Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Food Critic

• 06-01-2006 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

So Ive just got my degree in Journalism and Im trying to freelance my work right now. I really want to break into restaurant reviewing, but dont really know how to go about it. Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭BigArnie

You can start now by loosening your belt. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

So Ive just got my degree in Journalism and Im trying to freelance my work right now. I really want to break into restaurant reviewing, but dont really know how to go about it. Any ideas?

Theres two things, start writing spec reviews as samples, try local sambo shops, nice restaurants, cheap eaters.

Then write or call the restaurant reviewers in papers and magazines and ask some advice maybe they'll throw you a bone.

I'd also recommend you go on a wine tasting course, as to better understand that side of the job. As I understand from reading food critics in Ireland, most come from a food background and not a journalistic background, they're not traditional journalists, they're cooks, etc......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Best thing you can do now is set up your own blog or website, and start reviewing places straight away.
    Send it to your mates and ask for feedback.
    It will become as great asset when applying for a paid job.
    Who knows.... with good word of mouth and PR, it may pay for itself!

Advertisement