Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Records of War of Independence

Options
  • 06-01-2006 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

Ok, Now that my query on medals is dealt with, I'll move on:D

Are there any records from who were members of the IRA during the war of independence? If so, Can they be viewed by the public? If so, Where can they be viewed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I'd ask the National Graves Association, Nollaig (google them and you'll get their addy in Dame Street).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Youd imagine that there would be records kept of the men who fought for freedom. Ive written to the NGA but havent recived a reply so far. Admitelly, only wrote yesterday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Historicmind

Try the National Archives as the Witness Statements from the Bureau of Military History cover this period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

I'll try them so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 PBaker

Nollaig . I am a first time "board poster" How can i contact "GusherING" who made the following posting on 13-01-2006, 11:14> I cant find a method in faq Thanks
    I just found that in my house we have the black and tan medal, the 1916 medal, the 1966 medal and the 1971 medal!! Anybody know how much these are worth, not that I'd sell them or anything?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

i heard that if we actually had all the people who claimed the penison for fighting in 1916 we would of won hands down :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

I remember reading in a paper a few years ago that a journalist/writer (Eamon Delaney) wrote to Charlie Haughey in the late Eighties pretending to be an ancient forgotten veteran of the War of Independence, "Cornelius O'Shaughnessy". He managed to get the fake name listed among the official veterans roster and even had two service medals delivered to his flat. No-one bothered to check if he was the real deal (http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0383/D.0383.198811080193.html). Google seems to bring up a book he wrote about it.

Advertisement