Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropkick

• 06-01-2006 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I see the Patriots scored an extra point by a dropkick, the first in 64 years. How does this work and would you attempt this instead of the normal extra point kick?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

omahony99 wrote:
    I see the Patriots scored an extra point by a dropkick, the first in 64 years. How does this work and would you attempt this instead of the normal extra point kick?

Noticed that alright....not really sure what the point (no pun intended) was. Why risk missing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Maybe they kicked it so they would have the first one in 64 years????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

If you are leading by about 64-0 I suppose its worth a try!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

with patriots u have expect the un-expected. if i remember vinateri had a touchdown pass from a fake field goal attempt last year or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

The only reason the pats went for this was as a send off to Flutie, it was his last ever play on the field and I beleive he asked to be allowed kick it and was granted permission as they had already won the game and its one for the books too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

It was a send-off to Flutie alright but the Pats were losing at the time and went on to lose. There are rumours that this was done deliberately as a Pats win would lead to a game against the Steelers in the wildcard whereas a loss meant playing Jax. As for the Vinatieri pass, he claims that was a last second adjustment when he saw Brown (i think) standing alone by the sidelines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭JJ

Yeah, the drop kick is still in the rule books in the NFL even though it's not practical to do so. It was in 1934 that they changed from a rugby style ball to the more pointed ball that's in use today. The new ball shape wasn't conducive to drop kicking but it was much easier to pass with.

Advertisement