!

Shay is the only thing keeping Newcastle going atm, they wouldn't let him go in a pink fit!

Well Shay hasn't signed a new contract and doesn't look like he is going to because he wants to win things and with Newcastle and the state they are in he wont there. I am not sure how long is left on contract but I think 18 months or so. If he doesn't sign Newcastle will sell in summer or maybe now if money is right and they are sure to get replacement.

Good few keepers available now with Nieimi from Southampton, Wright from Everton, Jaaskelainen from Bolton so far. All decent keepers

Lemlin wrote:
    According to Sky Sports News, they have reports that he handed it in because he was dropped for tomorrow's FA Cup game.

Its against Nuneaton Borough though so surely he'd expect to be rested.

Perhaps McLaren told him he was going to try out the reserve keeper for a few games and he had a strop though.

He had an injury for a while and the reserve keeper was playing a stormer and is a local lad if I remember correctly. Could be afraid he is being replaced? he is 33 after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

considering they've only just given him a 3 year contract I find it hard to believe that they would want to replace him with a young lad.

Personally I think someone has been in his ear about winning trophies before he retires and the chance to play in the champions league etc. It's been well documented that Arsenal are on the lookout for a proven stopper so that's why I mentioned potential tapping up.

Interesting to see what happens over the next week or two, it seems very sudden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Lemlin wrote:

I have to say I think Shay is overrated. He undenabily agile, is great 1on1 and makes the most of what he's got but I don't think I've ever seen a keeper at that level that gets beaten by shots from outside the box as often as he does.

I read somewhere that Liverpool defenders of the 70's explained that part of the reason they were so good was because the back 4 knew that as long as they could keep the opposition 20 yards or more from their goal that Ray Clemence could never be beaten from there. You can't say the same about Shay.

Anyway, I know that if I had intentions of winning the premiership that Given wouldn't be on my shopping list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

big blow for boro. hes a class act. while were on arsenal and goalkeepers, do people think lehmann is good enough? i hate the man and i find it hard to look past this bias to give a fair judgement of him. tuesday night against unite dhe kicked four bad balls one after the other into the same area, ie over or on the touchline. it also seems he thinks that the box is his house and if you trespass in it hes allowed to use reasonable force (usually with his mouth) to defend his house.

• Advertisement

Pigman II wrote:
    I have to say I think Shay is overrated. He undenabily agile, is great 1on1 and makes the most of what he's got but I don't think I've ever seen a keeper at that level that gets beaten by shots from outside the box as often as he does.

I read somewhere that Liverpool defenders of the 70's explained that part of the reason they were so good was because the back 4 knew that as long as they could keep the opposition 20 yards or more from their goal that Ray Clemence could never be beaten from there. You can't say the same about Shay.

Anyway, I know that if I had intentions of winning the premiership that Given wouldn't be on my shopping list.

Reason why is because he has 2 lamp posts in front of him not blocking. If you call Bramble/Boumsong a central defence then thats your problem. You can give the ball to a player in the League 2 and leave him 30 yards outside the box with no defence and they will score no matter how good the keeper is.

Well if you don't rate him I wonder. Given has been in top 3 and has won the Keeper of the season in the last 3 season. So you wouldn't buy one of the top 3 goalkeeper in PL for the last few season. See you in relagation zone so

Pigman II wrote:

I'd agree with Big Nelly. Given has repeatedly been one of the best keepers in the PL. How many games this season would Newcastle have been hammered in were it not for him? How would Ireland have fared in Cyprus were it not for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

Lemlin wrote:

true they really should buy a good keeper lehmann is a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

Pigman II wrote:

overrated yr havin a laugh! he his a brilliant keeper id b happy if he was at united wat a keeper newcastle would be lost without him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

He was boo-ed by Boro fans after the St.Stephens Day game I believe too. After just signing a contract last season it must be that some other team has tapped him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Big Nelly wrote:
    Well Shay hasn't signed a new contract and doesn't look like he is going to because he wants to win things and with Newcastle and the state they are in he wont there. I am not sure how long is left on contract but I think 18 months or so. If he doesn't sign Newcastle will sell in summer or maybe now if money is right and they are sure to get replacement.

Good few keepers available now with Nieimi from Southampton, Wright from Everton, Jaaskelainen from Bolton so far. All decent keepers

Wright from Everton ? Your having a laugh right ???? :confused:

Sorry for the 2 posts in a row !

ciaran76 wrote:
    Wright from Everton ? Your having a laugh right ???? :confused:

Sorry for the 2 posts in a row !

No posted this already somewhere else, talk of him going to Southampton for an exchange for Nieimi and some cash or been put on market

Wright is a good keeper and was one of the top keepers in England till Wenger bought him and put him on bench. He was about to replace Seamen in the goals for England and was getting a good few caps. Never played that season and went to Everton low on confidence, then came up against Martyn who nobody could have expected to play the way he has the last while at his age. Quality keeper once his confidence comes back

Remember when Given left Blackburn he had lost all confidence and took a season or 2 to get it back fully. See what he is like now

Big Nelly wrote:
    Reason why is because he has 2 lamp posts in front of him not blocking. If you call Bramble/Boumsong a central defence then thats your problem. You can give the ball to a player in the League 2 and leave him 30 yards outside the box with no defence and they will score no matter how good the keeper is.
    It's not just at Newcastle He's been letting them in predominantly in those positions with Ireland for nearly 10 years now too ... but of course I guess you'll blame the decade of centrebacks featured there too.
    Well if you don't rate him I wonder. Given has been in top 3 and has won the Keeper of the season in the last 3 season. So you wouldn't buy one of the top 3 goalkeeper in PL for the last few season. See you in relagation zone so
    So what? The so called 'best' keepers are usually those who have bad defences in front of them.
    as it keeps them busy and able to compile a nice highlights reel each week. I'm not saying Given doesn't make a fair contribution to Newcastle, I'm saying get Cech (or Reina or whoever) to play for Newcastle for a month and he'd show that he could do a better job for them than Given does.

Pigman II wrote:
    It's not just at Newcastle He's been letting them in predominantly in those positions with Ireland for nearly 10 years now too ... but of course I guess you'll blame the decade of centrebacks featured there too.

So what? The so called 'best' keepers are usually those who have bad defences in front of them.
    as it keeps them busy and able to compile a nice highlights reel each week. I'm not saying Given doesn't make a fair contribution to Newcastle, I'm saying get Cech (or Reina or whoever) to play for Newcastle for a month and he'd show that he could do a better job for them than Given does.

Reina? You're having a laugh, right? Did you see him at the weekend against Bolton. The first time Liverpool have been pressurised in defence in weeks and he gifts Bolton a goal. He done the same at Brum earlier in the season.

He's a good keeper but hugely unproven in the PL. Just look at how Dudek endd up after showing so much promise at the start.

Unlike Given, who has been voted best 'keeper of the season by his fellow players. Shearer came out last season after one game, against 'Boro I think it was, and said how Shay had saved the team in plenty of games, and was one of the most important team members.

As for letting Ireland down, think back to a few games like the Iran play-off, where he made great saves. Not to mention the Cyprus game and countless others.

As Football365.com put it when he won their goalkeeper of the year award for 2005:

In a paradoxical way, it helped that he is behind one of the worst defences in the Premiership, but the Irishman has indisputably been the best keeper in the top flight this year.

Lemlin wrote:
    As for letting Ireland down, think back to a few games like the Israel play-off, where he made great saves. Not to mention the Cyprus game and countless others.

We didn't have a play-off against Israel. And am I supposed to be impressed he saved a bunch of half-hearted attempts v the unimaginative Cypriots?

Bottom line is if you compile a list of goals Given has conceded for us I am absolutely positive you will find a disproportionally high amount of them were conceded outside the box. Blame all the defenders you like if it makes you feel better but I'm pointing the finger at Shay for that one.

• Advertisement

Pigman II wrote:

Seems everyone is on bash the Irish players mode over the last while. Has been on here for a while but for the first time we have actual seen someone bash Shay.

Again like I said to the person who had a go at O'Shea but had nothing to back it up, watch the game will you. Why bother coming on here with no knowledge? you should know most people on here watch alot(I watch every game on sky and other channels possible) and know about it. You will prob tell me you know the game. Well my answer is if you do then why slate a player that has been one of the best goalkeepers in England for years, been one of Newcastles best players, and after all that been one of the best irish players in the last 5-6 years.

If you don't believe me then watch the footie programs, was listening to Jimmy Hills show last week and everyone of them agreed that only because of the form of Givens Souness would have been sacked months ago and they couldnt believe in games how they watched the Given v Opposition for the full game.

Your having a laugh arnt you mentioning Reina in regards to Given, he is a decent keeper who has a great defence in front of him and Carra is along with Terry the best centre back in England at the moment. Reina has been in the PL wat? 6 months? he already has made a few clangers and also can be dodgy on the cross. But again he is getting used to the PL. Talk about him in 2-3 year and then rate him against Given. Cech has the best defence in the World at the moment sitting in front of him. What would Given do with that defence. Also I think Cech has dropped 2 clanger this season. One against Bolton if memory serves me right.

Pigman II wrote:
    We didn't have a play-off against Israel. And am I supposed to be impressed he saved a bunch of half-hearted attempts v the unimaginative Cypriots?

Bottom line is if you compile a list of goals Given has conceded for us I am absolutely positive you will find a disproportionally high amount of them were conceded outside the box. Blame all the defenders you like if it makes you feel better but I'm pointing the finger at Shay for that one.

Where is the stat then?

Big Nelly wrote:
    Where is the stat then?

.... if you compile a list of goals Given has conceded for us I am absolutely positive you will ....

Where did I say there was such a stat?

Pigman II wrote:

Sorry, meant Iran but had Israel in my head after the World Cup qualifiers. I think all that will show is that, if Given is beaten, its usually something special, like Henry's goal in Landsdowne.

Pigman II wrote:
    .... if you compile a list of goals Given has conceded for us I am absolutely positive you will ....

Where did I say there was such a stat?

Why should I? you came on and told everyone that Shay lets in loads of goals from outside the box and loads of keepers are better than him. Not me so prove it. If you can't well that just tell me what I knew all along.

Big Nelly wrote:
    ..... agreed that only because of the form of O'Shea Souness would have been sacked months ago and they

....couldnt believe in games how they watched the O'Shea v Opposition for the full game.

What would O'Shea do with that defence.

Again you're lecturing me about knowing the game and thrice refer to Newcastles goalkeeper as 'O'Shea'. My opinion is that whilst Given is probably one of the busiest goalkeepers in the premiership he is certainly not the best goalkeeper in the premiership.

Lemlin wrote:
    Sorry, meant Iran but had Israel in my head after the World Cup qualifiers. I think all that will show is that, if Given is beaten, its usually something special, like Henry's goal in Landsdowne.

I suppose that 90th minute equaliser v Israel was 'special' too?

Pigman II wrote:
    Again you're lecturing me about knowing the game and thrice refer to Newcastles goalkeeper as 'O'Shea'. My opinion is that whilst Shay is probably one of the busiest goalkeepers in the premiership he is certainly not the best goalkeeper in the premiership.

Sorry typo

Pigman II wrote:

Ahh sad, cant back up point so check for spelling errors.

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Why should I? you came on and told everyone that Shay lets in loads of goals from outside the box and loads of keepers are better than him. Not me so prove it. If you can't well that just tell me what I knew all along.

I don't need stats to believe it. I don't need to prove it to you either. If you want to claim my point is erroneous then you disprove it.

Big Nelly wrote:
    Ahh sad, cant back up point so check for spelling errors.

And you're getting very defensive now for some unknown reason. So much so that you're replying to stuff that was said to Lemlin.

Pigman II wrote:

Nope, but it was down to Ireland's poor tactics rather than Shay. Let's not open that can of worms though.

Let's be honest, you've claimed that Shay is not the best keeper in the PL. I think he's definitely in the top two - him and Cech. You have also put forward an unproven keeper, who has made two poor errors already in half a season, as better.

Shay has recieved numerous awards, as well as been voted best keeper in the PL by his peers (not sure about twice but definitely once). Football365, a well-known and respected website, also describe him as being " indisputably the best keeper in the top flight this year". I couldn't be bothered looking up what other sites have said but I imagine very few criticise him.

I would also imagine he is one of the longest serving, if not the longest serving, 'keepers in the Premiership. Surely proof of his quality that he has lasted at the top level, at the one club, for so long. And, this is also a club who, pre-Souness, were one of the best in England.

In all fairness, you couldn't blame me or Big Nelly for taking your suggestion with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

Pigman II wrote:
    Again you're lecturing me about knowing the game and thrice refer to Newcastles goalkeeper as 'O'Shea'. My opinion is that whilst Given is probably one of the busiest goalkeepers in the premiership he is certainly not the best goalkeeper in the premiership.

Who, in your opinion, is the the best keeper in the premiership? Shay is just as good as Reina and Cech IMO (and the majority of the peoples here it seems).
    Pigman II wrote:

I dont agree with you blaming Shay but surely you cant single out him as an individual. It is the defense and midfields fault for not closing players down and allowing the opposition to take shots, so blame the team not the individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Jeez, talk about off-topic.

Schwarzer has been excellent for 'Boro, but he hasn't been on his best form this season. Maybe he heard of interest from another club that sparked this, (Arsenal?) or maybe he just felt stale at the club...they have been really mediocre this season, despite their good UEFA Cup run. He probably needs a fresh challenge to stay on-form for the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The thing about Given, which I will never understand, is why he is at Newcastle?
    Ultimately I accept that managers know more about football than I do, and both Fergie and Wenger have never gone after him, despite amazing preformances against them, and their desperate need for a keeper? Why, I don't know, but there must be somethign stopping him getting snapped up.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    The thing about Given, which I will never understand, is why he is at Newcastle?
    Ultimately I accept that managers know more about football than I do, and both Fergie and Wenger have never gone after him, despite amazing preformances against them, and their desperate need for a keeper? Why, I don't know, but there must be somethign stopping him getting snapped up.

The cost I'm imagine. Newcastle would demand big bucks for him. He's still a relatively young 'keeper. He'd be alot more expensive than Lehmann or Van Der Saar were for their respective clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Given is a legend... end of story.

Newcastle would have been relegated last season if it wasn't for him. Their defense was terrible last season and the amount of times he pulled off double and triple saves after defensive fcuk-ups was crazy.

He has always played to the best of his ability for Ireland and has rarely let us down.

The game against everton this season at goodison, which everton won 1-0 could have been at least 4-0 if it wasn't for Given....

Anybody who says otherwise is just nit-picking.... I reckon he will leave newcastle when his contract runs out though for the chance of a medal or two. He would also be great in Spain or Italy for a few seasons... Its a pity that Irish players automatically think that they have to play in England all the time.... plenty of past Irish internationals could fit into those league no probs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If anyone wants to go checking each clubs' goals conceded outside the box ratio:
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team/stats?id=361&cc=5739
    :)

Because of his height a lot of people will presume that he wouldn't be as good outside the box. I don't believe that. Richie Baker would beat most players to a header and look at the height of him. :)

Pigman II wrote:
    And you're getting very defensive now for some unknown reason. So much so that you're replying to stuff that was said to Lemlin.

Well you quoted my typo and then Lemlin's mistake

Defensive? yes. Reason: well you came onto a thread about a Boro goalkeeper after someone had suggested Given would be a better option for Arsenal and started to slag off Given and saying that he wasn't one of the top goalkeepers in the PL.

I asked for stats or some way to prove this. What do we get back? a couple of posts about spelling. If you can't quote stats then how do you know if he is a bad keeper? if it is a personal opinion then say so because then we can all laugh at you.

Again why should I prove that you haven't a clue about what you are saying? if you can't prove it then why should someone else waste his/her time proving your wrong?

Just read the thread and as you can see every other person on here has good things to say about Shay. So why dont you prove that Shay is a bad keeper. If not then keep your opinions to yourself because your just trolling and trying to start a flame war!!!!!!

Big Nelly wrote:
    Well you quoted my typo and then Lemlin's mistake

Defensive? yes. Reason: well you came onto a thread about a Boro goalkeeper after someone had suggested Given would be a better option for Arsenal and started to slag off Given and saying that he wasn't one of the top goalkeepers in the PL.

I asked for stats or some way to prove this. What do we get back? a couple of posts about spelling. If you can't quote stats then how do you know if he is a bad keeper? if it is a personal opinion then say so because then we can all laugh at you.

Again why should I prove that you haven't a clue about what you are saying? if you can't prove it then why should someone else waste his/her time proving your wrong?

Just read the thread and as you can see every other person on here has good things to say about Shay. So why dont you prove that Shay is a bad keeper. If not then keep your opinions to yourself because your just trolling and trying to start a flame war!!!!!!

Before you wet yourself again please reread the posts and realise I never suggested Given was a bad keeper. I said he was an 'overrated' keeper. To once again demonstrate my impartial pov note how I readily listed Givens qualities in my very first post.

However I am of the opinion that his ability in dealing with long range shots is lacking and that these shortcomings are of part of his own game not his teammates and as such he is not close to idea of a 'complete' goalkeeper in my eyes.

As for slagging him I don't how saying a player is good at W,X and Y but not at Z equates to 'slagging'? Sure you're not over reacting there a bit Nelly?

As for stats once again if you want to refute my claim then the burden of proof is on you. I'm quite happy to state that (unlike yourself) I respect your opinion for what it is and have no interest in trying to change it (with stats or otherwise). You on the other hand seem adamant on proving me wrong so I'm saying "fine prove me wrong".

Add to this that I have never said I have stats to back up my claim but likewise you have nothing to disprove my claim which leaves us at a bit of a stalemate. If you want to take the the high ground and 'have a laugh' at my expense then it least back it up with something a little more empirical than just 'its true because uh everyone says so' :rolleyes:

Finally fact that you think I am 'trolling' when I am merely stating my opinion just shows how defensive and overly serious you seem to take the issue. Perhaps you should take a few minutes to calm down before you reply.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'd be amazed if Arsenal were interested in Schwarzer. Lehmann, hot-head that he is, has been outstanding since he returned to the side last season. Form-wise there are very few keepers I'd trade him for, so there's not much point bringing in another keeper unless he is a long-term replacement - which Schwarzer would not be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

just wann throw in my 2 cents- without Given i am pretty sure Newcastle would be playing championship football. also very strange bout schwarzer, maybe he is sick of playing for an under performing squad and wants a move into the tops teams but i dont see where he can go? i'd like to see him move to wigan, god knows they need a good keeper.

Looks like he thought some big club would move for him but that didn't happen, only club was Pompey which would be a step down and Boro where about to buy a keeper and all of a sudden he has a change of heart. Footballer who think they are better than they are. Joke

Middlesbrough goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer has come off the transfer list after a change of heart.

The Australian international has withdrawn the transfer request which was accepted by manager Steve McClaren a fortnight ago and will be in the squad for Saturday's Barclays Premiership clash with Wigan.

Schwarzer's place has been taken in the last three games by compatriot Brad Jones

Advertisement