Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farcry 1.4 patch

Options
  • 06-01-2006 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used the new beta 1.4 patch thats floating around for farcry!! its supposed to enable AA and HDR...i downloaded it but havent installed it yet. apparently its not supported by the makers so sounds like a leak as opposed to a pre release

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

im sure to have AA and HDR u need one of the new ati x18xx cards
    if u have one then off u go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i though you couldnt have aa & hdr at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

IIRC that only with certain methods of HDR (like Far Cry uses) but other engines e.g. Source engine can do them both toghter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

god no i wish i had one! i've a 9800XT 256mb!!!! why would you need the x18xx cards just for AA??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

HDR isnt nearly as big a strain on your gfx as its said to be, will cost you 5-10 FPS tops, 9800XT should handle it no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Wahoo!!! i cant wait to see the game with HDR enabled i mean it already looks the dogs b*llox without AA or HDR imagine it with them!!!

drools over keyboard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

jones wrote:
    it already looks the dogs b*llox without AA or HDR imagine it with them!!!
    AA already works on farcry. AA works on any game. You just flip it on or off in the driver settings if the game doesn't have control over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

no what i meant was both AA and HDR on at the sametime! and i think its only those fancy new ati cards that can do that, others can have one or the other but not both
    it depends on how the game renders it, something like the cpu handles the hdr while the cpu does the aa? im not really sure but i just heard that the new x18xx series are suppost to handle all of this
    my 6800gt cant and ive heard that even the 7800gtx cant (but nvidia are suppost to b working on drivers to improve this) :(

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    what i meant was both AA and HDR on at the sametime!
    I know, but Jones seems to be under the impression that AA alone doesn't work right now, because he said AA or HDR. I'm trying to set him right.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

WIll HDR not work on a 7800GT - Is that nto what the Lost Coast on HL2 is all about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Erf? I've got HDR and AA running (HDR set at 11 and AA at 4x) in Far Cry and I've only lost about 15fps. Still nice and smooth though, think the frame rate's an average of about 40 or so (1280x1024).

Granted things are overclocked but still, you don't need an X1800 to run that. Granted again I do have a 7800GTX, still using the stock drivers (77's or something) as I'm too lazy to install the newest ones.

Ri_Nollaig, wherever you heard that from is wrong I'm afraid.

TBH I don't really see what all the fuss about HDR is, it just makes the lighting a bit nicer. It does look a bit prettier in places, but only if you look for it. I'm generally too preoccupied with getting shot at to admire how beautiful the light coming through the trees is.
    That said the regulator level is supposed to be quite good with it on.

As for the Lost Coast, the level design was made so that you can't NOT see HDR in effect, worked quite well actually. When I get the time I'll check it out with Splinter Cell to see how that looks with it on.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'd like to see screen shots side by side showing HDR on and off - cos for the like of me I cant see that much of a difference.

Spike wrote:
    As for the Lost Coast, the level design was made so that you can't NOT see HDR in effect, worked quite well actually
    I haven't tried lost coast yet, but I got to experience HDR in cs:s de_nuke, and it wasn't that impressive. If you look at something really bright it gradually gets darker, but I never really experienced it the other way round, going into a dark an not being able to see well for a couple of seconds :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    im sure to have AA and HDR u need one of the new ati x18xx cards
    if u have one then off u go :)
    I have HDR and AA in HL2: Lost Coast on my ATI X800PRO.
    You yanking my crank?

Advertisement