Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How crap is the nVIDIA GeFORCE FX5600?

Options
  • 06-01-2006 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Just got a new computer (well it's second hand, but new to me) which has a nVIDIA GeFORCE FX5600 (256MB) graphics card. I'm after formatting this PC and installing the latest drivers and I was shocked to see I only have 20~30FPS on CoD2!!! :eek:

My old PC has an ATi RADEON 9500 PRO Hercules (128MB) and I get 70~80FPS minimum!

Surely my "old" graphics card can't kick my "new" graphics card's ass??? Or is the nVIDIA GeFORCE FX5600 really that cr@p? Perhaps my mobo is only performing at 4x AGP instead of 8x? Is that possible?

Any help will be much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

All the Geforce FX Series are shit.

Try Running Battlefield 2: You might scrap the game with all settings on low, shadows off, dynamic light off, AA off.

Crap cards. Definately not recommended for playing anything that came out in the last two years, let alone new releases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

I dont want to thread spoil, but whats a 9600XT like?
    Operation flashpoint of all games runs ****, and i have a 2.5gb ram :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 9600XT is grand. It's old, not recommended for the newest games - although it WILL play Battlefield 2 on medium-ish, which isn't too bad.

It's alot better then the FX Line.

As well as that, that card should run Flashpoint on full no probs at all. I ran flashpoint on full with a Geforce 2, which significantly pre-dates the 9600.

If you're having problems its either incorrect drivers, something wrong with the ram or hd, or just computer isn't fast enough...

....but a 800mhz, 256 ram, 32mb gfx computer can run Flashpoint on full.

If you are anyway over that spec and its running like a dog, you're in trouble :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

The rest of the PC is running great so it's probably just a really really sh!t card... Oh well, gonna go find me a 6600 or 6800 on eBay then!

Thanks for your help! ;)

Advertisement