Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop Dog Pooping in House?

Options
  • 06-01-2006 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

My girl friend has a Cavalier King Charles
    The dog is house trained for having a p1ss but sh1ts all over the house sometimes a few minutes after she has been out.

Any tips on how to stop this . .

Thanks
    Dec
    PS Its not to bad till you stand in it :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I'm gonna give you a tip that will get me a lot of abuse from everyone...

When he does it give him a couple of wallops of a newspaper. I remember my old dog when he was a puppy pissed on a bed and he got a few smacks and he learned quick-fast that that behaviour was not on. Seriously, it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Disregard the above post, he's talking what your dog is doing :-)

I'd suggest you start the housetraining process from scratch. Make sure to bring the dog outside regularly and keep him on a short lead when indoors so that he doesn't have the opportunity to make a mess. Anytime he goes to the toilet outside praise him profusely and give him a treat too. I'll try to dig out some toilet training links later today.

http://www.wacohumanesociety.com/advocate/tips-dogs.html?id=12

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

is there not something about putting the dogs nose in the poo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

Thanks Arcadian

I'll try it training from scratch again if thats what it takes. :-)

Thanks
    Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

blahblah06 wrote:
    is there not something about putting the dogs nose in the poo

I dunno if that would work man, dogs eat their own poo sometimes, so he mightnt be too phased!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

fade2black wrote:
    I'm gonna give you a tip that will get me a lot of abuse from everyone...

When he does it give him a couple of wallops of a newspaper. I remember my old dog when he was a puppy pissed on a bed and he got a few smacks and he learned quick-fast that that behaviour was not on. Seriously, it works.

this is the best option in my opinion, wallops might be a strong word, but just get the message across that it is wrong, you have to use some sort of "violent" behaviour, what i used to do was pretend to hit the dog? it worked fairly quickly, they are not stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

I thought trolls hibernate? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Smacking and sticking noses in it actually has the reverse effect - dogs don't think that they are getting beaten for ****ting on the carpet - they just thinkin they are getting beaten for ****ting.

Praise , praise and treat when the dog gets it right - go out back with them and wait till they do it.

I have a rescue dog thats still cannot be 100% clean because the owner I took her from used to batter her and stick her nose in it.
    She is now afraid to poo - she will NOT do it in front of me and * if * she sees me watching her in the act she cowers and freaks out.

So NO it's not a good idea.

No wonder Ireland has such a bad record for stray and abused animals with people like these dinasours around :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

SuzyS1972 wrote:
    Smacking and sticking noses in it actually has the reverse effect - dogs don't think that they are getting beaten for ****ting on the carpet - they just thinkin they are getting beaten for ****ting.

so thats why i havnt had to clean up the garden since??

it would be interesting to know how you know this.

Anyway it has never had the reverse affect on my dogs, for other things i teach my dogs i use the praising and rewarding technique, normally for things where there is not neccesarily a wrong way to do it (e.g. tricks etc). I have never used the praising and rewarding technique for house training - I suppose if you get there early enough it doesnt matter what way you teach the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Ram a sizeable cork up the dogs arse.(It worked for me for years although i still have the seldom accident)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Oh and the stuffing of the nose in the feces only works for cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

jay-me wrote:
    Ram a sizeable cork up the dogs arse.(It worked for me for years although i still have the seldom accident)

banned

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

deckie27 wrote:
    The dog is house trained for having a p1ss but sh1ts all over the house sometimes a few minutes after she has been out.
    Is this territory marking or is it the dog is afraid to do it in her presence?
    deckie27 wrote:
    Leave the dog outside. :v:

Advertisement