Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking graphics card advice

Options
  • 06-01-2006 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I have the following system

Motherboard: Asus A7V8x-x
    Processor: AMD Athlon 3000+ XP
    G-card: GeForce FX5900 GT
    and 1 meg pc333 RAM

I am able to play all games of interest to me (e.g. CoD2) at 1024x768x32 resolution with nice enough effects and some at higher resolution EXCEPT for FEAR. I am able to get the latter to run at low resolutions and with minimal effects but it simply kills the game experience.

I would like to upgrade my g-card and would appreciate your advice as to what card would suit this board in the €2-300 price range,

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Bemused wrote:

I would like to upgrade my g-card and would appreciate your advice as to what card would suit this board in the €2-300 price range,

Cheers!

See http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054870501

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭J2DaC

What slots do your motherboard have? Im going to guess PCI-E. I would go with the 6800GT for about €220.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

J2DaC wrote:
    What slots do your motherboard have? Im going to guess PCI-E. I would go with the 6800GT for about €220.

There are no Athlon XP chipsets with PCI-E, so it's AGP only in that board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭J2DaC

Oh sorry, I misread his post. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

to be honest if you end up spending €300 on say a 6800gt or even 2nd hand 6800ultra it won't be worth the investment cause firstly agp is an aging platform and your processor is going to hold you back majorly. The performance of the graphics card is directly reflected in the speed and capabilities of your processor and a 3000+xp is not a graphically intensive processor so the potential of €300 graphics card is ruined. Try getting a 6600gt and if you can get a 6800gt from somewhere else for the same price go for it cause spending say maybe 150 to 200 won't be that bad of an investment. good luck:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

If i where you i'd upgrade to amd64 and PCI-E, then get a 7800gt off OCUK

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

djmarkus wrote:
    If i where you i'd upgrade to amd64 and PCI-E, then get a 7800gt off OCUK
    You're forgetting that he doesn't want to spend €600+; he just wants to be able to play newer games.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    You're forgetting that he doesn't want to spend €600+; he just wants to be able to play newer games.

Whilst that's all fine and well, there are points in time where you are simply left with no option but to go for the large upgrade.

For example, I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card to a PCI-E 7800 and even though I have an AMD64 chip, I have to upgrade both my motherboard & powersupply just to replace my aging GeForce FX5900. That's an additional hit of about €300 before I even factor in the gfx card.

As has been pointed out, the OP can go for an AGP 6-series card, but it'll not get him much value or performance for his money, and he'll be left with a very short life-span upgrade too since his cpu is also fairly low down the peckingorder and will no doubt require replacing before long (along with the MoBo, Ram and probably PSU too - and another GFX card if he goes for PCI-E)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

the 6800gs is the best agp out now costs a bit tho,

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=316258&cks=PRL

kee an eye on the for sale bord you might pick up a 6800gt cheap:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

I was just wondering if the problem I have on my computer relates to gameplay!
    I have been playing Battlefield 1942 and max payne 2 recently(Before that I never played games on the pc!)
    Now everytime I turn on my computer it stalls when It reads Starting up.
    It's Xp.
    I don't really have a Graphics card so I presume it's powered from the motherboard.
    Any advice?

• Advertisement
Advertisement