Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi Scroll Saw and Wood Drills

• 06-01-2006 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Any opinions on this scroll saw or this wood drill bit set? What could I as a woodturner/carver use both of the above for? I'm thinking with the bit set it would be handy for cutting out tea light holes or to do the bottom of a lamp base. Would the scroll saw be handy in any way for me? I can't really think at the moment, need some inspiration:o

There's also a bench grinder for €19. I have one already but just in case anyone else was looking for one:)

Also, would this heater be any good to have out in my shed while turning or would it make it quite stuffy and unhealthy if it was blowing settled dust back in the air? Would an oil heater be a better option?

Any feedback appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I plan on grabbing the bits, you can never have too many drill bits.

I have the lidl version of the grinder, does the job fine, but a bit weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

JohnBoy wrote:
    Ditto, when are they available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

These are on sale today!

Quick quick, someone mention a few good uses for a scroll saw!!:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

cormie wrote:
    These are on sale today!

Quick quick, someone mention a few good uses for a scroll saw!!:)

Lite fretwork , decorative pierced work, for furniture. Cutting out inlay patterns, for restoration inlays. Jig saws, numbers, letters ect. Marquetry patterns for veneer,

Convinced yet, get going before they all disappear. Two pallets went in Tullamore in 30 minutes, some guys buying 3 at a time. They must be ambidexterous, or handy;) ;)

kadman:)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I wandered into Aldi in Letterkenny today, and along with the other stuff, was a cordless drill set. It consisted of 18v drill, sander, torch, jigsaw, 2 batteries and charger, all for 39euro. Of course, I had to buy one! :)

It wasn't listed in the brochure though, so maybe it was part of a previous weekly special that didn't sell out.

I was wondering if anyone bought one of these sets, and if so, is it any good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hehe, well I nipped out to Aldi on Kadmans advice, as I did with the set you mentioned about 3 weeks ago byte (they still had of the 4 piece set left in Tallaght too) the door was closed so had to wait until somebody came out the exit doors so they would open, said I just had to get one thing and picked up the scroll saw and the bit set, €45 altogther. Got the 4 piece about 3 weeks ago, haven't used anything but the screwdriver yet which I've only used for about 5 screws so far but it's fine, that's exactly the reason I bought it, because it does the job for what I need it for at €40 for that and the rest:) You can't go wrong with a 3 year warranty either and 1 year refund warranty yolky from Aldi:) I'm just waiting on the powercraft router now and I think that should be about it, unless they sell a band saw for €40 at some stage too:D

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Irish-trucker

JohnBoy wrote:

I have the lidl version of the grinder, does the job fine, but a bit weak.

I've one too , weak it is , but very suitable for light use - i've gotten the money's worth from mine ,(bought ages ago) and am going to buy one with a much more powerfull motor .

John

Advertisement