Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

peugeot 406 coupe?

Options
  • 06-01-2006 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

hey, i'm looking at buying a second hand car for under 10000. on my search i found a 98 peugeot 406 coupe with 74k on it. has had a clutch replacement, and timing belt done. it under €7000 too, which is really what i'm looking at spending.

anyway, my old man says i'm nuts if i but one, cos of petrol, and the price of parts. anybody know how costly parts are for this car? anybody have one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I used to share a house with a guy who had one (2.0 petrol) and he never had any problems with his one.

The vast majority of the parts will be standard ones from the higher end 406 saloons so they shouldn't be any dearer than normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

It's a nice car but the build quaility of ALL peugeots is cack. A part will go every month guaranteed. I had two and my father had several. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭akw_old

It's a nice car but the build quaility of ALL peugeots is cack. A part will go every month guaranteed. I had two and my father had several. Never again.

dont know if fully agree with that. i had a 205 before, was brilliant. my old man ahve a 406 coupe and always buys peugeots. his job means he drives around the country all the time, clocking up mileage, and he's had little trouble with them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

the build quaility of ALL peugeots is cack.

my 106 has only need €150 of work (apart from services) in the 5 years I have it... so I'm not sure how correct that is...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I did 80k miles in high mileage ten year old peugeots and never replaced anything more than service parts, both died, for, not for anything major, just decided not to spend more than they were worth to fix em (they were worth hundreds not thousands of euros)

but i was lucky

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

My family have owned two peugeots from new - a 306 diesel and a 406 1.8 petrol. I used to drive the 406 quite a bit. Neither gave problems with over 80k miles between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I considered a 406 coupe, but bought the 520 instead. I think they're a great looking car. A guy I know replaced his Calibra with one, and really likes it.
    I used to have an '89 405 diesel estate, and the main problems with it were electrical (it was 10 years old with 140k on it when I sold it on!). Was really comfortable to travel in, though (although it was a bit loud!!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭pele10

I just sold a 306, which I had for four years, hardly ever gave trouble, got it serviced once a year and that was the only cost. I was looking at 406 coupe but insurance was a nightmare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

They have come close to the bottom of the table in reliablity surveys on topgear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

They have come close to the bottom of the table in reliablity surveys on topgear.

Certain models did, not all of them.

I had a 306, never any problems
    Parents had a 305 diesel, never any problems
    Parents had a 405 diesel, never any problems
    Parents had a 2.0L 406 coupe, never any problems

I wont start on my wifes family, who have collectively owned 24 peugeots since 1990, and excluding the father-in-laws current 1.6L Diesel 407 which has been troublesome, they have all been worthy cars.

That is 28 peugeots I have had personal experience and 1 (3.6%) has given some hassle, although nothing major. Based on this I don't agree with your comment on all peugeots being cack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Fantastic looking car :)

Apart from that it's mainly a standard 406 underneath. The Coupe demanded a huge premium when new just for its looks, but older ones can now be picked up for reasonable money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭akw_old

wouldn't be too worried bout the insurance. just go as a named-driver. been driving 6 years and no claims. can hardly get bad again.

hmmm, i'll have to think about it. i respect the top gear surveys myself.

just worried that replacing parts will be a nightmare, will have to look into it.

beautiful car though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shane1234

I have a 406 coupe for sale. Every Extra you can think of and NCT for two years. Its met silver, petrol. Great Car!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I've worked on a few of the 406 coupe and the price of parts is ridiculous (620euros for a bonnet, 248 euros for a headlamp) The build quality is a joke and every body part on the coupe is different to the saloon. Then the electrical system is a major headache. I could go on about squeaks and rattles. I wouldn't recommend any Peugeot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

but for 7 grand...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

junkyard wrote:
    I wouldn't recommend any Peugeot anyway.
    Jesus, this is just like an Alfa thread. A list of people saying they've owned lots of peugeots and never had any bother, and one or two saying "never never never".

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

junkyard wrote:
    I've worked on a few of the 406 coupe and the price of parts is ridiculous (620euros for a bonnet, 248 euros for a headlamp)

But how relevant is that? I've never had to change either in any car I've ever owned or driven and if I had, it would probably have been paid by the insurance, no matter how much it costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I think if someone posts a question asking for advice about a particular make of car its only fair to give an honest opinion from previous experience with that particular make. I've worked on all makes of cars for the last 23 years and I have been buying and selling them for 20 years. Some people seem to think if a particular car is a nice shape that you should sell your soul to buy it even though it might be the most unreliable unsaleable piece of ****e you could spend your money on. People ask me for my opinion on cars every week and I try and give an honest opinion on them and supply that particular model. On the other hand I don't want to trade-in a car in a couple of years time, supplied by me, and tell them that their car is only worth a fraction of what they paid for it. I would try and advise them to make wise choice. Sure people are entitled to buy what they want and I certainly wouldn't stop them. As regards the prices of parts being relevant, if you read the small print on your insurance policy you'll more than likely see that you have an excess on your policy for any amount from 2 or 3 hundred euros up to 2 or 3 thousand euros, and the higher amount for sports cars or unusual cars, so I think the prices of parts is very relevant. I would have though some people knew more about cars from what I read in their posts but it appears that thats not always the case. If someone asked me for my opinion on fitting ceramic tiles I'd admit I haven't a clue, I generally stick to what I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

bah french cars! stick with somethin japaneses :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

248 euros for a headlight isn't even that bad, don't know why this was brought up as a reason to bash the 406. For comparison a headlight for an E39 5 series is 160 UKP (not incl VAT) from GSF. 5 series must be a piece of sh1t so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Although I don't agree with Junkyards opinion on peugeots, I do think his/her opinion is as valid as the next persons.

The OP asked a question, and we all give our personal experiences, and then let the OP make up their own mind.

What is annoying is when someone with little or no personal experience of a car comes along mouthing about haw great/crap a car is, when they really know jack**** about it.

Peugeot OEM parts are expensive, as are some other manufacturers. With the 406 coupe, getting parts in a breakers yard will be tough, as they are kinda rare, (compared to the 406 saloon). So your best bet for parts would be www.gsfcarparts.com or somewhere like that.

my 27 cents :)

Advertisement