Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax implications of shares

Options
  • 06-01-2006 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Can somebody explain to me what are the tax implications involved with buying and selling shares? I know that capital gains has to be paid but do I have to pay income tax also? Any help with this would be cool.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Jack_Flash

Can I have this thread moved to the investment section?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

No income tax, just capital gains tax once your gain passes your annual limit (exemption), which is something like €1,700 IIRC. Plus you offset your costs against the amount you owe, not exactly sure how. CGT is 20%. So if you bought shares worth €10k on 1st January 2005 and sold them for €20k on 1st January 2006, you would owe €10k-€1.7k = €8.3k/5 (20%) = €1,660 (ignoring costs).

Someone will definitely correct me if I'm wrong! Have a big tax liability to pay this year though...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Annual exempltion limit is €1,270. Not much tbh.

If you sell them within the same year there are a few conditions.

There is also an indexation table for costs, which began on the 6th April 1974.
    So if you spent £1 back in 1990, it'll be indexed at X because comparing a £1 from 1990 with a £1 in 2000 just wouldn't make sense.

Most of the time its like Ionapaul said but just be aware that there are some other rules that need to be taken into consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Jack_Flash

Cheers guys. I take it also that it is an individuals own responsibility to pay his or her own tax on gains from shares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Jack_Flash wrote:
    Cheers guys. I take it also that it is an individuals own responsibility to pay his or her own tax on gains from shares?

Correct.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Can anyone tell me what the reples are if you by them in an Employee Share Purchase Plan. 10% of my gross wages goes to buy my companies shares every month. I was told you only pay tax on the profits, is this true? What if when you sell them they are cheaper than the price you originally paid for them, are you still taked on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

you then have a taxable loss and can use this to reduce your capital gains liability on other asset sales in same or following years.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Hi guys

Does the exemption apply to stock options recieved from an employer or is this viewed as regular benefit in kind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

share options arent liable to capital gains tax, when you sell the shares after exercising the options and theres a gain ,then you pay cgt.as for benefit in kind its too complicated to deal with here but if the share option scheme is revenue approved you can avoid BIK in certain circumstances such as if you hold the shares for longer than 3 years. theres no benefit anyway untill you exercise the share option,ask your employer and look at the revenues website for your particular circumstances.

Advertisement