Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The FA Cup 3rd round thread (predictions/scores/results)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Just a few choice quotes from our collective posters:
    PHB wrote:
    GWAN MY SON!

Luton 2 - 1 Liverpool
    come on the Luton! ;)
    fade2black wrote:
    Poetic justice indeed. See Gerrard after his goal? Cocky little git...really hope Luton dump them out tonight.
    fade2black wrote:
    Get in there!!!!! 3-1
    el rabitos wrote:
    i bet 20 dolla pool come back
    fade2black wrote:
    I'll take that bet
    NoelRock wrote:
    waffle... an then this =>
    Furthermore, I'd like to point out - we've conceded six in our last three games, after a run of having no goals scored against us. Is this a worrying sign? It shows lack of character to me...
    B-K-DzR wrote:
    umm if i had a pipe im sure id comply....

ROFL B-K
    OTliddy wrote:
    Hope Luton score again

All I have to say is ROFL see you all in Europe next season!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Well it was certainly interesting to put it mildly. Had to laugh at gerrard about to turn around and feck Alonso for not passing and then looks back to the goal and see the ball going in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

yea nice on fadetoblack your betting prowess is sure to see you safely in money in your old age.

KdjaC wrote:
    Not even close to the record, Pat Jennings has it ;) so do the maths.

kdjac
    What about the record held by an "outfield" player? Also was PJ's goal for NI? So What about the record in an FA cup game? :rolleyes: When you have done your maths, get back to me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

classic FA cup game. I think we'll win this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

The Muppet wrote:
    Very enjoyable game, Stevie G was very frank with his post match interview. Alonsos goal was nothing special , I would expect any pro football to be able to score into an empty net from there.
    I dunno, it was on his weaker foot, would be pretty easy to slice wide.

As Alonso took the shot, i loved Gerrard's reaction. He wanted the pass & was about to blow his top :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I dont know, I doubt he would have gotten it, cause if anyone scored from the sideline from similar range or closer even, they would be further away from the goal.

The Muppet wrote:
    Alonsos goal was nothing special , I would expect any pro football to be able to score into an empty net from there.
    Yea, nothing special. Does bitterness have a smell? Did'nt Giggs miss an empty net the 90's with no keeper in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have to laugh, one day Liverpool will play a routine dull cup game.

I still think its a distraction but the fact Liverpool played thier way back to win shows character!.

Mike.

ps its good to see the Boss reads my posts re Flo-Po!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

mayordenis wrote:
    i'll love ya forever.

I've a 50 second clip (the montage thingy BBC showed at the end) on the way. My connection is so sh1te that thats all I can do at the moment. Keep an eye on the thread though, there'll be more to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The Muppet wrote:
    Very enjoyable game, Stevie G was very frank with his post match interview. Alonsos goal was nothing special , I would expect any pro football to be able to score into an empty net from there.

Are you taking the piss?

A coupel of examples: Gazza at half time in the first sky one "match" program. Had three goes from the half way line on an emptry pitch and missed each time.

Do you watch Soccer AM? Every week in the crossbar challenge a good percentage of the players fail to get near the goal, either pulling left or right, never mind hittin g the crossbar.

Alonso did it with a movign ball, fifteen yards back from the half way line, having rounded the keeper and with players screaming for a pass, in the middle of a game.

PHB wrote:
    I dont know, I doubt he would have gotten it, cause if anyone scored from the sideline from similar range or closer even, they would be further away from the goal.
    Could be right. Depends where they take the measurment to. i.e. is it to the centre of the goal or from where the ball crosses. Doesn't matter all that much. It was a great goal taken with great composure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

mayordenis wrote:
    yea nice on fadetoblack your betting prowess is sure to see you safely in money in your old age.

:rolleyes:

Luton should have locked it down at 3-1, they got over confident.

And Hobart with all those quotes...let's put things in context here...You had to come back from 3 goals down against a 1st division team...that's not much to be gloating about to be honest. Whatever way you look at it it's 3 goals conceded by a team that are lower than Sunderland in the leagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Hobart wrote:
    What about the record held by an "outfield" player? Also was PJ's goal for NI? So What about the record in an FA cup game? :rolleyes: When you have done your maths, get back to me....

Jennings scored 2, one vs Derby County in 83 Fa Cup 3rd round irc, but yeah Alonsos was the best ever strike from his own half by an outfiled player :rolleyes:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Still cant stop laughin at alonso's 2 goals. lol

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote:
    Are you taking the piss?
    I think you have answered your own question there. He obviously is
    Stekelly wrote:
    A coupel of examples: Gazza at half time in the first sky one "match" program. Had three goes from the half way line on an emptry pitch and missed each time.

Do you watch Soccer AM? Every week in the crossbar challenge a good percentage of the players fail to get near the goal, either pulling left or right, never mind hittin g the crossbar.

Alonso did it with a movign ball, fifteen yards back from the half way line, having rounded the keeper and with players screaming for a pass, in the middle of a game.
    I doubt he even has a TV to be honest, as he makes so so many strange observations.

But very well said and also bang on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Best game I have seen in a long long time. Amazing goals by Alonso & Gerrard. Fair play to Sinama aswell. Credit also to Luton, they really played very well.

KdjaC wrote:
    Jennings scored 2, one vs Derby County in 83 Fa Cup 3rd round irc, but yeah Alonsos was the best ever strike from his own half by an outfiled player :rolleyes:

kdjac
    Good, and thank you. This posting is sponsered by Google, a friend to Kdjac :confused:

Stekelly wrote:
    Are you taking the piss?

Just living up to his nick again, tbh.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Just living up to his nick again, tbh.
    LMAO.

• Advertisement

http://www.zen74609.zen.co.uk/video/gerrard_fall.avi
    Gerrard slippin, anyone get the goals??

Kevin Foley was pretty handy in the game - composed on the ball and hits some decent passes. Seems quite similar to Finnan.

Worth a callup to the senior squad maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

stevie G wrote:
    Hope that's not on the telly

:D Funny stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Stekelly wrote:
    Are you taking the piss?

No I'm not taking the piss. I was watching the gazza incident and I was amazed he couldn't hit the target from the centre spot, maybe there was a reason for that.

I do watch soccer AM. They are trying to hit the crossbar which explains why they miss so much. There is a hugh difference between that and trying to put the ball in the net.

I,m sorry but I don't see anything special in a pro footballer being able to hit the target from inside his own half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

The Muppet wrote:
    I would expect any pro football to be able to score into an empty net from there.

not as easy as it looks in my opinion. i wouldnt go as far as saying any pro footballer could do it (although technically you didnt say that)....for one example i seem to remember gascoigne having to score from closer with no players and no keeper (charity thing at half time during sky one's "the match") he missed the first time, and the second, and the third was going wide before jimmy 5 bellies bounced it in off one of his bellies :D

edit* just seen the gazza thing above now - have to say muppet it would be better for you if you were taking the piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

From that distance, the goal is a very small target, and the ball must be struck with both a lot of power and accuracy to score.

Haven't seen the Alonso goal yet though, someone upload something quick!

[edited to remove what might be considered as personal abuse :rolleyes:]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

for somebody with the passing range of alonso you would expect him to score 9 out of 10 times in that situation really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The Muppet wrote:
    No I'm not taking the piss. I was watching the gazza incident and I was amazed he couldn't hit the target from the centre spot, maybe there was a reason for that.

I do watch soccer AM. They are trying to hit the crossbar which explains why they miss so much. There is a hugh difference between that and trying to put the ball in the net.

I,m sorry but I don't see anything special in a pro footballer being able to hit the target from inside his own half.

Well then you obviously dont know much about football. Pro players miss chances like that all the time. To keep it on target from that distance and to avoid all the players in the way in the middle of a game is a very hard thing to do.

Berns wrote:

On the way, cheers for that clip!

Well then you're a fool. From that distance, the goal is a very small target, and the ball must be struck with both a lot of power and accuracy to score.

Haven't seen the Alonso goal yet though, someone upload something quick!:rolleyes:]

It might be a good Idea to actually see the goal before calling names TBH.

A lot of power and accuracy eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Who cares, it went in!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Stekelly wrote:

With his weaker foot as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Exactly Mike.

P.S. hey who cares its only the FA Cup right Mike! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The Muppet wrote:
    before calling names TBH.

I genuinely wasn't having a go at you, but you know how even the slightest of comments can be mistaken on this forum!

It wasn't powerful or accurate then? I can't wait to see it.

Tusky wrote:
    Well then you obviously dont know much about football. Pro players miss chances like that all the time. To keep it on target from that distance and to avoid all the players in the way in the middle of a game is a very hard thing to do.

Actually chances like that do not present themselves very often, It's seldom you get a keeper halfway up the pitch leaving his goal unattended.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

please someone get xabi's second one uploaded, friend is dyin to see it

I genuinely wasn't having a go at you, but you know how even the slightest of comments can be mistaken on this forum!

It wasn't powerful or accurate then? I can't wait to see it.

Fair enough , I,m in defensive mode at the moment as i,m under fire for expessing my opinion yet again. ;)

I,m not trying to knock alonso who I rate very highly and I,m not taking the piss either. I genuinely dont think it is very special that he could hit the target from where he did.;)

Its on the way! I promise! 68% complete.

Any of my under 13 team would score from there, seriously lads anyone that plays soccer on a regular basis and is half decent would hit the target from there 9 out of 10 times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Berns wrote:

Oh im sorry stevie, but that was definately on the telly! lol :)

irish1 wrote:
    Any of my under 13 team would score from there, seriously lads anyone that plays soccer on a regular basis and is half decent would hit the target from there 9 out of 10 times.

True , it would make you wonder how many of the armchair pundits here have ever kicked a ball in their life.

Oh im sorry stevie, but that was definately on the telly! lol :)
    Rofl, not as cool as he makes out then :v:
    The Muppet wrote:
    True , it would make you wonder how many of the armchair pundits here have ever kicked a ball in their life.
    As you have admitted yourself, you are in a defensive mood. Maybe that's whats clouding your judement so much. It's not about scoring from the half way line, any player would have done that. It's about the occasion, player, weaker foot, time in the match, state of the pitch etc... It was a great goal in the circumstances, but I guess we are all allowed our opinions on it. Yours just happens to be incorrect.;)

irish1 wrote:
    seriously lads anyone that plays soccer on a regular basis and is half decent would hit the target from there 9 out of 10 times.
    I wouldn't say anyone (half-decent, who plays regularly) could score on there weaker, less-favoured foot. Half of them maybe. It would be so easy to skew it wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

The muppet, it would be interesting to see the last time you even kicked a ball.
    I used to take goal/free/corner kicks for my under 13 team and theres no way in hell anyone of us would of been able to hit the target with a ball moving forward deep inside our own half. Might get the distance, but calculating the swerve and wind? bull****.

• Advertisement

I would score from there on my so called weaker foot without any hassle, remember Alonso is a top pro when you say weaker foot you mean the less favoured foot of professional footballer who has been training every day for probably 10 years. If he missed it I would be surprised not the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

irish1 wrote:
    I would score from there on my so called weaker foot without any hassle.

its a pity we cant test this out, i'd seriously doubt it, unless of course your weaker foot is not too much weaker than your stronger one

http://rapidshare.de/files/10604380/VID0004_EDIT0002.AVI.html

Alonsos goal. Connection is so pathetic its all I can do for now.

Plus, I'm off to the pub to get a good seat for MOTD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I would score from there on my so called weaker foot without any hassle
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Don't mean to accuse my fellow Liverpool fans of being overzealous (but hey...some of you bring it on yourselves) but... we let in 3 goals tonight against Luton with a full strength squad. Fair enough, we scored 4 more eventually but... is nobody else a little bothered by that? A team stronger than Luton will eventually show up our defence if they keep playing like that surely...?

• Advertisement
Advertisement