Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unused Argos voucher

Options
  • 06-01-2006 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I found an Argos gift voucher (€10) in my wallet but the expiry date was last May, whats the chances of them accepting it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I would say fairly good, argos have great customer service IME, dont even mention it and just try and use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Cucullan wrote:
    I found an Argos gift voucher (€10) in my wallet but the expiry date was last May, whats the chances of them accepting it?
    I work in Argos, and we CANNOT accept expired vouchers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

rubadub wrote:
    I would say fairly good, argos have great customer service IME, dont even mention it and just try and use it.

Hi

I used 1 expired Argos voucher in the past, it was 1 of the vouchers that they give last year before Xmas spend €50 get €5 or similar and have a date stamped on them, the best way is to give it in the midlle with other 5 or 6 vouchers and if they are busy even better.

Regards

If that occurs ie the person on the till isnt doing the job properly , its recorded as a till short and they get in trouble.
    Where I work, I oversee this area and I have all my staff warned not to redeem these vouchers and they are all very vigilant about it.
    But tbh, it depends what store you go to, it just doesnt happen where I work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Nightwish wrote:
    If that occurs ie the person on the till isnt doing the job properly , its recorded as a till short and they get in trouble.
    Where I work, I oversee this area and I have all my staff warned not to redeem these vouchers and they are all very vigilant about it.
    But tbh, it depends what store you go to, it just doesnt happen where I work.

I can agree with you that it was lucky.

Let me also explain to you what happened to me on the same store just last moth the Monday before Xmas. Also at the time when they give free vouchers, I was buying 2 items, 1 was reserved over the phone, the other was an item I chose while in the shop from the catalog, so I went to the checkout with the Argos ordering paper with the item number and reservation number, what the person did for not known reason after a lot of messing was to give me 2 receipts 1 per each item, but he didn't give me the free €5 voucher that I was to get with the transaction as part of the offer, so I asked for it, what he did was to give me a voucher from the till, not receipt for it or even adding a little note in the receipts. So I will say that the till was €5 down that day. I have to say the shop was very busy only 2 tills open, a long queue and the guy look quite new and a bit stress.

You should let us know in what store you work so we know where not to go :) next time I have an expired voucher.

• Advertisement

Nightwish wrote:

Why do they expire? what happens to the money? You must have some heated arguments at times, if somebody had say €400 in vouchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

rubadub wrote:
    Why do they expire? what happens to the money? You must have some heated arguments at times, if somebody had say €400 in vouchers.
    It is an accontancy thing. It is unreasonable to keep an debit outstanding. THe same way a cheque expires. How would you feel if you gave a company a cheque and at any point they might cash it. THe same principle really.

The money stays with the company obviously but remeber the agree meant isn't at any point they will redeem the voucher it is within a set time we will redeem the voucher. This is not a trick just terms of the agreement made by the person buying the voucher.

It is an accontancy thing. It is unreasonable to keep an debit outstanding. THe same way a cheque expires. How would you feel if you gave a company a cheque and at any point they might cash it. THe same principle really.

The money stays with the company obviously but remeber the agree meant isn't at any point they will redeem the voucher it is within a set time we will redeem the voucher. This is not a trick just terms of the agreement made by the person buying the voucher.
    thats exactly what it is..and to add to that, the voucher the OP has was a free voucher, in that it was given to him as part of a promotion and its his own fault he did not redeem it within the timeframe of the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

God I hate people who moan about or question expiration dates on vouchers.

Now, I don't nor have I ever worked in a job where I had to deal with vouchers, so I don't get this from any personal bad experiencing dealing with customers. Its just common sense.

The vast vast vast majority of vouchers have expirations dates, and there are valid accounting / book keeping reasons for these dates. The companies are not trying to just screw stupid people over. That's just the stupid people's assumptions

If you get a voucher, assume that it has a use-by date and, get this, use it by that date!

The money stays with the company obviously
    Well I think dublin bus give unclaimed change to charity. I thought maybe a big company like that might do the same. If I saw that the money went to charity on an expired voucher I wouldnt feel as bad or swindled.
    This is not a trick just terms of the agreement made by the person buying the voucher.
    Are people informed of the expiry date when buying the vouchers in argos?

Branoic wrote:
    The vast vast vast majority of vouchers have expirations
    The vast majority do not in my experience. I have only seen 2 in the past with an expiry date, both for resturaunts. I still have vouchers for punts in HMV & virgin that get exchanged no problems. Any I think of have no dates, dunnes, tescos. I would expect any big company to have an adequate accounting department. I wonder how much argos earn per year on this.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote:
    Well I think dublin bus give unclaimed change to charity. I thought maybe a big company like that might do the same. If I saw that the money went to charity on an expired voucher I wouldnt feel as bad or swindled.
    Dublin bus don't give out vouchers they are change recipts
    rubadub wrote:
    Are people informed of the expiry date when buying the vouchers in argos?
    It is on the voucher in the terms and conditions

rubadub wrote:
    The vast majority do not in my experience. I have only seen 2 in the past with an expiry date, both for resturaunts. I still have vouchers for punts in HMV & virgin that get exchanged no problems. Any I think of have no dates, dunnes, tescos. I would expect any big company to have an adequate accounting department. I wonder how much argos earn per year on this.
    You aren't very experienced then. I work for the retail trade and it is the norm.
    What you think doesn't actually matter in legal and consumer rights as it is plain black and white in this case. Note Argos have given out vouchers free for the last 2 years with shorter than normal expiry dates. So they give more away in vouchers than I would guess they "make". Dunnes, tesco do have expirey dates and have so for over 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

It is an accontancy thing. It is unreasonable to keep an debit outstanding.
    It's not unreasonable, it's good customer relations. How come HMV & Golden Discs can do it?
    THe same way a cheque expires. How would you feel if you gave a company a cheque and at any point they might cash it. THe same principle really.
    I had something similar, I used to go to Virgin/UGC Cinemas a lot and always paid on my credit card. I never noticed I wasn't being charged until they suddenly charged me €150 a year later! I wasn't too pleased.
    I understand it is an agreement but I think it is very bad customer relations. In the same way most clothes stores would not offer refunds (except if something was wrong) many moons ago. Then one or two offered and most of the other large stores were forced to follow. I would be much more inclined to buy my clothes in a store which will allow me to bring them back if I don't like them and offer a full refund. In the same way I will be more inclined to buy vouchers in a shop with no expiry date on the vouchers.

Dublin bus don't give out vouchers they are change recipts
    In both cases it is unclaimed money that I would prefer to see going to charity rather than back to the company.
    It is on the voucher in the terms and conditions
    Do you ever have people try and immediately return vouchers after reading this?
    You aren't very experienced then. I work for the retail trade and it is the norm.
    I have had plenty of vouchers in my time, does any other people think this is the norm? I certainly do not.
    Note Argos have given out vouchers free for the last 2 years with shorter than normal expiry dates. So they give more away in vouchers than I would guess they "make". Dunnes, tesco do have expirey dates and have so for over 5 years.
    Yes, if you are talking about free vouchers I would agree that the majority have expiry dates. I have some that do not also, walshes food ones never seem to have dates.
    But we are talking about vouchers you buy. I have tesco vouchers which were bought in the store and there is NO expiry date on them. I have also gotten dunnes ones a few years back as a christmas bonus with no expiry date. The ones that come free in the post for clubcard points do and this makes perfect sense, they are basically promotional vouchers wanting you to buy within a specific time, and to buy in tescos. Tescos have plenty of offers on food with dates attached as to when they will end. The manufacturers know this and will produce more food knowing that the stores will be turning over more than usual.
    I understand it is an agreement but I think it is very bad customer relations. In the same way I will be more inclined to buy vouchers in a shop with no expiry date on the vouchers.
    Same here. I would not buy an argos voucher as a gift knowing this now. I honestly would have presumed it would have no expiry.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

I just want to clear something up, the €10 voucher I got was free because I spent over €100 at that time. Its the same as the voucher you'd get if you went in and bought one it just has an expiry date stamped on it. So maybe if you buy a voucher there is no expiry date and they only put it on the ones they were giving out during this promotion.

rubadub wrote:
    In both cases it is unclaimed money that I would prefer to see going to charity rather than back to the company.
    THey aren't vouchers! Unused vouchers are not unclaimed money the store has made an agrement with the person purchasing the voucher
    rubadub wrote:
    Do you ever have people try and immediately return vouchers after reading this?
    I have known none to do it but that is most people understand this and think it is reasonable.
    rubadub wrote:
    I have had plenty of vouchers in my time, does any other people think this is the norm? I certainly do not.
    Well I work with many retailers big and small and it is certainly the norm now. It has legal backing world wide and I know of no court case being brought or won due to a voucher expiring. Not times change so maybe your time is coming to an end. Big companies will steal our money by giving us pretty but worthless cards, wait that is a card shop:rolleyes:
    rubadub wrote:
    Yes, if you are talking about free vouchers I would agree that the majority have expiry dates. I have some that do not also, walshes food ones never seem to have dates.
    But we are talking about vouchers you buy. I have tesco vouchers which were bought in the store and there is NO expiry date on them. I have also gotten dunnes ones a few years back as a christmas bonus with no expiry date. The ones that come free in the post for clubcard points do and this makes perfect sense, they are basically promotional vouchers wanting you to buy within a specific time, and to buy in tescos. Tescos have plenty of offers on food with dates attached as to when they will end. The manufacturers know this and will produce more food knowing that the stores will be turning over more than usual.
    Don't confuse vouchers and coupons. Coupons are of products and vouchers are value based. Coupons are based on a completely different business model. Promotion vouchers of value as being complained about here. Any company not putting dates on vouchers has a huge security risk due to forgers.
    rubadub wrote:
    Same here. I would not buy an argos voucher as a gift knowing this now. I honestly would have presumed it would have no expiry.

If you are being unreasonable you should go the whole hog and just never shop there again.

While you think it is some form of theft legally it is fine and what few companies don't do they all will change. Most of the times companies will exchange vouchers if you go in and say you missed the expiration.

The particular voucher mentioned here was part of a promotion that had a budget and was based on the fact some people would not redeem the vouchers and if the did it would help boost sales during slow times.

THey aren't vouchers! Unused vouchers are not unclaimed money the store has made an agrement with the person purchasing the voucher
    The shop is getting money for nothing, and I think it would prefer to see it go to charity, end of story, you can word it any way you want, voucher coupon credit note etc.
    If you are being unreasonable you should go the whole hog and just never shop there again.
    No, I just wont buy items that I dont think are worthwhile items or value for money.

While you think it is some form of theft legally it is fine and what few companies don't do they all will change.
    I dont think of it as theft, just unfair to a consumer who did not read the small print and so looses out on what could be a very substantial sum of money. And as I said before I would prefer to see the money go to charity.
    The particular voucher mentioned here was part of a promotion that had a budget and was based on the fact some people would not redeem the vouchers and if the did it would help boost sales during slow times.
    I did initially think the OP had bought the voucher or was given it as a gift by somebody who bought it. I was talking of tescos clubcard vouchers that come in the post and are not for any specific item, it is simply a €10 voucher and it does have an expiry date. If you buy a voucher in tescos there is NO expiry date.
    I have no issues with free vouchers having expiry dates.

Morning Star, are you seriously telling me that you think it is fair for a store to sell someone a €100 voucher with an expiry date and refuse to give the customer any form of refund if they don't spend it by the expiry date? Forget about legal points, just think about it rationally. They are taking money from a customer and giving them NOTHING in return...Is this good customer relations?

Gift Vouchers are a way of drumming up business where none exists. My uncle buys me Golden Discs vouchers every Christmas. If it wasn't for him I would never set foot in the store (or any record store as I buy all my CD's off the net). Thankfully they don't put expiry dates on the vouchers. How come they can manage it and other shops can't?

Morning Star, are you seriously telling me that you think it is fair for a store to sell someone a €100 voucher with an expiry date and refuse to give the customer any form of refund if they don't spend it by the expiry date? Forget about legal points, just think about it rationally. They are taking money from a customer and giving them NOTHING in return...Is this good customer relations?
    YES
    What is more it is legal. The deal is you give the store money for a voucher that they will in turn give the bearer sales to that value within a given time. If not used within that given time the store has meet with their part of the agreement. If the person doesn't use a voucher in a year they don't sound like a customer do they? Customer service has to be balanced with sound business sense. Rational says vouchers have a limited life span
    Gift Vouchers are a way of drumming up business where none exists. My uncle buys me Golden Discs vouchers every Christmas. If it wasn't for him I would never set foot in the store (or any record store as I buy all my CD's off the net). Thankfully they don't put expiry dates on the vouchers. How come they can manage it and other shops can't?
    Some shops do it becasue they are not aware of the problem or targeted gangs and credit card fraud. The credit card companies are involved in the push also due to the amount of fraud involved in getting vouchers on stolen CC.
    It really doesn't matter what you think is fair or not it isn't up to you. If you don't use gift within a year I would consider it an unwanted gift anyway.
    It's like talking to a Joe Duffy listener where they get indignant about anything reasonable if it means stupid people lose out. How hard is it to use a voucher within a year? As I said most will let you replace the voucher if you approach them especially if you approach them prior to expiration.

YES
    What is more it is legal.
    I did ask if you could leave aside legality for one minute *sigh*
    The deal is you give the store money for a voucher that they will in turn give the bearer sales to that value within a given time. If not used within that given time the store has meet with their part of the agreement.
    I'm well aware of what the deal is but as far as I can see it's a win-win situation for the retailer.
    If the person doesn't use a voucher in a year they don't sound like a customer do they? Customer service has to be balanced with sound business sense. Rational says vouchers have a limited life span
    Answer this question which you have dodged so far...If it is so difficult then Why can HMV, Golden Discs and many other stores offer vouchers with no expiry date?
    Some shops do it becasue they are not aware of the problem or targeted gangs and credit card fraud.
    Come off it, HMV are a worldwide chain of stores, are you trying to tell me they are ignorant to fraud? That really is a weak excuse.
    It really doesn't matter what you think is fair or not it isn't up to you.
    Erm, excuse me, let me remind you of an old saying that good businesses adher to, "the customer is always right" and I AM the customer.
    It's like talking to a Joe Duffy listener where they get indignant about anything reasonable if it means stupid people lose out.
    What is? Talking to me is like that? Just because you don't agree with my opinion? If you have to resort to slagging me then you're obviously struggling to justify your point. :rolleyes:

I'm well aware of what the deal is but as far as I can see it's a win-win situation for the retailer.
    SO , what is the point you just don't like buiness doing things where they make money? Should they put themselves in a win-lose situation or maybe a lose-lose one. The one thing you can be sure of every business is out for themselves to think otherwise is to put it mildly silly.
    Answer this question which you have dodged so far...If it is so difficult then Why can HMV, Golden Discs and many other stores offer vouchers with no expiry date?
    HMV no longer do print voucher and Argos or in the middle of chaging theirs. I know this business very very well. You obviously don't know it as a recent consumer. I answered this several times by the way, they are all going to change sooner rather than later. Some will most likely go for the extra control with the card systems which don't really have expiry dates at all.
    Come off it, HMV are a worldwide chain of stores, are you trying to tell me they are ignorant to fraud? That really is a weak excuse.
    Your ignorance of detail is actually the weak argument. HMV brought in the card system before Christmas
    Erm, excuse me, let me remind you of an old saying that good businesses adher to, "the customer is always right" and I AM the customer.
    It's a saying not a company policy or the law. THe customer obviously isn't always right. If fact very few complaints ever get past the initial stage as people (customers) are often wrong. For example some people believe they are entitled to goods at the price in a catalogue even if the price was misprint. A price tag in the store does not entitle the customer to the item at that price. I am sure you don't believe me but I work in the business and know my facts
    What is? Talking to me is like that? Just because you don't agree with my opinion? If you have to resort to slagging me then you're obviously struggling to justify your point. :rolleyes:
    Worst retort ever... It's not that I don't agree with your opinion it is that you are being unreasonable. Would you expect a company to hold on to a cheque from you and cash it at anypoint? Cheques have expiry dates as do lottery tickets etc... You are just full of your own belief of right and wrong rather than what is a sensible approach to a business transaction.

• Advertisement

SO , what is the point you just don't like buiness doing things where they make money?
    Not at all, businesses are there to make money and I have no problem with that. In fact I think they would make more money if they were more reasonable about the whole thing. I will not buy vouchers in a shop where there is an expiry date. I'm sure there are many people like me. Argos and others like them are losing out on a whole lot of business.
    Should they put themselves in a win-lose situation or maybe a lose-lose one. The one thing you can be sure of every business is out for themselves to think otherwise is to put it mildly silly.
    No, I would say they should make the situation more fair for the customer. How about having an expiry date but allowing the customer to renew the voucher for another year at each expiry date? That seems more fair to me.
    HMV no longer do print voucher and Argos or in the middle of chaging theirs. I know this business very very well. You obviously don't know it as a recent consumer. I answered this several times by the way, they are all going to change sooner rather than later. Some will most likely go for the extra control with the card systems which don't really have expiry dates at all.

Ok, I haven't shopped in HMV in a while, fair enough. But Golden Discs do still issue vouchers with no expiry date. From what other posters say I believe Dunnes are the same. Anyway my question is still unanswered. I want to know how come HMV could offer a voucher without en expiry date when other shops can't/won't? You said:
    It is an accontancy thing. It is unreasonable to keep an debit outstanding
    . Why was it not an accounting issue for HMV?
    Your ignorance of detail is actually the weak argument. HMV brought in the card system before Christmas
    I think your refusal to explain how some shops can manage to have no expiry date and others can't/won't is the main problem here.
    It's a saying not a company policy or the law. THe customer obviously isn't always right.
    God, you are obsessed with the law. I said it is good policy. I deal with customers every day and I try to do what keeps them happy even if they are wrong 50% of the time. I hope you don't have your own business because it will go down the tubes with the attitude you have.

If fact very few complaints ever get past the initial stage as people (customers) are often wrong. For example some people believe they are entitled to goods at the price in a catalogue even if the price was misprint. A price tag in the store does not entitle the customer to the item at that price. I am sure you don't believe me but I work in the business and know my facts
    Maybe so, red herring though.
    Worst retort ever... It's not that I don't agree with your opinion it is that you are being unreasonable. Would you expect a company to hold on to a cheque from you and cash it at anypoint? Cheques have expiry dates as do lottery tickets etc... You are just full of your own belief of right and wrong rather than what is a sensible approach to a business transaction.
    Ok, If I get a bill from the ESB, I pay by cheque, there is a mistake made and they don't cash it before the expiry date I would accept that I am still liable for the bill. I would write a new cheque. As you are so up on your legal points can you tell me if I am still liable for the bill in this case or is it tough shít for the ESB?

Not at all, businesses are there to make money and I have no problem with that. In fact I think they would make more money if they were more reasonable about the whole thing. I will not buy vouchers in a shop where there is an expiry date. I'm sure there are many people like me. Argos and others like them are losing out on a whole lot of business.

Trust me when I say they aren't vaguely worried about losing business from the few customers who want a differernt view of reasonable.

No, I would say they should make the situation more fair for the customer. How about having an expiry date but allowing the customer to renew the voucher for another year at each expiry date? That seems more fair to me.
    I think you will find most people think what companies do in this regard is both reasonable and fair. Your view of fair and business sense don't seem to be common so they really not bothered what your opinion is.

Ok, I haven't shopped in HMV in a while, fair enough. But Golden Discs do still issue vouchers with no expiry date. From what other posters say I believe Dunnes are the same. Anyway my question is still unanswered. I want to know how come HMV could offer a voucher without en expiry date when other shops can't/won't? You said: . Why was it not an accounting issue for HMV?

Golden discs and Dunnes are essentially Irish specific companies and the risk is lower. HMV now use a different system with traceability to prevent lots of fraud etc... The outstading vouchers left in deffintily are a constant accouting problem and they effectively write off the vouchers and will not redeem vouchers past the last two designs. The terms and conditions normally say that they can refuse to accept a voucher. In other words even the ones without actual dates do actually expire you just don't know. Again this is legal
    I think your refusal to explain how some shops can manage to have no expiry date and others can't/won't is the main problem here.
    I never refused anything and repeating it in the same post is just a waste of space.

God, you are obsessed with the law. I said it is good policy. I deal with customers every day and I try to do what keeps them happy even if they are wrong 50% of the time. I hope you don't have your own business because it will go down the tubes with the attitude you have.

The law is to prevent unreasonable views and designed to be fair and reasonable. Well than your company has a very poor training and customer handling process. The attitude I have does not mean I can't handle customers. I have no need to cowtow to your views here when th dealing with a customer I know policies and procedure combined with conflict resolution. That is how modren retail works. Irish people are extremely in effective in complaining. You for example would keep harping on about what you feel is fair and complain about references to law and policy. Instead of simply putting your complaint in a polite letter to somebody more senior.
    Maybe so, red herring though.

Not really just an illistraton of how common sense is neither common or sense.

Ok, If I get a bill from the ESB, I pay by cheque, there is a mistake made and they don't cash it before the expiry date I would accept that I am still liable for the bill. I would write a new cheque. As you are so up on your legal points can you tell me if I am still liable for the bill in this case or is it tough shít for the ESB?
    ESB is not a retail business in matter of bills for electricity consumption but I'll have a go. The procedure for having a cheque recieved in company normally means they certainly won't get lost. If the company has a record of the cheque and no cheque they will write off the money but if you found that out I'd be surprised. You are more likely to recieve a letter saying the cheque never arrived. The banking procedure in retail would mean the company would mean the account and record of cheque against customers are done at the saem time.

Look you obviously don't know enough about retail , accountancy and business to actually form a proper opinion. It is fine that you have an opinion cobbled together from what you feel is right. That is nice for you but the point will remain the law have decided waht is reasonable and fair. Your opinion is over rulled becasue you simply don't know enough. To have an opinion you should know the facts of the matter first you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

It has legal backing world wide and I know of no court case being brought or won due to a voucher expiring.

This is not quite true. In Germany it's against the law to have an expiry date on vouchers, as they are seen as money (which can only be used in the one store), which also has no expiry date.

mdebets wrote:
    This is not quite true. In Germany it's against the law to have an expiry date on vouchers, as they are seen as money (which can only be used in the one store), which also has no expiry date.

Good point but I said it has legal back world wide not it is the law in every country so what I said is true!!:p Germany the country where it is illegal to show comparative pricing

Trust me when I say they aren't vaguely worried about losing business from the few customers who want a differernt view of reasonable.

I think you will find most people think what companies do in this regard is both reasonable and fair. Your view of fair and business sense don't seem to be common so they really not bothered what your opinion is.
    Fair enough, I'll take my money elsewhere.
    Golden discs and Dunnes are essentially Irish specific companies and the risk is lower. HMV now use a different system with traceability to prevent lots of fraud etc...

What is their new system? Is it those swipe cards that Easons use? Do you really think they are safe from fraud? If these criminals can clone ATM & Credit cards they can sure as hell manage a gift swipe card.
    The outstading vouchers left in deffintily are a constant accouting problem and they effectively write off the vouchers and will not redeem vouchers past the last two designs. The terms and conditions normally say that they can refuse to accept a voucher. In other words even the ones without actual dates do actually expire you just don't know. Again this is legal
    You are trying to píss me off aren't you? I am not talking about the law here, I am not thinking of making a legal challenge to any company with expiry dates of their vouchers nor do I think anyone else is. What we are talking about here is good customer relations.

The law is to prevent unreasonable views and designed to be fair and reasonable...
    WHAT LAW?!!! We're not talking about laws. See point above.
    I know policies and procedure combined with conflict resolution.
    WHy don't you put it in practice on boards.ie then?
    You for example would keep harping on about what you feel is fair and complain about references to law and policy. Instead of simply putting your complaint in a polite letter to somebody more senior.
    How do you know what I would do? You know nothing about me. I never made any reference to law, you are obsessed with law.
    Look you obviously don't know enough about retail , accountancy and business to actually form a proper opinion. It is fine that you have an opinion cobbled together from what you feel is right. That is nice for you but the point will remain the law have decided waht is reasonable and fair. Your opinion is over rulled becasue you simply don't know enough. To have an opinion you should know the facts of the matter first you don't.

Ok, so what you're saying is that I have no right having an opinion here unless I understand the finer points of accountancy? In case you haven't noticed this is a consumer issues forum and we are dealing with a consumer relations issue here. So I have every right to reply. The customer doesn't care about the reasons why, they just see that one store offers a voucher with no expiry date and the other store has an expiry date, end of story.

You have a very condescending attitude and are very intolerant of people who disagree with you.

It has legal backing world wide and I know of no court case being brought or won due to a voucher expiring.
    mdebets wrote:
    Good point but I said it has legal back world wide not it is the law in every country so what I said is true!!:p Germany the country where it is illegal to show comparative pricing

*sigh*

They are taking money from a customer and giving them NOTHING in return...Is this good customer relations?
    YES
    So do you think vouchers without expiry dates are worse for customer relations? Or would you admit they are better for customer relations.

Irish people are extremely in effective in complaining. You for example would keep harping on about what you feel is fair and complain about references to law and policy.
    The only person mentioning the law is yourself! nobody has claimed it is illegal. Stores do not have to accept back perfectly good products either, HMV do though, within 21 days you can get your money back, not and exchange CASH. I know plenty of people who still buy cds there rather than online if they are unsure of an album, safe in the knowledge they can return it even if it is a few euro more. Plenty of big shops accept back clothes too. You keep saying how much you know about the retail business surely you must agree that stores doing these services have good customer service. That is what people are talking about here, not the law.

That is laughable, how utterly patronising and condescending can you get! He does know the "facts of the matter", he knows it is perfectly legal and may make some accounting sense. All we are saying is that we think it is better for customers to get a voucher with no expiry date, most shops I see do it, argos do not and obviously could if they wanted to.

I don't know why there were so many threads about the smoking ban, didnt those people opposed to it realise their opinions meant absolutely nothing, the law decided what was fair. And they WERE questioning the law...

HEY!!! I know you've turned it into a debate on expiration dates on vouchers but just to remind you the OP was given the voucher for FREE as part of a promotion and was given a specified time limit in which to use it...as with all offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Its just tough ****ski , I had vouchers from Aer arann after I was bumped off a flight and they expired I didn't cry I just accepted that I had made an error , one that I will not make again.

• Advertisement

Nightwish wrote:
    HEY!!! I know you've turned it into a debate on expiration dates on vouchers but just to remind you the OP was given the voucher for FREE as part of a promotion and was given a specified time limit in which to use it...as with all offers.
    I know, that was revealed later. I have absolutely no problem with that voucher having an expriation date. And there is certainly not a time limit on "all offers" like you said. I have plenty of coupons at home with no expiration dates.

Advertisement