Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

satellite broadband

• 06-01-2006 7:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,542 ✭✭✭✭

these are my choice of satellite providers

Digiweb Satellite broadband

Mediasat

Applied Solutions

Orbitlink

Pure Telecom Satellite

e3 Broadband

ehotspot

BROADBAND4IRELAND

Fastnet Broadband

which provider is the best for reliability and customer care and which is the cheapest for installing and cost per month

i would like 1mbps
    somthing good enough to download xbox 360 demos and how does satellite broadband work
    will there be a big dish on my house or what

i would look my self but theres a problem with my my pc connecting to the internet
    so please help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

which provider is the best for reliability and customer care and which is the cheapest for installing and cost per month

i would like 1mbps
    somthing good enough to download xbox 360 demos and how does satellite broadband work
    will there be a big dish on my house or what

i would look my self but theres a problem with my my pc connecting to the internet
    so please help

To be honest I've got Satellite Broadband myself and none of them in your list are any good, they are either too slow or too expensive. Check out Skydsl I have it for the last 7months and it's a treat. Like all Satellite BB it is no good for voip, Online gaming or various P2P applications like Bittorent or the Ares music file sharing network because of the relatively slow ping rate and the lack of the upload speed, The data must travel thousands of miles from the satellite which is positioned over the equator to your satellite dish and this causes a slight delay ranging from half a second to 2seconds and is not the instant “ping” as is the case with Adsl or Cable Broadband. Skydsl did not work with Apple Mac systems last March and I doubt if this changed. Pentium 4 computers with Windows XP is the best for optimum performance. It won’t work with older systems such as Pentium 1 or 2 it will work with Pentium3 but it would put a lot of pressure on the system. The exact specifications required are on the website anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

No, video or voice VOIP, P2P file sharing, gaming, web hosting and it costs hell of a lot of money. What's the F****** point of having it. The Broadband situation is F****** desperate in this country. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

No, video or voice VOIP, P2P file sharing, gaming, web hosting and it costs hell of a lot of money. What's the F****** point of having it. The Broadband situation is F****** desperate in this country. :mad:

It speeds up surfing boards & every other website and that for sure helps. People should really make lack of broadband an election issue as this will be the year for action. Eircom really should be Nationalised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,542 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

[QUOTE=uncle_sam_ie The Broadband situation is F****** desperate in this country. :mad:[/QUOTE]
    here here

sky dsl look good and installition is free ,,nice one

whats 1,000 kbps is that 1mpbs

and do they install it or do i have to

im looking at the 30 euro one

what does priority 1 = unlimited mean?

is there no hidden charges ill only be paying 30 euro
    and whats the advantage of the 30 euro one

this will be good enough for downloading demos right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

what is the download limit they have some **** up way of trying to explain it on the site :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Two kinds of Satellite Internet:
    1) Cheap kind uses your dialup. Saves no money online and only speeds downloads. If you have ISDN or any sort of Broadband you don't want this.

2) Expensive kind is two way. No other dialup / isdn etc needed. Saves money compared with Dialup if you use the Internet much. Nearly 40% of Schools have this. This is for people who can't get any ADSL or wireless broadband, who can ONLY get dialup or ISDN.

They ALL have modest download limits compared with ADSL / Terrestrial Wireless and the BEST ping is just under 800ms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Kazu wrote:
    what is the download limit they have some **** up way of trying to explain it on the site :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's not that complicated at all. Try looking at the explanation at the bottom of the page for their business/premium packages for the best explanation

Priority 1 is basically their uber-slow-lump-everyone-on-board satellite. You can DL as much as you want at that priority, because it's probably going to be really really slow.

The higher priorities cost more per MB, consequently less people will use them, consequently less traffic and faster.

I wonder what actual speeds you'd get out of it since by the sounds of it it's 16 mbps shared between all the customers...

Advertisement