Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WWE signs up another giant...

• 06-01-2006 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

WWE SIGNS NEW SEVEN FOOT PLUS GIANT
    by Mike Johnson
    http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=15333&p=1

World Wrestling Entertainment has signed the 7"3' (although often billed larger) Dalip "Giant" Singh. Singh, a native of India, originally trained with the All Pro Wrestling school in California and wrestled for New Japan Pro Wrestling, often teaming with former WWF Oddity member Giant Silva.

Earlier this year, Singh had an entertaining turn in the Adam Sandler remake of "The Longest Yard" playing a gigantic inmate named Turley who played for Sandler's penal football team. The film also featured Bill Goldberg, Bob Sapp, Kevin Nash, and Steve Austin. Singh was memorable enough that Sandler used him in several promotional appearances to publicize the film, including an appearance with Jay Leno on the Tonight Show.

While training at the All Pro Wrestling school in May 2001, Singh was linked to the death of 24 year-old wrestling student Brian Ong. According to a January 2004 East Bay Express article, Ong (who had previously suffered a concussion but yet continued training) was powerbombed by Singh. Ong took the bump wrong, landing on his tailbone with his head hitting the mat backwards due to the whiplash effect of the bump. The trainers didn't realize how badly Ong, who told them he was dizzy, was hurt until he got on all fours, vomited, and collapsed. They called 911. Ong passed away while being transported to the hospital via ambulance. The official cause of death was acute and subdural hemorrhage due to head trauma. Ong's family sued APW for his death, receiving a $1.34 million ruling against the school and its owner, Roland Alexander. Singh did not testify during the trial and was not implicated legally in Ong's passing.

EDIT: I just found this link with a few pictures of the guy and he's certainly got a unique look to say the least. Check it out: http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/profiles/g/giant-singh.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

I actually followed APW when he was there, I was initially planning on training there cause Mike Modest was head trainer at the time and I really like his work but then it all fell apart when the death thing happened and there was an exodus of talent that made APW good.

Singh I remember being very good for his size, will fit in well with WWE I think. Other APW wrestlers who had involvements with WWE include Spike Dudley and Vic Grimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Well he certainly has an amazing build for a guy of his size and from what you say of his wrestling ability he could well be a good signing.

You don't happen to know if any of his matches are online do you?

It's possible. I remember APW used to always upload their matches onto the internet and charge 2.99 a download or something along those lines. Can't remember the site though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

I cant comment myself but other sources are giving this guy a rough time in terms of wrestling ability...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

That guy is absolutely colossal. Look at him compared to the Big Show (fair enough, the big show wasn't really fat in WCW when he could do a moonsault, dropkicks etc) but this guy is all muscle, cant see him being a great wrestler though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Wonder if he'll be on raw or smackdown, face or heel. I hope they give him a good story.

Hope they put him on the opposite brand of Big Show cause if they put the two of them side by side it will kill Big Shows gimmick. Not only is Singh bigger than Show but also a huge ton more muscular and intimadating, plus if they are on the same brand we will eventually have to suffer the worst match in history with giant vs giant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

This is the last thing the wwe need, another giant who can't wrestle, who will undoubtly get a huge push only to get released a few months later.

Still he is massive and really scary looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Moomin

Despatch wrote:

You don't happen to know if any of his matches are online do you?

I found this one going around

http://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=066J73S9Q2LHL0OPNV7V6G6QF9

I don't know how long ago that was, but I have to say, although he looks physically impressive, there is no way he could feasibly feature in WWE wrestling the way he does in that video. A 7 ft bag of ****e.

Yeah, **** match that. If he is used effectively and in short bursts he could be good. Paul Heyman would be the perfect guy to book his material since Heyman is the master of emphasising wrestlers strengths and hiding their weaknesses. A 911 push would prob fit. Keep his matches short, maybe have him as muscle for someone else, have him as the occasional tag partner who makes people run away when he gets tagged but has a partner who does most of the work match wise.

• Advertisement

Put him on Raw he'll shadow Big Show.
    Put him Smackdown he'll shadow Lashley.
    Dunno where i'd rather see him, probably Raw at the moment as they need some fresh faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Nightmareofgold

Ws this the chap that jerry jarett had offered to the wwe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

No, he was from Ukraine or somewhere like that, wasn't he? And he was an amateur wrestler before

Some russian bloke Oleg something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I just watched a tag match Singh had in Japan..he's ****in awful! He didn't really put anyone in too much danger or anythin, but his selling is honestly the worst I can ever recall seeing. It was from 3 years ago though, maybe he's improved..although you'd think Mark Henry would've improved after nearly ten years..

EDIT: Actually, I think I saw the same match as the one linked to above. Terrible wrestler from that clip

Actually found his first ever match online from clickwrestle.com. http://www.clickwrestle.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownloaddetails&lid=204&ttitle=WestSide%20Playaz%202000%20(Robert%20Thompson%20and%20Boyce%20LeGrande)%20vs.%20Dalip%20Singh%20and%20Tony%20Jones

Worth checking that site out actually, there is also 3 Rebecca Knox matches uploaded from the APW chick fight tournament in California but you have to pay 9.99 in US dollars which is a tad steep for one match.

Advertisement