Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a society?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

panda100 wrote:
    I think if there was a boards soc i should be president

But you're a.. a... woman? Baah they get one woman pressie of the country and they start to feel all empowered. Da always said he rued the day he bought my ma that power cooker.... soon as the dinner was over she out the door joining the womens liberation movement or the bridge club or something like that. No no no Josephine you just sit down there now and knit me a scarf. Good girl. *Pat*

Heh heh. Joke. Go women... Ahem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

My most recent idea is an Airsoft/Paintball society/club!

Anyone have a clue as to why there's no paintball soc already, as there seems to be in other unis :confused: I would think there'd be a big demand for it. Safety reasons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

The rifle club seemed to organise a few paintball trips last year, but the turnout looked quite low.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Way OT but wow, my posts back then are so toolish.

Edit/ yes the irony is delicious:rolleyes:

Do you reckon theres a demand for it Dave?

Waltons wrote:
    The rifle club seemed to organise a few paintball trips last year, but the turnout looked quite low.

Yeah that's surprising... I got in touch with them bout a trip and they didn't even have enough people to get it going. About 4 or 5 altogether... in a college with thousands! :eek:

As far as I remember though, they didn't advertise it very well... They sent around emails to all riflesoc members, but not alot of people are interested in shooting air-rifles(so didn't sign up at the start of the year), whereas paintball and airsoft are totally different. I'd say if it were set up and advertised properly that it'd get a fair few members.

I don't actually know any lads that don't love paintball! :D It's just so expensive for a one-off event (I spent over €100 including extra ammo, which they shaft you on) that students especially would struggle to afford it. Discounts and deals would make it easier.

I was thinking a good way of advertising airsoft as a proper sport (which requires some investment and commitment) would be to have someone put on the full paraphernalia with camo and masks and stuff, and come in with a(n airsoft) gun and explain the sport to a lecture-hall or whatever.

Sure, most people would think it's nuts and we're gimps :D, but I'd say the cowboys and indians in alot of lads would make them interested.

Anyways just throwin around ideas!
    Scraggs wrote:
    Way OT but wow, my posts back then are so toolish.

Edit/ yes the irony is delicious:rolleyes:

Do you reckon theres a demand for it Dave?

Yeah you're a tool :D

I do think there's demand for it, yeah! In my experience most blokes are interested in playing paintball in theory, but it's too much hastle to organise with mates, and it's too expensive anyway. So if it were organised by a society and discounts were gotten (as most colleges manage to get), then it'd get a good response.

Airsoft is only a new sport over here, but there's a growing interest since it was legalised recently. I don't imagine that alot of people would take the plunge and pay €300 for a gun, but (a) there will most likely be a handful of people already interested but having no group to "skirmish"(as we call it in the biznisss :D) with, and (b) I'd say others could be won over if they witness a game or if people give them a loan of guns (which I don't think is outside the realms of possibility).

So yeah, I'd say there's an interest :)

Again anyone know why there's no UCD paintball club when there's a TCD, DCU, and Tallaght IT one(to name the few I'm aware of)? Surely there's a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Just to temper the general enthusiasm:

The college are cutting down on quite random societies getting recognised. You're going to have to be able to justify it

A society takes a lot of time, even just sending e-mails and stuff

In your first year you won't get a grant at all

Your best bet is to see if there ever was an "Astro-soc" which is inactive. Then you just talk to Butler and ask can you take over. Beauty is you'll get a grant then!

You need a senior treasurer (lecturer).

If you're dealing with something like paintball, insurance is going to be an issue and you'll have to put a good bit of work into that.

Angling wouldn't be a society, it would be a club, you wouldn't deal with Butler, you'd deal with someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

You need a senior treasurer (lecturer)
    I think a senior treasurer can be anyone who's been graduated for over 2 years ie it can also be a postgrad.

Oh and I'm pretty sure theres a paintballing club down in UCC-the skull logo that UCC clubs have goes very well with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

DaveMcG wrote:
    I think Petsoc is a good idea...! It'd probably be filled with girls and I'd be thought to be a bit on the homosexual side... but there's loads of people with pets and sh!t.

And your real reason becomes exposed! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I tried to set up a nature watching society in first year but got nowhere. There were some people interested, including some lecturers, but Mr. Butler kept putting me off and placing obstacles in the path... I would be interested in Animalsoc... it could be a broad-church soc which could cater for my interests in the natural world.*

*NO SCRAGGS... not what I know you will be thinking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

DaveMcG wrote:

I was thinking a good way of advertising airsoft as a proper sport

Whats airsoft?Sounds like a new fabric conditioner or something?

Ive always been to scared to go paintballing ever since PJ got his eye blinded doing it in Byker grove.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

paintballing is great

and if you pick your shot more carefully you won't go through €100 worth of ammo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

What would one typically spend on a days paintballing. Wheres a good place to go?

I think a senior treasurer can be anyone who's been graduated for over 2 years ie it can also be a postgrad.

Quoted directly from the Code of practice for stude society finances
    All societies must have a senior treasurer who is a full time member of staff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I almost set up a society over the summer before realising that I absolutly didn't have the time for it, but this is what Butler told me was needed for recognition:

30 signatures of registered students supporting the establishment of the society must be submitted;
    a mission statement must be submitted;
    a constitution must be submitted;
    a plan of activity for the first year of operation must be submitted;
    the society must be open for membership to all students.

This information then goes before the Recognition Committee, at which time you will also be invited to appear to make a case for the establishment of the society.

Pain in the arse tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Quoted directly from the Code of practice for stude society finances
    All societies must have a senior treasurer who is a full time member of staff
    ...which, surely, can be a Masters or PhD student who works as a tutor or on full-time research stuff within the University?

...which, surely, can be a Masters or PhD student who works as a tutor or on full-time research stuff within the University?
    ZING!! I know cos my friend is a senior treasurer and he's in 3rd phD!!! yea baby

panda100 wrote:
    Whats airsoft?Sounds like a new fabric conditioner or something?

Have a look on the boards Airsoft forum for a bit of an explaination...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=830

It's basically pellet guns (y'know the ones you buy in spain for the laugh), only they're fully automatic and fire @ around 320 feet per second. The sport is played the same way as paintball basically.

I'm only a newbie, but I've bought a gun and am just waiting for a site to open in the Republic (then there'll be games organised through boards for starters, then it should spread quite rapidly).
    Garret wrote:
    and if you pick your shot more carefully you won't go through €100 worth of ammo

I didn't say I spent €100 on ammo, re-read my post.
    What would one typically spend on a days paintballing. Wheres a good place to go?

I only went the once, but there was around 30 of us and most spent around €100 altogether. €50 to play, 2 ammo packs "free", then €10 for each ammo refill, which you pay for at the end (so you don't know how much you've spent).

So many people (myself included) had to borrow money from others -- it was ridiculous!

I think it was Crossfire that we played in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Socksoc, a sure fire success.

Presumably yeah, Im just pointing out to gubbie that the reason a phd student could be a senior treasurer isnt because they've graduated 2 years or more ago, its because they're currently a full time member of staff (which not all phd students are) or because they came to a special arrangement with Butler.

I will state again so we're clear, it is not the case that *anyone* who graduated 2 or more years ago can be your senior teasurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

There was some sort of Painball Soc a few years back. Not sure how official they were, but they did organise a few events. It died though.

As for Senior Treasurers, there is different criteria for Clubs and Societies. I think that's where the confusion is arising.

UCD actually took part in the the first All Ireland Paintball Intervarsity last year (2004/2005 season). We came a respectable 2nd, behind Griffith College. All teams had Paintball Socs except ourselves.

• Advertisement

Presumably yeah, Im just pointing out to gubbie that the reason a phd student could be a senior treasurer isnt because they've graduated 2 years or more ago, its because they're currently a full time member of staff (which not all phd students are) or because they came to a special arrangement with Butler.

I will state again so we're clear, it is not the case that *anyone* who graduated 2 or more years ago can be your senior teasurer.
    And I'm just saying to you that you can't be a senior treasurer if you're only a second year phD. But thats small technicalities. Sorry I was just written wrong... a la that sentance

And aren't pellet guns illegal in Ireland??

gubbie wrote:
    It depends on the muzzle energy. Some need a license, some do not.

Airsoft guns do not need a license.

Paintball guns do need a license.

gubbie wrote:

Not anymore, no (assuming the muzzle energy doesn't exceed 1J, which most don't).

cast_iron wrote:
    There was some sort of Painball Soc a few years back. Not sure how official they were, but they did organise a few events.
    The details have come a bit clearer to me overnight.

They weren't an official paintball crowd, just some Soc that organised a few trips that year. I think it was Gaisce or something similar. My memory isn't what it used to be! That's about 3 years ago now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Sure Q Soc, the biggest Joke of a society was given a second chance in the summer. It shows how easy it is to get a society going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Sangre wrote:
    Socksoc, a sure fire success.

Hmmm, a friend of mine wants to form an Odd SockSoc actually...

Het-Field wrote:
    Sure Q Soc, the biggest Joke of a society was given a second chance in the summer. It shows how easy it is to get a society

Ya but Butler has a bit of a grá for big societies, especially businessy type ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

What's with the Butler bashing today? The guy's not that bad, and the decisions aren't down to him alone. As far as I know, the Recognition committee of the societies council were the ones who gave Q Soc their second chance. Just to be clear- that means it was decided by a committee, and that committee is made up of society auditors....which other society auditors vote for.....and those auditors are people you get to vote for. Ah, democracy, what can't it do??

Ah, democracy, what can't it do??
    Paint my chicken coup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

elmyra wrote:
    What's with the Butler bashing today? The guy's not that bad, and the decisions aren't down to him alone. As far as I know, the Recognition committee of the societies council were the ones who gave Q Soc their second chance. Just to be clear- that means it was decided by a committee, and that committee is made up of society auditors....which other society auditors vote for.....and those auditors are people you get to vote for. Ah, democracy, what can't it do??

I'm not bashing, but like I think larger societies are kinda cared about more. The Qsoc lark was sorted relatively quickly, but like a decision about radsoc for example took months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ryansx

Does anybody know anything about a planning society that existed a few years back?Its is mentioned of the geography and planning website anways. If its defunct is the procedure for reforming a society the same as starting a new one?

Advertisement