Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firefox Adblock and an innocent Flash animation

Options
  • 06-01-2006 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

I have a perfectly innocent Flash animation at the top of every page of a particular web site. It serves as a swishy version of the company logo.

Unfortunately, Adblock in Firefox blocks this Flash anim and so, for anyone with Adblock installed and running, they don't get to see the company's name and logo.

Does anyone know any way around this?

Oh- and as a Flash amateur myself, is there a way of having an "alt" image for a Flash animation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

where is the animation hosted?
    why would adblock block it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

It's on www.net1.ie

I don't know why adblock would block it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Adblock blocks all Object tags by default now, which means that Flash gets caught in the wake.

You can disable this on a client by client basis by advising them to go to Tools > Adblock > Preferences, clicking Ad-Block Options and unchecking Obj-Tags.

As for what to do otherwise, I'm not sure. Is it possible to use CSS to underlay an image of the same size, so you might get a static logo in place of the Flash one should Ad-Block take it out?

http://www.austinville.net/pica/adblock.JPG

fine for me.
    i have standard settings and filterset.g installed.

sorry i cant be more helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Shows up on mine aswell, with filterset G, and with obj tabs clicked and unclicked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

also works for me with obj-tabs on and off
    edit:// i'm using adblock plus, not sure if that makes a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I can see it grand too. Must be just your personal adblock settings. It can be weird sometimes. When I upgraded to 1.5 adblock decided to block all visual plugins, including media player, on my laptop. Didn't happen on my desktop with same setup for some reason.

Strange, it only shows up for me with obj-tabs disabled in adblock.

Adblock v0.5 d2 Nightly build 39 ... an older version perhaps...

I've put in a wee link at the bottom of the page with the text "Using Firefox and Adblock? Can't see our logo above? Click here." that brings up a popup explaining what to do.

I guess it's not as major a problem as I thought...?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

v05.2.055 is the latest version I do believe.

im on 5.2.055
    cant see any build listed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

This is sort of what AdBlock is meant to do, no? A special hell awaits those who use Flash in this particular role, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭BigArnie

You could have a look at this as an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

rsynnott wrote:
    This is sort of what AdBlock is meant to do, no? A special hell awaits those who use Flash in this particular role, anyway.
    ahh come on Rob, its a harmless swf file. Are you that frightened of colour? did it make you cry ? you could of course ditch the flash for a gif/jpeg because it doesn't seem to have a specific purpose on your site tbh...or....use an animated gif! (as hidious as they are!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

ahh come on Rob, its a harmless swf file. Are you that frightened of colour? did it make you cry ? you could of course ditch the flash for a gif/jpeg because it doesn't seem to have a specific purpose on your site tbh...or....use an animated gif! (as hidious as they are!)

I see no good reason for needless moving things on websites. They're ugly, and they slow down navigation. They add nothing.

BigArnie wrote:
    You could have a look at this as an alternative.

That sorted it out.

Thanks, BigArnie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭BigArnie

rsynnott wrote:
    I see no good reason for needless moving things on websites. They're ugly, and they slow down navigation. They add nothing.

Ahhhhhh come on now Rob, Flash is hardly the devil. We all know the arguments against it (particularly SEO and accessibility which, admittedly, are pretty f**king salient arguments) but a bit of a Flash now and again on a hybrid site is hardly a big deal, eh? Live and let live. :D

Personally, I find the whole anti-Flash militancy thing a bit much really. If I can play Mystic Meg for a moment, I predict that Flash will have a huge future on the web for RIA, video, mobile development, etc. It's widely misused and abused as a technology but hey, so is HTML. <font face='verdana' size='-1'> anyone? Let's not mention some of the atrocious looking sites that are even coded using web standards!

When used incorrectly, any web techology can be s**t/look minging but when used right you get good results. Innit?

Okay, now it's someone elses' turn to start a reply with "Ahhhhhhhh, come on now Rob!"

Advertisement