Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completion Dates!!

Options
  • 06-01-2006 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hey all,

just wondering how people got on with their completion dates??
    From what I hear (and read) it seems to be totally hit and miss. Some people get in pretty much on schedule, and others have to wait months.

Has anybody moved into a 2-bed Townhouse in Park yet and was it close to on time?? Ours is due to be finished in February (3rd row in Park I think). Anybody else in that row, and are you optomistic or not??

Thanks, D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

Hi there, I'm also in Park and, judging by what I saw just before xmas, we're the next batch of houses to go (#84). I've just emailed Durkan's, so I'll let you know what I hear back from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Lin03

Hi,

I'm also in the Park, was told that the house would be ready by February and Hooke & McDonald are sticking to that date even though it's doesn't look anywhere near finished!

Also, was anyone else told that the skirting boards couldn't be left tacked on to the walls? When I rang the site office to ask for the boards to be tacked on as we wanted to put down wooden floors I was told they couldn't do this as everything has to be secure and finished. If we damaged the skirting boards when we were removing them we could ask for replacements.
    But surely we will damage the wall if we have to remove the skirting boards??

Any advice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 macey

Lin03 wrote:
    Hi,
    Also, was anyone else told that the skirting boards couldn't be left tacked on to the walls? When I rang the site office to ask for the boards to be tacked on as we wanted to put down wooden floors I was told they couldn't do this as everything has to be secure and finished. If we damaged the skirting boards when we were removing them we could ask for replacements.
    But surely we will damage the wall if we have to remove the skirting boards??

Any advice?

I was told the same thing. That it was easier for them to put skirting boards down on all the units but if you had to take them up they would come back and replace them. My friend had to replace hers when she moved into her place and the wall was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭lastsaturday

we were first in the queue to buy our house back in June 2004. we were told Sept 05 then Nov 05, then got our completion letter on the 28-11-05 to close on the 24-12-05.. guess what? we're still living in our old home. had to give back the deposit to the new tenants and a couple of quid for putting them out.. and we still haven't even snagged yet... :mad:

so now we need re-advertise the current house and pay the interest on the new mortgage, because it has been drawn down.. and still pay the monthly on the old house..

our solicitor says there is nothing we can do either.. only if the completion letter is sent to them is it a legally binding document.. smart little feckers aren't they (the developers)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭NewHome

That's terrible lastsaturday. I hope things are rectified shortly. Our experience couldn't have been more different. We rang Hooke and MacDonald late last August (05) to see if there were any houses left, put down a deposit and 4 months later we snagged and closed, and moved in last week. It seems very strange that your house is taking so long. have the builders given you any reason for it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 newcomeramy

We rang builers this week to get an update, (we're buying 2 bed ground floot apt in CP.) The row closest to the huge green going up to the 'Crescent' apts.

And they said that they were sending out a letter on Feb 7th to advise that we could snag within a week. So we calculate that we might be in around feb 20th. Haven't actually been into apt yet so cant realy say whether its looking ready yet but they stil havent put the road down infront of the apt.

We paid deposit on Aug 05, and were advised completion jan 06 but then they wrote to us saying November 05. So it looks like completion 2 months later than expected. Luckily our landlord has let us extend our lease so no real issue here.

I hope this helps those who are still to complete and are a bit in the dark.

well, we finally done it.. we actually snagged the house on saturday (and found 153 things for them to do) but anyway.. looks like the homestretch now..

they reckon they'll be complete by thursday, so i'm taking bets now..

50-1 they successfully complete the entire list by friday afternoon.
    20-1 they successfully complete the entire list by next friday afternoon.
    2-1 they "complete" the list by friday afternoon and expect us to close.
    3-2 they argue the list is too comprehensive and don't complete at all.
    5-4 come February we end up involving the solicitors and they complete the list, leaving us to move in late July.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

well, we finally done it.. we actually snagged the house on saturday (and found 153 things for them to do) but anyway.. looks like the homestretch now..

Congratulations lastsaturday, you'll be one of us soon (hopefulyl a good thing?)

they reckon they'll be complete by thursday, so i'm taking bets now..

50-1 they successfully complete the entire list by friday afternoon.
    20-1 they successfully complete the entire list by next friday afternoon.
    2-1 they "complete" the list by friday afternoon and expect us to close.
    3-2 they argue the list is too comprehensive and don't complete at all.
    5-4 come February we end up involving the solicitors and they complete the list, leaving us to move in late July.

;)

I think that's the smart money - though for 2:1 would expect another week tacked onto that!

What odds do I get for the following:

I reckon you will just keep getting phone calls from Durkans telling you the list is complete, when it isn't at all.

You will not be given a list of what they have actually done, so you have to go through the whole thing again. You send in the 2nd snag list (with at least 50% of the outstanding points still to be done) and you will get another call from Durkans, and the whole process starts again.

Repeat above steps until exhausted, until you just decide to sign off on the bloody thing, and hope they will fix the minor problems when you are in.

eoin_s wrote:

I reckon you will just keep getting phone calls from Durkans telling you the list is complete, when it isn't at all.

You will not be given a list of what they have actually done, so you have to go through the whole thing again. You send in the 2nd snag list (with at least 50% of the outstanding points still to be done) and you will get another call from Durkans, and the whole process starts again.

Repeat above steps until exhausted, until you just decide to sign off on the bloody thing, and hope they will fix the minor problems when you are in.

the odds on that happening aren't worth betting on Eoin_s... 1-4 maybe?

thing is, anyone i've spoken to who's moved in to a new house with items still outstanding on the snaglist, have never had them completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 dublingirl

We rang builers this week to get an update, (we're buying 2 bed ground floot apt in CP.) The row closest to the huge green going up to the 'Crescent' apts.

And they said that they were sending out a letter on Feb 7th to advise that we could snag within a week.

I've bought a 2 bed apartment in the Park too - apartments off the first row of townhouses - anywhere near you? I'm still waiting to get my letter to snag too and looks very close to completion - they seem to be having probs fitting the kitchen cos everything else seems to be done

• Advertisement

Woo-Hoo, i'm collecting the keys today!!! should be around the estate in a big oul' van on the weekend!

happy days!!!

now, where did i leave that champagne???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Do_nal

Congrats Last saturday, happy moving!!

Hopefully won't be too far behind you, were told last week we'd be ready to snag the first week in March. I bought with SJ by the way, so know the connections there!! :D D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭SJ

That's fantastic news lastsaturday congrats to you both! Looking forward to having some neighbourly drinkies soon yipeeeeeeee! :D

Do_nal wrote:
    Congrats Last saturday, happy moving!!

Hopefully won't be too far behind you, were told last week we'd be ready to snag the first week in March. I bought with SJ by the way, so know the connections there!! :D D
    that's cool Do_nal, just in time for the summer barbies!

yeah, i knew you were SJ's other half... Marie was telling us, at Lisas B'day..

we'll have to get together soon, now you've got two places to stay, whilst you'r waiting for completion.. :)

house party asap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

eoin_s wrote:
    Congratulations lastsaturday, you'll be one of us soon (hopefulyl a good thing?)

I think that's the smart money - though for 2:1 would expect another week tacked onto that!

We need to get together to discuss these things and get it publicised. I've found it a nightmare trying to get Durkans to do anything unless you call time and time again. I'm really sorry I did not do a more thorough snag list. If we are experiencing the same sh!t "service" a an e-mail to Orla Durkan itemising our gripes and issues would be a great idea. Will discuss with anybody who is in the Script Bar on Sunday. (at half-time!)

best thing to do is to hound the site manager in my experience. the developers are so far removed from the whole thing, they couldn't really care less. make friends with the site manager, and make him think he's doing you a special favour. i found our guy to be very nice and accomodating. (although he did call me his personal migraine by the end of it all. (oops, I hope he was just kidding with me)).. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Do_nal

that's cool Do_nal, just in time for the summer barbies!

yeah, i knew you were SJ's other half... Marie was telling us, at Lisas B'day..

we'll have to get together soon, now you've got two places to stay, whilst you'r waiting for completion.. :)

house party asap!

Cheers Last,
    yeah looking forward to a few house-warmings and loadsa barbies this summer!
    See you soon no doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 howeyar

Has anyone got orla's email from durkans...lost the letter about snagging and need to mail her my snag!!! please!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭cuddydale

Advertisement