Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The FA Cup 3rd round thread (predictions/scores/results)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    http://rapidshare.de/files/10604380/VID0004_EDIT0002.AVI.html

Alonsos goal. Connection is so pathetic its all I can do for now.

Plus, I'm off to the pub to get a good seat for MOTD!

Great stuff. Thank you thank you thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Thanks Joe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Davei141 wrote:
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    LOL, have you ever played soccer???

Ctrl-alt-delete, my left foot isn't that much weaker than my right but I used to play a lot of soccer. I tell you what I'm training my under 13 team on tuesday night. I'll get them to try and see how they get on and I'll try it 5 times with my left foot and I'll post up the results?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

irish1 wrote:

Ctrl-alt-delete, my left foot isn't that much weaker than my right but I used to play a lot of soccer. I tell you what I'm training my under 13 team on tuesday night. I'll get them to try and see how they get on and I'll try it 5 times with my left foot and I'll post up the results?

Video it please for proofs :)

Sorry Rickylovesuall you'll just have to take my word for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

irish1 wrote:
    Davei141 wrote:
    I used to take goal/free/corner kicks for my under 13 team
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    irish1 wrote:
    Sorry Rickylovesuall you'll just have to take my word for it.

LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

irish1 wrote:

il trust you on this, try it and honestly post up the results and we'l see ;)

Yep will do, be interesting to see how my under 13 team do :D

They are pretty good, won 6 out of 6 so far this season, including 3 games in the SFAI cup, we'r in the last 32 now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Brilliant stuff, game of the season so far, best since CL Final in fact! Liverpool are giving great returns for the neutrals in terms of visual feast. Loved:
    • Xabi
    • "3-1, and you fúcked it up, 3-1...."
    • The BBC analysis collapsing into fits of giggling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

irish1 wrote:
    including 3 games in the SFAI cup, we'r in the last 32 now!!

fair play and well done - but did any of them get you there by scoring a goal from inside their own half, on their weaker foot and by getting the power and accuracy right? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

NoelRock wrote:
    Don't mean to accuse my fellow Liverpool fans of being overzealous (but hey...some of you bring it on yourselves) but... we let in 3 goals tonight against Luton with a full strength squad. Fair enough, we scored 4 more eventually but... is nobody else a little bothered by that? A team stronger than Luton will eventually show up our defence if they keep playing like that surely...?

Thats not really the spirit of the FA cup, it was a good game, they were very good, liverpool have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I stuck €20 on Liverpool at HT. Odds wern't great (15/8) — wish I had waited til we were 3-1 down! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Crackin game, just what the FAcup is about. NOW THATS ENTERTAINMANT! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

irish1 wrote:
    I would score from there on my so called weaker foot without any hassle, remember Alonso is a top pro when you say weaker foot you mean the less favoured foot of professional footballer who has been training every day for probably 10 years. If he missed it I would be surprised not the other way around.

Right so, and I'm deadly serious here. I'll meet you at a mutually convenient time and place and youcan first have a few goes with a stationary ball on the half way line. thenwell go back 15 yards and you have to beat me and shoot with your bad foot.

You on?

EDIT. Actually, you can use whichever foot suites you. EDIT

EDIT 2: right there are ex pros on MOTD now saying its a really hard thing to do, I think i'll trust them. Not that I need to as I've tried shooting from ridiculous distances while messing about and struggled to come close. I would consider myself a very good passer of a ball EDIT 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I too would be interested to see The Muppet and Irish1 do this.
    Irish1 wrote:
    Any of my under 13 team would score from there, seriously lads anyone that plays soccer on a regular basis and is half decent would hit the target from there 9 out of 10 times.
    TheMuppet wrote:
    Alonsos goal was nothing special , I would expect any pro football to be able to score into an empty net from there.

So whats it to be?

I'm doing it tuesday night you can see the results when I post them up, by the way have a look at the Goal again Alonso didn't have to beat anyone the defender ran away from him.

I really can't understand why people think this is so difficult, especially for a player of Alonso's ability, I mean I have seen him hit passes as long straight to the feet of a player never mind between 2 goal posts 24 feet apart!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

zabbo wrote:
    I too would be interested to see The Muppet and Irish1 do this.

So whats it to be?

I'll be doing mine blindfolded with one arm behind my back.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Although i did score from the halfway line last season, while playing at left back (keeper was in his box, too) ill admit its a very hard feature to pull off. Mine was a fluke, because i didnt mean it. The keeper was dodgy, too, and i hit it harder than id hoped. But then it went in!

I understand why you'd think its easy coz he is a professional, but the thing is, its not that easy!

Ive seen matches where the keeper is scrambling back to his goal in injury time after a corner, and for the opposition to shoot and miss. It happens. Granted, im sure on more than one occasion it was Steffen Freund, but...

You could see how pissed off Gerrard was that Alonso didnt pass to him, so he could try the "David Beckham" until he saw it was over the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I think a bit of the auld STFU is in order here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Alonso's second goal was nothing special for a player of his calibre.
    Now his first goal was a fantastic strike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭OTliddy

I agree his first goal was better than his second, but the first wasn't great, only good. If it was in the corner it would be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Worst soccer thread ever.

Its like a post-match row on RTE between Dunphy and Brady.

Dunphy-a-likes: It was a good goal, not a great goal...Roy Keane would have hit the target AND tackled the keeper at the same time.

Chippy drawl: Ahhhhhhhhhh Eamonnnnnnnnn, you can't say thaaaaaaaaaaaaat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

A goal is a goal.I wonder if a certain wayne rooney did the same, would we have the same argument.

The most important thing is liverpool won, plain and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Why is everyone talking about Alonso's second goal? His first was the real peach, superb strike. And for his standards he had been pretty quiet.
    Everyone's talking about Liverpool conceding 3 goals to lower opposition, but ever hear the old clichè about the form book going out the window in games like this? It's what the FA Cup is about, cracking game. Sinema Pongolle changed it again, like he did against Olympiakos (can't spell it) in last year's CL final group game, don't think he gets quite enough credit.

I think both penalty decisions were dodgy. Gerard was never going to get the ball in a million years, while at the other end I think Carson caught the Luton player slightly outside the box. Cisse must be counting his blessings that 'Pool got back into the game.

• Advertisement

Olympiakos (can't spell it)

Got it right! (I think!)

Spot on with every point there mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Glad to see someone shares my concerns...

"Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez accused his players of complacency, despite their incredible 5-3 FA Cup third round victory away at Luton.

Benitez said: "The problem was we scored too early and we thought the game was going to be easy.

"When we woke up the score was 3-1 to them. We got back into it and kept going forward, but you cannot afford to wait until the second half to play.

"I was not happy with the performance. We gifted them so many chances."

Saying "oh, it's the FA cup, of course we're gonna let in goals" is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy and a bit of a tautology and, most of all, a bit of BS. A goal scored against Liverpool in the FA Cup is still a goal scored against Liverpool. Three goals scored against Liverpool by LUTON in the FA Cup is still three goals scored against Liverpool. Great that we scored 5, and grand that we're through, and adequate performance from the team but still... there's no point in being ignorant to everything - if only people could have honest, frank opinions in football instead of "ah, my team is faultless".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Gerard was never going to get the ball in a million years,
    I think this is a bit harsh.

While I think the chance for Gerrard to put the ball straight in the back of the net from Kewell's pass was gone, I think he would have retrieved it before it went wide. The pass was that bad.

It was a fair peno IMO. Gerrard certainly played for it once he realised the scoring opportunity had gone, but he was still taken down in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

For both penalties, I think fouls were committed.

Although for the Luton pen, he was fouled outside the box. Had Carsons foot not been there, he wouldn't have stood on it, causing him to lose his balance and fall.

As for Alonso's 2nd goal, the reason everyone is saying its an easy goal, is because Alonso makes it look easy....

Lets see all the hotshots do what he did in the next week....god only knows how many wannabies will be trying that shot over the coming days.......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Fulham 0 Leyton Orient 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

KevIRL wrote:
    Fulham 0 Leyton Orient 1
    It's 2 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Dunphy-a-likes: It was a good goal, not a great goal...Roy Keane would have hit the target AND tackled the keeper at the same time. Chippy drawl: Ahhhhhhhhhh Eamonnnnnnnnn, you can't say thaaaaaaaaaaaaat

:-) Good one, RecklessOne.

It was a good entertaining game, a good advert for the sport in general, especially for kids - who can argue with 8 goals? But not a match for the purists due to the litany of errors. The BBC are happy though as thats just what they needed, a game with lots of goals.

At 3-1 down things didnt look promising. Indeed when Sinama-Pongolle came on I thought he was playing particularly poorly. Not getting into good positions, not lively enough to get past players, etc. But up he pops with a good goal.

But back to the begining:

Gerrard's goal was a good one but a better keeper would have saved it.
    The 1st Luton goal was an example of Hyypia getting caught square.
    The 2nd Luton goal was excellent, the forward made a great first touch, squirmed away from Carragher who was caught with just the rong momentum and a good finish.

Cisse mised his penalty badly, a very poorly placed one. Why did he take it anyway? Not a good sign to not have Liverpool with a steady good penalty taker. Wasnt Gerrard doing it again recently?

Luton got a third goal from the penalty, again Liverpool's defence caught napping, but it wasnt a foul in slow motion, although in real-time you cant blame the referee, and definitely not a red-card.

Then Simama-Pongolle did a brilliant drift and run, in position for a pass down the inside channel and it duly came from Gerrard and FSP slotted it home well. Again, perhaps a world-class kepper would have kept that out.

Alonso got the equaliser at 3-3 with something of a speculative shot. It had a wicked dip so the goalie cant be blamed for it, not 100%, perhaps 10%, but for many goalies that was unstoppable.

Sinama-Pongolle got the 4th. I was surprised by how well he got up for that header. Well directed, no blame on the keeper.

The 5th, the keeper up for a "last-gasp" corner, and then not racing back quick enough. Alonso hit it well, not to the same standard as Pele in the 1970 world cup which just shaved the post, but well enough. However, Luton were a beaten team at that moment. If it was a do or die situation at that point the goalie would have fouled Alonso and their defender would have sprinted back. Instead, he jogged back and was more or less glad to see it finish nestling in the net!

What about Crouch? A poor display by him and by Kewell. Kromkamp came on but I dont think he did very well. He hardly got a touch for ages. It will take time for him to settle in and perhaps this match, away to Luton in the Cup, poor pitch, etc, with the game in somewhat disarray was not the best time to blood him.

Overall, entertainment, but you wouldnt want to see this week in week out. It reminded me of the times Liverpool used to have those 4-3 wins against Newcastle. Brilliant games, and excitement, but no wonder Houllier, Evans, etc were under such high stress. These 5-3 games are not good for managers.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fulham have got one back.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Sunderland 1 Northwich 0
    Fulham 1 Leyton Orient 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Although for the Luton pen, he was fouled outside the box. Had Carsons foot not been there, he wouldn't have stood on it, causing him to lose his balance and fall.

Thats not the definition of a foul. If a player steps on another and falls over, its not a deliberate attempt to impede them, so its not a foul. Otherwise you'd have players running into other players and falling down all the time and claiming "well, I wouldnt have gone down only he was in the way, penalty!".

In real-time and from the referee's viewpoint, it looked as if Carson''s right hand caught the forward and fouled him. But it didnt in the replay. It looked more like the forward ran into the goalie, stepped on him and then perhaps looking and playing for the foul. Like many forwards and players in the same situation, he went down like a sack of potatoes and didnt try and stay on his feet so its hard to tell.

These are always difficult calls and refs get as many wrong as right. Only Carson and the forward really know whether Carson caught him or whether the forward actually went down looking for it.

respider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

redspider wrote:
    Thats not the definition of a foul. If a player steps on another and falls over, its not a deliberate attempt to impede them, so its not a foul. Otherwise you'd have players running into other players and falling down all the time and claiming "well, I wouldnt have gone down only he was in the way, penalty!".

In real-time and from the referee's viewpoint, it looked as if Carson''s right hand caught the forward and fouled him. But it didnt in the replay. It looked more like the forward ran into the goalie, stepped on him and then perhaps looking and playing for the foul. Like many forwards and players in the same situation, he went down like a sack of potatoes and didnt try and stay on his feet so its hard to tell.

These are always difficult calls and refs get as many wrong as right. Only Carson and the forward really know whether Carson caught him or whether the forward actually went down looking for it.

respider
    I didn't see Carson complaining too much about the penalty award. To me it was a foul. Carson missed the ball, left his leg out which impeded the forward. Stone wall. Outside the box though. Seeing as I probably don't know the rules of football as much as you, know doubt you are right, but to the ref it looked like a foul.

Carson did'nt make any contact, the player stood on him by accident, it was neither a fowl or a peno.

Mike.

Sunderland are 2 up.

Mike.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I didn't see Carson complaining too much about the penalty award. To me it was a foul. Carson missed the ball, left his leg out which impeded the forward. Stone wall. Outside the box though. Seeing as I probably don't know the rules of football as much as you, know doubt you are right, but to the ref it looked like a foul.

He didnt complain because he was too occupied with the thought of being sent off. The forward stood on carsons foot and used it as a launching pad for a spectacular dive, never a foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The player certainly made the most of what little contact there was. The decision to grant a penalty was very harsh but once that decision was made it was surprising that the ref did not produce a red for the keeper, he being the last man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

If Carson had been sent off then so should have the Luton defender.

Thats why carson stayed on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The Muppet wrote:
    The decision to grant a penalty was very harsh but once that decision was made it was surprising that the ref did not produce a red for the keeper, he being the last man.
    I agree with that 100%. I can't understand how Carson remained on the pitch once the foul was awarded TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Davei141 wrote:
    The forward stood on carsons foot and used it as a launching pad for a spectacular dive, never a foul.

I agree that the only contact that was made was when the Luton player actually stepped on Carson! But does that still count as obstruction tho? Logically I would guess 'no' but I don't know tbh and would like to here a ref's opinion on the matter.

Either way, the attacker was having a laugh with that theatrical dive of his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Was never a foul, he stepped on carsons foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

He had to have denied him a clear goalscoring opportunity to send him off. If the ref thought that the ball had gone too far ahead or that striker would not have scored then he need not send the man off.

I know its late but spurs are 1 up against leicester.

2-0, cracking strike.

2-0, great goal by Stalteri

• Advertisement

2-1 Ht

Advertisement