Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newspaper Front page as 40th Birthday present

• 06-01-2006 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Can anybody help me here? My Brother in law is 40 soon and I was hoping to get a re-print of the Irish Times on the day of his birth. Unfortunaly, it turns out that the day was a Sunday and the Irish Times is not printed on Sundays. Does anyone know what National newspapers were printed on Sundays in 1966 and where it might be possible to get a reprint?

Many thanks for your help.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

here's a list from the National Library of Ireland of all the newspapers they have on file and what years they ran from and until:
    http://www.nli.ie/pdfs/NEWSPAPER%20LIST%20(Nov%2005).pdf
    You'll need acrobat reader, and it's a big list, but you can narrow it down quick enough by ignoring anything with a county name in it etc. and by looking for the obvious like anything beginning with Sunday.
    The Sunday Independent, Sunday Mirror, Sunday Press and Sunday World (around page 190) were all newspapers I could find at a glance, there are probably loads more.
    If you do find it you can go into the library and get them printed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ShaneyMac

Thanks for the Reply - that was great - I had a look there and then rang the Irish Independent offices and they put me onto a company in Sandyford that handles their archives called National Micro and I've ordered a photographic print of the Sunday Independent from them from 1966 - couldn't be easier. Thanks for you help again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

So what was on the front page?

Blowing up of Nelson's pillar?

50th annual commemoration of 1916?

England winning the world Cup?

Birth of Eric Cantona?

What else happened in 1966?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

What else happened in 1966?

Here's a good list...

Advertisement