Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fixing SeatBelts

Options
  • 06-01-2006 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but I need some help fixing a seat belt. I have a 2000 Micra (GX) which is due for its NTC very shortly. The rear right seat belt is not working properly. For some reason, it wont rewind back up. Basically, you pull out the seat belt and stays there, it wont retract. If anyone has any ideas how to fix this I would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

antodeco wrote:
    Hi All,
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but I need some help fixing a seat belt. I have a 2000 Micra (GX) which is due for its NTC very shortly. The rear right seat belt is not working properly. For some reason, it wont rewind back up. Basically, you pull out the seat belt and stays there, it wont retract. If anyone has any ideas how to fix this I would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Myfront passanger seat belt does that. I just push it back into the slot myself.
    I never really tried fixing it , as its been like this since i got the car and sailed through the NCT twice.
    sorry cant offer anymore help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Try some silicon grease to loosen the mechanism (don't use WD40 or anything oil based).

If that doesnt work, replace it. Don't skimp on safety equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

bp_me wrote:
    Try some silicon grease to loosen the mechanism (don't use WD40 or anything oil based).

If that doesnt work, replace it. Don't skimp on safety equipment.

he didnt say it doesnt work, - it just doesnt automatically rewind into the slot.
    like a vacum cleaners cord , if you will.

edit: well he did say it doesnt work , - but you get my point!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

C_Breeze wrote:
    he didnt say it doesnt work, - it just doesnt automatically rewind into the slot.
    like a vacum cleaners cord , if you will.

whoops.....:o ....anyway, the silicon grease may help.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I doubt if it is an NCT issue. As long as the seatbelt actually works it doesn't matter if it doesn't wind itself up after you take it off

Could be wrong though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭alanlouthzzr

Replacement seat belts are available from most motor factors. If the seat belt is too loose when you are wearing it, if you have an impact, you will move forward until you meet the webbing on the belt. You can do a lot of damage to yourself if the belt isn't snug against your chest, that is part of the reason retracting seat belts are fitted rather than the cheeper static type. Buy a new automatic belt because you care for the safety of the passengers under your care, rather than just for the NCT.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks for the responses. The reason why I havent gotten it fixed is because it goes around a childs seat. The belt is at full stretch when it goes around it anyway, so there would be no danger in impact. Hopefully the NCT dont look at it. As you rightly said, it is a passenger safety concerns, but when the belt is constantly at full stretch, it shouldnt make a differnce!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

could be related, that the belt is constantly stretched and that it won't retract. just get a new belt from a scrapyard,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭alanlouthzzr

colm_mcm wrote:
    could be related, that the belt is constantly stretched and that it won't retract. just get a new belt from a scrapyard,

"NEW" seatbelts aren't available in scrapyards. If a car was in a crash and the seatbelt was being worn at the time it should be replaced. Seatbelt webbing straps are designed with a certain amount of 'stretch' built into them. It helps to lessen the force of the impact. NEW, replacement seatbelts are available for less than €100 inc vat. from Factors. Its not necessary to pay through the nose at a main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

"NEW" seatbelts aren't available in scrapyards. If a car was in a crash and the seatbelt was being worn at the time it should be replaced. Seatbelt webbing straps are designed with a certain amount of 'stretch' built into them. It helps to lessen the force of the impact. NEW, replacement seatbelts are available for less than €100 inc vat. from Factors. Its not necessary to pay through the nose at a main dealer.

rear seatbelts do not have pre tensioners, and would be unlikely to be used in the crash.

by "a new belt" I meant a different one. just as if i said "get a new radio from a scrapyard" it would be from a crashed car. I don't think anybody confuses scrapyards with motor factors

• Advertisement
Advertisement