Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wow... lag! Eircon :(

• 06-01-2006 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

UGh. Been getting the worst lag while playing UT for the past 2 days. This is the first time I've had any complaints with ping spikes or lag with my year long contract with eircom. but this is ridiculous : (

Probably because of the new speed upgrades being implimented? Maybe my excahnge can't handle it? : (

Or perhaps it's being upgraded... slowly... ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the speed increase shouldn't harm your ping as say if you had the 2048/128 and could get a solid stable 60 ping with that. but then say if the speed was increased to the 3mbit/384 but your line couldn't handle that much you still should theoretically get your old speed as it was running at 2048/128 for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

hmmm.... Still getting the fricken lag spikes. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I think something has gone bad with Eircom's network again. I'm getting really poor speeds. Pings are fine but I'd say in-game pings could be affected. I'm only getting like 300kbps down, usually 1.7Mbps down.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

My eircom connection here in Monasterevin has been terible the past week or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 aob

My eircom connection here in Monasterevin has been terible the past week or more.

I'm near Monasterevan, and my speeds are terrible for the past few days as well, I usually get 800-900kbps down and 111kbps up.

Today I am getting 26.4kbps download and 46.1 upload speeds :( and it doesn't get much better, possible those speeds double at the best of times but that's it. It's like I'm on dial-up again.

Well I guess eircom have finally provided me with an upload speed that's equivalent to my download speed...haha.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

my connection with eircom is nowhere nearly as stable as it used to be either, before the last upgrade it was always 100% but since the upgrade last march it would go dodgy some days for maybe a few minutes with high pings and low download rates but lately over past few weeks its been happening more and more almost daily and lasting longer, at one stage yesterday my pings were over 500 and my speedtest only gave me 145k download and 65k upload which isnt buch better than dual isdn... its back to normal now but its annoying when it goes really bad for no reason at all. With more upgrades coming in a few weeks I wonder where all this is leading too coz right now eircoms network isnt able to provide our current bandwidth with 100% stability so how the hell are they meant to be stable with the new higher bandwidth packages coming soon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just done that speed test and got 1.71mbps down and 104kbps up which is about what i normally get on my 2048/128 line.
    For how long it stays this way is anyones guess.

Hi aob,since your near me and most likely on same exchange try this test out.
    http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 aob

Dcully wrote:
    Just done that speed test and got 1.71mbps down and 104kbps up which is about what i normally get on my 2048/128 line.
    For how long it stays this way is anyones guess.

Hi aob,since your near me and most likely on same exchange try this test out.
    http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/

Indeed that's the test I based my original numbers of 26 down/46 up off, I'm back to my normal 860kb down/100kb up now also, it appears to come and go irregularly, happening a lot the past few days, my ping in games seems to be a case of roulette.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

just tried again and its back to crap again, 727k down, 102k up, quality of service 45%, round trip time 171ms, max pause 656ms and thats on my 2mb line.. not good at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Gonzo wrote:
    With more upgrades coming in a few weeks I wonder where all this is leading too coz right now eircoms network isnt able to provide our current bandwidth with 100% stability so how the hell are they meant to be stable with the new higher bandwidth packages coming soon.
    I belive €ircon's network is in total disrepair - the very first company who makes an offer for €ircon will get it and end up with a huge expensive problem. The tax payers will end up paying :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

This problem is not in the last mile, the usual object of speculation. It's not even in their backhaul, as INEX sites run fast. The problem, when it occurs, only affects non-INEX sites. Seeing as the reseller customers aren't complaining, it seems to be something wrong with Eircom's transit connections.

im on slow speeds again and it effects everything, both INEX and non INEX sites, really spikey pings too, its happening now on a daily basis almost.

Advertisement